Scroll saw blade holders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll saw blade holders

Surely somebody besides me is still using a Ridgid Scroll Saw. I have not been able to locate any aftermarket blade clamps. Is anybody aware of any blade clamps that fit the Ridgid Scroll Saw? If you are aware of any holders that fit this saw I would appreciate knowing either the manufacturer or vendor. Thank You.

Re: Scroll saw blade holders

I guess I wasn't plain enough. The Blade Holders are what hold the blades. The holders (clamps) that come standard are capable of holding both pin end and plain end blades. The holders are Item # 57 part # 823811-1 for the upper holder and item # 54 part # 823810-1 for the lower holder as listed on Ridgid 1650 scroll saw parts list. Both items are discontinued and no longer available. Because of the various ways that manufacturers choose to mount the holders to the arms I have not located any that match Ridgids mounting. I am hoping someone else has found a blade holder that fits the Ridgid saw. My saw still holds the blades but the lower blade clamp is starting to lose it's grip which is causing me some problems. I would rather hear that no Ridgid scroll sawer ever had problems with his (or her) saw but if by chance they have and if by chance they had problems with the holder maybe they could steer me in the right direction.

Comment

Charlie2,

I posted yesterday evening and for whatever reason, the post doesn't appear today... perhaps I posted during a maintenance cycle.

In any case, I don't have the Ridgid model and have never seen one except for a ad showing various Ridgid tools that was in an old Woodmagazine from four or five years ago. But, I do recall that, though it was a 16-inch, it looked very much like the Ryobi SC180VS 18-inch scroll saw that I had recently purchased at the time. The shape of the arm and supporting body, table, motor and control assembly all appeared to be very similar. So, I imagine the Ridgid was at the time being manufactured by TTI, Ryobi's parent company. (It is my understanding that during that period, Ridgid was subcontracting many of its benchtop and stationary woodworking tools to TTI for manufacture.)

The Ryobi SC180VS was closed out in early 2004, from Home Depot. Today it is still being manufactured by Ryobi/TTI for Sears and it now wears the black and red Craftsman color scheme and badge. There may be a good chance that the blade clamps are the same or are a good replacement of the old Ridgid blade clamps. Here is a link to the Craftsman scroll saw: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...&sbv=Craftsman

This unit is stocked at my local store, so you may be able to examine one locally and judge for yourself, if the blade clamps are the same or possibly a replacement.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I took a look at the site you referenced and the holders on those saws are very different. I had looked at Ryobi in the past but will look again. I do want to thank you for your response.

Comment

CWSmith, after reading your post I looked a little further at older Sears Scroll Saws and by golly I think you have pointed me in the right direction. I hadn't looked at Sears because quite frankly I got burned by them too many times over the years and completely quit buying anything from them. After your post I started looking and found a picture of an older Craftsman Scroll Saw holder on Scrollsawer.com that looks very much like the Ridgid holder. I thank you again for your response and just wanted to let you know that I believe you may have supplied me with a good solid lead. This is the first Forum I've ever logged on and first time I have ever tried locating something by using this medium. This has definitely been an eye opening experience. In just 24 hours I am now thinking my old Ridgid Saw may have a much brighter future than I thought. Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Charlie. CWSmith is a great guy. He usually does have some very good ideas. Glad he was able to steer you in the right direction.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Charlie2,

That's great, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

Stick around, as I'm sure you will enjoy the forum. There's a tremendous amount of experience here and a really great number of friendly and very knowledgeable members. I'm sure you will feel welcome and I look forward to your future posts.

Welcome,

CWS

Comment

Before ordering this, I would call up the dealer and ask them if they have a list of which scroll saws this kit will work with, but it just may be what you need.

http://www.scrollit.com/olson_scroll..._holder_co.htm
                Frank Mosteller - 52 Harvard Rd. - Portsmouth, Va. 23701 - (757) 237-6867

Olson: The Olson Saw Company - 16 Stony Hill Road - Bethel, CT 06801 USA
                Phone: (203) 792-8622 - FAX: (203) 796-7861

Comment

Working...
                X