Adjustable comb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable comb

Has anyone on here ever put an adjustable comb on a shotgun? What kind of tool should I use to cut it out? I was thinking a bandsaw with a fine tooth blade then just sand everything down real good and finish it the hardware is simple enough just drill it out with a drill press is there anything you guys think I am missing, here is an example for those who dont know what I am talking about

Re: Adjustable comb

to hold it solid one may want to make some type of cradle to hold the stock so it does not rock, or some type of sled and clamp the stock to the sled,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was thinking that mostly with the bandsaw, the drill press is pretty easy to clamp. That is probalby the toughest part! I dont mind spending the money to have a pro do it but I DONT want to send it out and have to wait 2 weeks! I have an extra stock I can try this on so there is a minimal loss if it doesnt come out to my high standards

Comment

I under stand the band saw but the stock of the gun is curved, and your cutting on the edge of the oval shape, by cutting out a cradle that is shaped like the stock you will not rock when cutting it breaking the blade and possibly damaged you and your band saw in the process, you will probly end up cutting the jig up in the process of cutting the stock, but it then can be held solid when cutting.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was thinking use a piece of MDF on the bottom, wrap the comb in saran wrap, then pour plaster to shape the bottom, the jig will only be on the bottom half ot the stock not where I am cutting that should give me something that will fit the stock tight, then clamp it down and cut away! I was thinking 1/4 blade in the BS to make the curve. It is just an idea. Ill experiment until i can come up with something that holds the stock tight! Thanks for your input BHD

Comment

Working...
          X