sticker shock YIKES!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticker shock YIKES!!!!!

I am in the planning stages to build a rocking motorcycle for my grandson.
    I have the plans and today I visited home Depot and Lowe's.

YIKES! a nice pine board 1x12x8' is $25.00 [usd]

The last rocker I built was around 1999 the entire cost of lumber was about $50.00

Today it will run over $150.00 [including sales tax]
    3 ea. 2x12x8' [$8.00ea]
    4 ea 1x12x8' [$25.00ea]
    1 ea 1x8x8' [$16.00 ea]

note: prices are rounded up, for example $25.00 is actually $24.95

Both stores were within pennies of each other, although the lumber at Home Depot
    was straighter and there was a larger selection to pick from.

I wonder what lumber prices are in other areas? I'm in the Phoenix AZ metro area.

I may visit a "real" lumber yard to see if they offer better prices and/or quality.

I'm just overwhelmed at how prices for a piece of pine board has exponentially gone up in price!

Cactus Man

Re: sticker shock YIKES!!!!!

That seems to be close to the prices I've seen around here at the big box stores (Boston area). I built my son a rocking horse for Christmas last year, and had the same reaction when I saw what it would cost for the 1x12s I needed for the runners.

Unfortunately, my lack of experience with woodworking and my "frugality" got the best of me and I thought I could get away with a few 1x8s. At the time my logic seemed great: my son was less than 2 at the time and I didn't want too much arc on the runners anyway...

Now we have a horse that is better suited for his grandma, given the action he can get out of the way-too-flat runners. For what it's worth, I really wish I had ponied up the cash (no pun intended) for the 1x12s. Live and learn, right? One of these days, I may have take that thing down to shop and correct the situation.

You can see what I'm talking about here:
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=55

Comment

I think you did great!! I personally like the unfinished version more!

Comment

If you can do without the clear pine and get a grade below, IIRC the price should be 1/3 or less of the clear pine. There are some not so nice boards, but at least at HD if you are willing to pick through them you can usually find something that is nice; and depending on the cuts you need you might be able to get enough clear out of it for less price with some scrap that would be good for jigs/random experimentation etc.

Comment

That rocking horse looks great to me. I'm sure your kids will have a lot of fun with it. One of the beatiful things about building your own stuff is you can go back and fix it more easily; or know how to make version #2 better.

Comment

You might do better checking with your local lumber companies, than with Home Depot or Lowes. Up here in the Corning, NY area my local HD is certainly the most convenient because it's only a mile away. But, I have got to tell you that their lumber is simply terrible!

I've often remarked about the number of knots that they have in #2 common pine, it's almost like they take only very young trees. This past week I've been finishing the trim in my kitchen, putting down new baseboard and quarter-round. The quarter round that HD had was all a good 1/8-inch less than the "3/4" and in some case was only 9/16th. The 6-inch #2 common was split, gouged, and seriously cupped. So much so that I couldn't find four boards in the entire lot that were flat enough to use.

So I went to our old reliable "Corning Building Company" which is about about eight miles away. In the last few years, the only reason I've gone to them was for specialty lumber; my thinking being that Home Depot had discounted prices on common stuff, because they were a "big box" store... I was WRONG!.

Corning Building Company's "quarter-round" was exactly 11/16" which is right on spec and there was no notable variation. It was also about a third the price and there were no blemishes at all. (This was "clear pine", I could have bought "finger-jointed and primed" for even less, but they were temporarily out of stock.) Likewise the #2 common pine was absolutely terrific. I bought five 1 x 6 x 8 boards and the average knots per board was five. No cracks, no gouges, no knock-outs, and every board was absolutely flat and true. Price... about fifteen cents less per board than the garbage at Home Depot!

Their "framing" lumber was also damn nice. They just brought in a truck load of 2 x 4 studs and I swear you had to search for knots. What caught my eye was that it was all marked "Czech Republic". (Amazing how far we have to go for lumber these days.)

Bottom line is, I'll never buy lumber from this particular Home Depot store again. Obviously my thoughts of "convenience" overshadowed my sense of quality and price. I have noticed that the lumber at the Binghamton Home Depot is considerably better though. Not on the par of the "Building Company's, but substantially better than what the Corning Area Home Depot is. I guess I don't understand how these HD stores get their stock, as I would think their sources would be the same.

CWS

Comment

CWS

It's the same way down here in MD. Some of the HD and Lowes lumber is not too bad and at other locations it's worse that what I call fire wood scraps. Anymore the serious are NOT buying from big box dumps and are going back to the real lumber yards. The real joke is the ACE Home Center where ALL their lumber and I mean ALL of it is left outside in the rain. Oh what a mess!!! All warped and split up. Being soaking wet it's worthless for the fire too. All it's good for is when a tree company wants to have fun running it through their chipper. Chips fly and water sprays all over.

Comment

Definitely check with your local lumber yard. As an example, my local Lowes sells S4S poplar by the foot. When I figured out the board foot price, it was over $8 . At my favorite lumberyard(30 miles away), #1 common poplar is $1.10 a board foot. You pay a premium for convenience and machining. Luckily, I have a nice jointer and planer, but if you dont have these machines, then you're kinda stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  I am in the planning stages to build a rocking motorcycle for my grandson.
                  I have the plans and today I visited home Depot and Lowe's.

YIKES! a nice pine board 1x12x8' is $25.00 [usd]

The last rocker I built was around 1999 the entire cost of lumber was about $50.00

Today it will run over $150.00 [including sales tax]
                  3 ea. 2x12x8' [$8.00ea]
                  4 ea 1x12x8' [$25.00ea]
                  1 ea 1x8x8' [$16.00 ea]

note: prices are rounded up, for example $25.00 is actually $24.95

Both stores were within pennies of each other, although the lumber at Home Depot
                  was straighter and there was a larger selection to pick from.

I wonder what lumber prices are in other areas? I'm in the Phoenix AZ metro area.

I may visit a "real" lumber yard to see if they offer better prices and/or quality.

I'm just overwhelmed at how prices for a piece of pine board has exponentially gone up in price!

Cactus Man
                  Let's see, you've got 3 pcs of 2x12x8', each board is 16BF $8/16 = $0.50/BF, not exactly expensive, is this a piece of framing lumber?

1x12x8' = 8BF $25/8 = $3.13/BF
                  1x8x8' = 5.33BF $16/5.33 = $3.01/BF

Try this place:
                  http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp

You can get a 100BF UPS pack of white oak for less than $150 delivered to you doorstep.

White Oak (Quarter Sawn) $127.00 (4/4) $129.00 (5/4)
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Let's see, you've got 3 pcs of 2x12x8', each board is 16BF $8/16 = $0.50/BF, not exactly expensive, is this a piece of framing lumber?

1x12x8' = 8BF $25/8 = $3.13/BF
                    1x8x8' = 5.33BF $16/5.33 = $3.01/BF

Try this place:
                    http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp

You can get a 100BF UPS pack of white oak for less than $150 delivered to you doorstep.

White Oak (Quarter Sawn) $127.00 (4/4) $129.00 (5/4)
                    Those prices are for 20BF.. ~6.35 delivered.

Comment

Working...
                    X