Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving cabinet hardwood top free floating .. is this ok?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving cabinet hardwood top free floating .. is this ok?

Hi,

I made an entertainment cabinet out of maple plywood. It is has 6 compartments, 3 on top, 3 on the bottom. I glued up a solid maple top for it, and so I want to know if it is ok if I leave the hardwood top floating instead of screwing it to the cabinet? I will be placing a 50" plasma on the hardwood top.

Regards,
    Gus

Re: Leaving cabinet hardwood top free floating .. is this ok?

I don't see any advantage to leaving it free floating. There's always the remote possibility that it could get bumped hard enough to cause it and your plasma to come crashing down to the floor. Is there a specific reason why you don't want to anchor it?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      I don't see any advantage to leaving it free floating. There's always the remote possibility that it could get bumped hard enough to cause it and your plasma to come crashing down to the floor. Is there a specific reason why you don't want to anchor it?
      The cabinet top is 3/4" thick, 63" long and 2" wide. It is pretty heavy enough that I don't see it being moved easily. I guess I am just concerned about the seasonal wood movement. I was going to fasten it in the front and then counterbore it in the rear and add some washers to the screws to allow for movement that way. So if I figured of I leave it free floating I would not have to worry about the expansion.
      Last edited by dieselgg; 08-16-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

2" wide? Two feet maybe.
        Joe Spear

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
          The cabinet top is 3/4" thick, 63" long and 2" wide. It is pretty heavy enough that I don't see it being moved easily. I guess I am just concerned about the seasonal wood movement. I was going to fasten it in the front and then counterbore it in the rear and add some washers to the screws to allow for movement that way. So if I figured of I leave it free floating I would not have to worry about the expansion.
          I would get a table top fastener like this:
          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=784

Or this:
          http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=786

Both will let your table top move seasonally, yet still be attached.

Comment

With uneven weight distribution, and the heat of electronics in some parts and not others, you run the risk of the top warping without securing it. Z fasteners, figure 8's or elongated holes all will work. If it is going to back flush against the wall, secure it in the back and let the front do the expanding.
            I think you may regret not going the extra effort to secure it now.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
            X