Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Raised Panel Door - how tall is too tall?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Panel Door - how tall is too tall?

I am looking at making two 7 feet tall raised panel doors for a built in closet.
    Each door would have the following specs:

- height 7 feet
    - width 18 inches
    - rail and stile 3" wide (that leaves roughly 10" for the raised panel
    - for panels for each door (i.e. 5 stiles for each door)
    - pine

Is 7 feet too much?
    Are here any considerations, tips and tricks I should consider for this project, or simply change the design?

Thanks,

D.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Re: Raised Panel Door - how tall is too tall?

I would think it is probably a matter of personal taste, because I'm sure you can find pictures of a custom kitchen with raised panel doors on the pantry, and those will be something close to 7'.

Aesthtically, I wonder if four panels might be a bit much though.

Comment

Thanks, for the input.

Aesthtics is something intangible, although I think my approach makes sense if you look at the attached photo. The stiles of the doors for the left side would coincide with the middle of the entire closet's height. The remaining spaces would be half of each of the part on the right side. That means that the doors right above the drawers would have two panels.

Another reason for the number of panels I want to make is the strength of the structure. This is a teenager's bedroom so I can expect some abuse and slamming of doors. I am not sure two stiles would make a strong structure. Actually, I'm not sure 4 panels will do. Hence my post.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by darius; 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Darius,

Instead of adding more stiles, you may want to increase the thickness of the rails/stiles a bit (1" instead of 3/4" maybe). That should help improve the strength.

I also wonder if adding a skin in the back would improve the structure (of course the trick is how to add the skin without making it want to pull apart when the wood moves).

Comment

Kinda late for 1" stock, as the drawer faces are already 3/4" and I think I wouldn't like to redo them, but I like the skin idea.

I could plane off 1/8" off the stiles and do some rabbeting work on the rails so that I the door skin is sunk within the frame. I think that might work.

As for the expansion, I think it won't happen, but things may want to shrink. Where I live (hot and humid summers, especially humid this year) I suppose the wood will only shrink.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I am a bit confused. Five stiles? I thought stiles were vertical and rails were horizontal structures.

-Tom

Comment

Door on the left, 6 panels and 5 stiles. But an 18" wide door w/6 panels and 5 stiles, ya something is wrong there...

Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

he wants to use a 4 panel door 7' high 18" wide.
                The panels would be roughly 12 3/4" X 18" including tongues

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                  he wants to use a 4 panel door 7' high 18" wide.
                  The panels would be roughly 12 3/4" X 18" including tongues
                  Exactly, but I sure got everybody puzzled about with the terminology

Comment

You should be fine with your design. I built a seven foot high by four foot wide amoire last winter that had two, two foot wide doors. The amoire was part of a built-in that had a two foot by 36 inch cabinet on each side for storage in a mud room. Initially I questioned the door size and mid-rail placement. I only used one mid-rail on each door. I had a small problem with door warpage caused, I think, by wet jackets/coats being put into the amoire. The problem was easily corrected by installing small magnets at the top and bottom of each door and frame to hold the doors in place.

I can't tell from the pics, but I think you would like the door, when closed, to be even with the 3/4" drawer faces. How do you plan to do that. If you use 3/4" stock for the door stiles the door panels will, of course, have to be thinner. Being in direct proximity to the drawers I think the drawer faces and doors would look better if they matched. I submit that you may wish to consider reworking the drawer faces so that they are the same configuration as the doors.

-Tom

Comment

I just looked at your picture again. I don't know what you plan to use for hinges but I think in this instance Euros would work best. With a standard hinge when the right hand door opens it will hit the edge of the drawer fronts. Euros move out when they open. They are just a bit pricier than a standard hinge. As I recall I put three pair of euro hinges on the amoire mentioned in the previous post. If you haven't installed euros before don't be intimidated by them. They install easily.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        You should be fine with your design. I built a seven foot high by four foot wide amoire last winter that had two, two foot wide doors. -Tom
                        Thanks Tom. This is what I was hoping to hear. Somehow logic told me this should be fine, but logic may be illogical at times

I never made raised panel doors before so I wasn't sure I was on the right track.

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        I can't tell from the pics, but I think you would like the door, when closed, to be even with the 3/4" drawer faces. How do you plan to do that. If you use 3/4" stock for the door stiles the door panels will, of course, have to be thinner. Being in direct proximity to the drawers I think the drawer faces and doors would look better if they matched. I submit that you may wish to consider reworking the drawer faces so that they are the same configuration as the doors.

-Tom
                        The drawers have roman ogee edge and so will the doors. That will be about the only common element between the doors and the drawers. I wanted to do some raised panel simulation on the drawer faces but my daughter prefers the drawers flat. Oh well. I just cut wood.

The panels will be routed with back cutter, so the panels' surface (depth) will match that of the drawers. The picture shows one of the doors that will go above on the right side of the closet (43" tall, 12" wide). This is work in progress. So far I have two of the shorter doors and 3/4 of one tall door.

As for the hinges, indeed, I plan to use the euro style ones. They are pretty expensive. I think I will use at least 3 per tall door and 2 per each shorter one. Should I use more?

The total of 10 hinges as much as, or perhaps even more than all of the other material and hardware I have used for this project so far.

Again, thanks for the answer. I feel more confident now. Except for my mediocre dust control setup. Those raised panel bits produce dust like there in no tomorrow, and from what I hear, it's nothing compared to a thickness planer. This is going to be my next major tool purchase - now that wifey can finally see some results of the money already spent.

Comment

oops, forgot to upload the photo
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                            oops, forgot to upload the photo
                            That looks really great. I didn't understand what you meant by five stiles, I thought the door was going to have 4 separate panels. This design does look well balanced.

What kind of setup did you use for raising the panels? Horizontal or vertical bit? I'm assuming in a table. Any kind of dust collection (you mentioned lots of it, so I'm curious what if anything you used to collect it).

Comment

Thanks cpw.

I threw everybody off by mu unfortunate use of woodworking terminology Still a lot to learn for me.

This was my first shot ever at raised panel doors. There are some minor glitches but I'm not really worried since I consider those a learning curve, and besides, the whole thing will be hidden under 3 or 4 coats of white oil paint.

I used horizontal 3 1/8" bit with back cutter on a Woolfcraft router table. I bought it for $60 on sale. Looks like a toy but does what I need for now. The router I used is Canadian Tire's Mastercraft Maximum. It appears to be a clone of a more expensive Bosch, with a weaker motor, but with excellent 5 year warranty. Mine is 2HP and has two bases ($120). I am beginning to see the need for a >= 3 HP router within the next few months.

The router table's fence has a dust port which allows 3 different sizes for attachment. My CV fits just fine and normally collects nearly 100% of dust, but not when I used the raised panel bit. I'd say only about 80% was caught by the vac. I think part of the problem was the large opening for the bit. With the 1 1/4" hose the vac is also nearly useless for my TS3650. I actually stopped using it for the TS until I rethink the whole setup.

I was also able to learn a valuable lesson today - clean the router thoroughly after each use, or else those adjustments will work so and so.

Comment

Working...
                              X