X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP 1550 vibration

I have had my new DP1550 drill press for a few months now. It has some vibration and has since I bought it. The middle pulley jumps around and make a fair amount of noise. Is this normal? It sure vibrates all the items in the little tray! Thanks for the help.

Curtis Seebeck

[ 07-23-2003, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Sitruc ]

No something it not right.
    Andy B.

Comment

No, it's not normal. If you haven't checked your pulley alignment (the tops of all of the pulleys should be level), you should do that. Make sure all of the adjustments/alignments in the manual are correct. I had to have them send me a new center pulley to get mine to the correct height. After that, it has been flawless.

Comment

Mine had a similar vibration, and even a quill movement. I had to return my DP1550 for a replacement after having it 6 months. An improperly installed bearing was the culprit, and it cause case damage.

It should run as smooth as silk. My replacement also had a pulley alignment problem. I solved it by shimming the top motor mounts with washers. Nothing is perfect these days. It's up to us to super fine tune the things.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did go through all the alignment proceedures in the manual when I assembled the DP. I did check it this afternoon. If I set a straight edge flat on the front pulley, the middle pulley is right towards the front and drops in the back 1/16 or so. In other words, it is not square with the front pulley. The rear pulley is almost 1/8" lower than, but square to the front pulley.

I am also getting a lot of black "rubber dust" from belt wear and the machine does not get used a lot and is still just like brand new. I figured at first that it was just the belts breaking in but now I am not sure.

I also checked the center pulley again for the amount of movement and it jumps all around and makes a fair amount of noise.

As for getting it checked out...what should I do. I don't really want to return it to HD or get Ridgid to send parts unless I know for sure it is defective and I don't trust my experience enough to know wether it is or not. If you guys say it is not right then I will. (Ijust don't like to cause expense to anyone if there is nothing wrong)

If it is bad, should I take it back to HD or call Ridgid?

Thanks guys for the information. I really appreciate it.

Sitruc
          Curtis O. Seebeck

Comment

The three sheaves ("pullies") should all be in line with each other. I wouldn't pass go or collect $200 on any other issue until that is so, because the idler jumping and belt wear are likely related.

Should be able to adjust them in line. I would be a little surprised if this isn't covered in the manual, because Ridgid manuals are generally the best there are. Don't have time to look on-line at this moment, though.

Dave

Comment

DP1550 Manual
              <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx</a>

Comment

FYI,

My first DP had major belt ware dust in the top compartment. After only about 5 mintues run time, you could rub it off with a finger tip everywhere under the lid.

Return it, get a replacement. It's defective. You purchased a Ridgid with a LT warrenty. Don't feel bad, they will go through it, replace parts, and re-setup the machine, and sell it as refurbished.

You paid for a perfectly reliable, perfect performing machine. That's what you should expect. Shimming the motor and the idler pully both is a problem related to a machine that slipped through quality control that shouldn't have.

You paid for the best, expect nothing less.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X