X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of 12" CMS

How accurate are the miters with the Old Ridgid 12" CMS? Specifically, 45 degree miters. I have a 10" Craftsman and I am not too pleased with the accuracy of the cuts. I can pick one of the old ones up for a decent price right now. My other option would be to buy an incra miter guage for my tablesaw.

The problem your having with the Craftsman, is it when the blade is perpendicular to the table or when it's laid on its side at 45°? I have the same problem with my 10" Craftsman CMS but only when the blade is laid over on its side. When the blade is perpendicular to the table my 45° cuts are perfect.

It turns out that the problem is in the basic design of the saw. When the blade is laid over on its side, the table flexes somewhere in the neighborhood of the 2 o'clock position and this throws the cut off. My cuts were off 3° from the front to the back of a 3½" board.

Sears, of course, would do nothing about this nor give me any compensation. The Service Tech who looked at my saw said there was really nothing he could do anyway to fix this even if I paid for it. This being the case, if your problem is the same as mine, use your Craftsman for perpendicular cuts and check out the Incra for your table saw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm talking about perpendicular cuts at 45 degrees as in those required for making a simple picture frame. Its not out by huge amounts, but when you add up a marginal amount of error over the four miters required to make a frame, you get bad joints.

Comment

I have a Cra(p)ftsman 12 CMS and it has never cut two angles twice in a row the same. It gathers dust and I'm happy using my little Makita 10 inch miter saw (no compound). Going to replace the CMS with orange one of these days. Rick

Comment

Rick,

Check the orange one very carefully. The Sears and the orange one are made to different specs I'm sure but they are both parented by TTI. After my problem was diagnosed I checked out one of the orange ones and found some flexing on that table also. Granted it was the 10" CMS and not the 12" but it won't hurt to check it out.

Dave
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought the Ridgid 12"CMS last night for $399 Canadian, plus HD have that old power tool deal on right now so I gave them an old decrepit soldering gun held together by duct tape and they gave me an additional 10% off. I didn't realize it came with a stand too. So far it looks like a great peice of machinery - miles above my craftsman. I look forward to putting it to the real test in my next project.

Comment

My 12 inch Craftsman is about 5 years or so old. My Makita is 1 year older than the 12 inch one. Rick

Comment

I've had the 12"cms for almost two years now & I can't say a single thing bad about it. All works well & I've done several mitre projects where the only issue would concern bevels on 10" stock. It's why I bought the table saw. You're gonna be VERY happy with the purchase!

Comment

I have the "old" Ridgid 12" CMS. I love it. It is very accurate. It is easy to tune and once tuned holds its settings.

By the way, my Ridgid CMS replaced a crap Craftsman 12" also. I hated the Craftsman. First complaint with the Craftsman was that the single piece fence wasn't straight. If you aligned one side the other was off. I had to take a Dremmel and cut out the bolt holes into a oblong shape and use some muscle to push one end of the fence into alignment. But I still could rarely get two cuts that were correct. And the Craftsman was the second Craftsman I had. I had to take the 1st one back because the knob that locked the miter setting didn't -- lock that is.

Never a complaint about the Ridgid. I love it.

Comment

I just purchased the old version MS1250 and couldn't be more happy. It was perfect out of the box, bevel and miter. It looks like it's made as strong as the TS 3612 that I've been happy with.

Comment

I guess I started this messy discussion-just got back intown so decided to see what comments were posted-sofar which I am sorry to say I expected no comment from Ridgid. As for the request from Rob in Orange, my neighbor-I think he was on drugs at the time is weekly/monthly purchasing everything-good thing he's moving to NE, after the first of the year.
                      Let me be real clear about this, I made a substantial investment 4 years ago in Ridgid tools, bandsaw, TS, Jointer, Drill press, thickness planer, sanding station and chopsaw, due in large part to my previous experience dealing with not only Ridgid but my dealings with Emerson (parent company) over the years, to say that I am sorely disappointed is an understatement. Most of my power handtools are either DeWalt or PC and they get used alot, In both instances when I went to their service centers, the issues were dealt with promptly and with relatively no hassle, I cannot say that for Ryobi, I literally threw an almost brand new Ryobi Router in the trash because I could not get it serviced and HD would not replace it. Due to it's age I do not feel HD will replace my planer if they would I'd return it in a moment, but then what do I have, a Ryobi, no thanks. What I can I will replace with DeWalt, and or Jet and it's to bad because I was a very loyal Ridgid user-customer.

Bye the bye, do I make my living with these tools no I do not, but nightly, after work I am in the garage using them. I actually make my living in sales and marketing so I do understand the importance of GOOD CUSTOMER RELATIONS, interestingly, Ridgid lost a bandsaw sale due to the poor response I received and I never said a word to the buyer, he just over heard how difficult it was for me to get the service I needed.

Comment

Please ignore the above post it got posted to the wrong topic, Sorry folks

Comment

Working...
                        X