Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raised Panel Door - how tall is too tall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raised Panel Door - how tall is too tall?

Darius,

I agree with CPW the door, along with the rest of the project, looks great. Somehow I missed that you planed to paint the project. In that case I would have suggested you use plywood for the panels of the doors. With plywood seasonal movement is kept to a minimum. Plywood has a tendency to rip out when routed but wood filler takes care of that. Plywood also saves gluing those panels together.

Paint has a difficult time sticking to sharp corners, it has a tendency to peel. I have found it works best to make sure all the edges are eased. Also don't go crazy with sanding 120 is fine and 150 is probably an upper limit.

Oh Boy, I agree that hardware sure is expensive. Go real easy when drilling for the euros and make sure the bit you use will not poke through the back side of the wood. The point on some manufacturers forestner bits are longer than others. I use the bit supplied with the euro template for hinges purchased from HD. For some reason the bit doesn't seem to work well on the template for installation of Blume hinges. For that I use a Freud bit which has a longer point. I have never poked through but I have measured and there is not much wood remaining after the hole is drilled. I can't see any holes drilled in the case for the hinges. I generally use a drill press to drill the holes before I assemble the case. It is critical that the holes be drilled at 90 degrees. If you have not drilled the holes yet you may wish to invest in a holder for your hand drill. They are not very expensive and worth every penny.

Dust control is always a problem for me also. I use a shop vac and I capture a little more dust than you indicated you do, from my router table, but still not as much as I would like. I use a shop vac for dust on my 3650 and I miss a lot there also. Wait until you get your planer if you want to see chips fly. My DeWalt 735 has a blower/chip ejector (maybe all planers do) I still remember the day I first tried it. "No need to hook up the 4" dust control system for a short try." thinks I. WRONG! That thing made a huge mess, chips were everywhere. Funny now but not then.

As a total non-sequiteur, I am so happy with this that I have to tell someone, after many configurations and lots of interruptions yesterday, I was able to get four kayaks and a canoe on top of my car. (I had to buy another, smaller, kayak to make everything fit but I did it.) My neighbors, their six year old son, my wife and I are off to paddle for a few hours. Finally good, predictable weather for a weekend day. YEA!

-Tom

Comment

Thank you Tom for a lot of useful information.

Right now I have all 4 doors ready. The short one are glued and sanded with 100 grit. The tall things are dry fitted and things worked like Lego blocks, except that it took a while to fit the pieces together due to the small differences in minute warping and such. They're so rigid they feel as if they almost need no glue.

Still, it feels they might be a bit wobbly when closing/opening so I may look into some plywood backing after I install them in the closet. Perhaps a faux secondary frame of sorts? Amy recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks,

d.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius,

The same phenomenon happens to me often. After wrestling around those big sheets of plywood used for the case it seems the doors should weigh more than they do based on the same square feet of material. I bet you will be fine. Also You might want to try installing only two hinges on the tall doors. Three can be a bear to adjust and if you think you need more you can install them later. Two will certainly handle the weight. The only reason for three would be if the center of the door warps a little. The addition of the third hinge will pull the door back so there is even spacing.

How and from what material did you make the drawers? Dovetail? Drawer lock?

-Tom

Comment

I'm not very proud of the drawers. They are pretty simple, partly because of my even less impressive selection of tools at the time, partly because my daughter and wifey wanted a clean and smooth feel to the drawers' surface inside because they claim clothes will be stored inside. I don't believe that, but that's another matter

At the time I only had a skill saw and a router, so I did the cutting as best as I could and then cleaned the edges with a 3/4" straight router bit. I used the press on tape to finish the cut edges. (OK, I lied, I actually had a router, a skill saw and an iron)

The boxes are 5/8" laminated particle boards, glue and screws in the back. Screws can be seen only when you pull the drawers out completely out of the unit. I used dovetail to connect the box to the face. All around, the box has a 3/16" slots for the bottoms. They are made of 3/16" laminated MDF.

The face is knotty pine, with some wood filler to hide the little wholes around the knots, plenty of sanding (150 for wood), alkyd primer and 3 coats of semi gloss oil with 220 sand paper between coats.

Drawers slide out on the usual sliding rails which I believe are called European too.

Now that I have a TS, and I can show some results it will be much easier to justify additional expenses.

The suggestion that I use only 2 hinges per door is music to my ears. That means I can get the drill attachment you suggested earlier. For now, I have been plunging straight bits for things like countersinking and such. I already got myself a nice set of Forstner bits.
          Last edited by darius; 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

This is from the BLUM catalog for the number of hinges per door. It looks like you'll need a minimum of 4 hinges per door.

If you buy a 35mm bit for the cup holes I suggest you get one from a place like;
            http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_200...S35MM&cat=1079
            Thee nipple on the bit ie shorter than normal so you wont poke through the other side of the door. I made a jig for doing cup holes on a drill press if you’re interested.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JJCiesla; 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM.
            Jim

Comment

Darius, Lee Valley has a really nice bit for us Canadians (Everyone else too but you have to order it)
              http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...240,53317&ap=1

Comment

Thanks all for suggestions.
                I went to HD today and I found what they call "invisible self closing hinge". The mechanics is similar to that of euros. They are a little rougher than euros but keep the door closed tightly too. I installed the shorter doors and the result has been accepted by my bosses at home.

The major difference between the hinges is the price. I paid $1.74 CDN (each) as opposed to $10.99. The price on the web is strangely higher by $0.50.
                Last edited by darius; 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Read and understand about the GOLDER RULE,from the greeks. use it often What is pleasing to the EYE Use the constant figure and it's multible. the figure is

5X8 feet inches meters or whatever. have only on fixed measure? multiply or devide by
                  1.6 go ahead and play with this. Toolaholic
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Read and understand about the GOLDER RULE,from the greeks. use it often What is pleasing to the EYE Use the constant figure and it's multible. the figure is

5X8 feet inches meters or whatever. have only on fixed measure? multiply or devide by
                    1.6 go ahead and play with this. Toolaholic
                    It's actually called golden ratio and the number is 1.6180339887 or expressed as an equadion f=(1+sqrt(5)/2, and yes, I am aware of it.

The whole structure I built does indeed follow the ratio pretty close (1.59). Individual sub-elements are certainly on either side of 1.6 but golden ratio is one thing, practicality and available space is another.

So often in life, we can't have what we like, so we have to like what we have

Comment

Thank you all for hints, tips and suggestions. I still have some finishing to do, but I'd say 97.327% of the work is done.

I had to use magnets as the top of one door was off by 1/4".
                      I also spent gobs of time adjusting the cheap hinges I bought. The idea was good and they were alright for the shorter door, but the tall ones... I'll change the hinges for the Euros in a few weeks or so. I want to give the doors a chance to wobble and warp a little first.

Anyway, there are two "before" and one "after" pictures. There were 1 and 1/2 closets. Now there is one. Still, it appears little to no storage space was lost. In addition, a drawer chest my daughter used is now redundant, and so the room feels bigger.

Funny geometry on the photographs is caused by the camera's optics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Very nicely done, the doors look great!
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Hey Darius,
                            All your planning and hard work came together and you now have a completed project of which you can be proud.

Congratulations!

-Tom

Comment

It looks great Darius. Good work!!
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X