X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't buy the RIDGID table saw dust collector

I bought a TS3612 last Saturday and also purchased the dust collection option. This so called dust collection system is a joke. All it comes with is a plastic chute that attaches to the bottom of the saw. There is no cover for the back of the saw and when I say the chute attaches, I'm being kind. Actually it just fits up inside the bottom flanges of the saw casing and hangs there. I can and will make a better system out of plywood. My suggestion to Ridgid, use sheet metal, include some self tapping screws and design a cover for the back of the saw!

I use a (shop-built) dust collection attachment for my TS2424 similar to the Ridgid option, and it works well up to my expectations. I have it hooked to a "1100" cfm dust collector.

My expectation is that dust does not escape the cabinet of the saw. Some builds up around the corners, which doesn't bother me a bit.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Can you post pictures of your dust collection shroud?

Thanks,
      Subbu

Comment

I'd take it back. Get the 14" x 14" fitting from Grizzly, Rockler or any number of suppliers for around $12. It fits perfectly and the existing holes in the top of the leg set allow you to fix in place. Then cover rear of saw with luan, hardboard or cardboard as in the pic fixed in place by duct tape, velcro, magnets or any other means.

With a reasonable DC (I use the 2HP HF) you've just solved the dust/chip issue of any contractors table saw. I use a ZCI and that's where the dust still beats me. The stock insert is much better since it has a wide blade opening and the air is sucked down through it, preventing the dust and chips being thrown out.

David

Comment

I can get the ridgid dust collection to work for me. Of corse I have a TWC dust collection.
          Andy B.

Comment

If you have a DC (like a jet 1 1/2 horse) you only need to cover the bottom where you connect the hose and the very left hand side of the cabinet in the back. You don't need to go to teh extremes of what is in the picture (that would work well with a shop vac) A DC needs to move volumes of air to work properly and at maximum efficiency. Closing off everythingis not necessary since the dust will be sucked in anyway. -Even when I had my shop vac attached, very little escaped out the back during cuts.

Comment

Subbu, it ain't much to look at... A piece of hardboard the size of the bottom of the saw, with an accessory dust port attached.

But yeah, I think I can get a pic of it. In fact, maybe I have some sawdust built up in it (occasionally I clean it out) to show how much remains. I'll take a look tonight.

Dave

Comment

The rear cover in the picture is the standard type of assembly that has been published and recommended in many magazine and forum articles over the past couple of years. There's still plenty of opening for the air to enter, but insufficient to allow dust to blow out and onto the motor. Can't say that it's an extreme fabrication since it only took 30 minutes to make and stick on.

Since one of the benefits of the Cabinet Saw is it's superior dust collection ability over the Contractors Saw, how does that work since it is fully and totally enclosed?? Surely that's what you should aim for when sealing up your Contractors Saw??

David

Comment

A cabinet saw has a fairly large opening around the elevation handle wheel.

Comment

Working...
                  X