X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 Satisfaction

I am shopping for a first tablesaw and would like to hear from you on how well you are satisfied with the TS3612. Specifically, I have read reviews that express concern about the saws limited power (13A) as compared to others on hardwoods and the strength of the aluminum trunnion as compared to cast iron. Finally, how is the fence holding up after repeated use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't had any problems with my 3612. All of the parts work as well as the day I assembled the saw. I don't think the motor power vs. other 1-1/2 HP saws is much of an issue for typical use. It's possible you may need to slow your feed rate on some rip cuts of thick stock, but I haven't run into anything the saw couldn't handle up to the two inch thick oak I used for tapered table legs (I haven't used thicker stock than that). I wouldn't trade this saw for anything other than a cabinet saw.

[ 02-24-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

I have a much older version of the 3612, and have been adding features, trying to keep up with the excellent additions Rigid has made. I'd highly recommend the saw.

As to power----it's not a cabinet saw, but, with good/proper blade alignment, a good/sharp blade and moderate feed rate, I've never had a problem with my older saw, which has a 1 hp motor.

To also jump the gun on what you may have heard, the webbed wings don't "pinch fingers." They are extremely helpful for clamping down jigs and featherboards.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

What's the differenence between an "older" version and a "newer" version of the 3612?

Michael

Comment

When I say older version----it's a Craftsman, built by Emerson, with the same top, case and webbed wings. The saw assembly is also the same, I believe. The 3612, itself, doesn't have any other models. The basic changes over the past 14 years, are:

Larger Motor
          Increased right cutting capacity of fence
          Improved belt and pulleys
          Improved access to angle stops
          Micro Adjust rear trunion
          Vastly improved fence
          Improved/stronger leg system
          Included mobile base (Herculift)
          Numerous other handy improvements like brackets to hold miter gauge and fence, when not in use.

Point being----my saw is almost 14 years old---I've added some of these improvements myself and the saw just keeps getting better. Last project, with a relatively new rip blade, was cutting 6/4 oak with little effort. Rigid has listened to what ww'rs want in a big way.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I have a relatively new 3612 and was wondering if there was a "revision a" and "revision b" type of thing.

I too love my saw. I have a WWII blade and I'm still amazed at how cleanly and effortlessly it cuts.

Michael

Comment

Hello,
              I've had the 3612 for almost a year now and couldn't be happier with it. Seems to have plenty of power for what I do.

The trunion is easily adjusted through the top of the table and has stayed accurate right from the start.

The fence is dead-on. No adjustments necessary other than the initial set-up.

The only time I had a power problem was when resawing a piece of maple I got out of the woodpile. It was about 3" thick and about 24" long. Just had to slow the feed rate and made it through. Probably would have been better if I had the "good" blade on instead of the old beater...

All in all, it's a great saw for the money. I highly recommend it, especially for a newer woodworker that doesn't want to break the bank.

Comment

I couldn't be happier with the 3612. I was looking to spend aroung $1000 on a table saw when I got the 3612 (I didn't want a cabinet for weight and moving reasons). Some comments: The webbed wings are a plus for me! They are great for clamping and I have a piece of hardboard that goes over the top when not in use so I can still use it as a set-up table in my limited-space shop. Power isn't much different from other contractor's saws. One bonus is that the 3612 draws fewer amps than some others so you are much less likely to blow a fuse on 110V. However, with and contractor's saw, wire for 220V if you can! I haven't used the 3612 long enough to comment on the trunions but I can say that Ridgid support has been great if you ever have a problem. What it came down to for me is: good quality, better fence than comparably priced models, and I could have gotten the 3612 with an Incra TS3 fence for the same price as more expensive models.

Comment

Working...
                X