X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Unisaw to be built in USA

Popular Woodworking has an article on their site saying that Delta will built their new Unisaw in Tennessee.

http://popularwoodworking.com/articledisplay?id=17748

With the IWF kicking off this week I guess we will hear about all the new toys in the Woodworking arena.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: New Unisaw to be built in USA

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Popular Woodworking has an article on their site saying that Delta will built their new Unisaw in Tennessee.

http://popularwoodworking.com/articledisplay?id=17748

With the IWF kicking off this week I guess we will hear about all the new toys in the Woodworking arena.
    In addition to the country of origin new UNI will:
    (1) include a riving knife
    (2) have both bevel and height wheels in front
    (3) have better dust collection in the cabinet (two ports, one specifically for the blade)

I'm glad that it will be American produced, not because I beleive that an American made saw is better quality than a Taiwanese one, but that it shows American can still compete with foreign manufacturers.

If I do ever get another saw, it is like to be a SawStop though (or even more realistically, a cabinet saw with brake technology after the SawStop patent expires).

Comment

"(1) include a riving knife"

You'll be seeing Euro-style safety features on all the new table saws soon.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        "(1) include a riving knife"

You'll be seeing Euro-style safety features on all the new table saws soon.
        As long as they don't take away our Dado's I'm perfectly fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          As long as they don't take away our Dado's I'm perfectly fine with that.
          Exactamundo, cpw! I don't see why dado blades are so terrible on a table saw? I don't have any other way of doing dados except for the router, and I don't want to make a bunch of new jigs.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            Exactamundo, cpw! I don't see why dado blades are so terrible on a table saw? I don't have any other way of doing dados except for the router, and I don't want to make a bunch of new jigs.
            The euros think your blade should stop within 10 seconds, and a dado has too much inertia. A router is really a substandard dado solution compared to the TS. A handheld router is no where near as accurate as the TS, even with jigs you aren't going to get the repeatability of your fence. You could get the accuracy with a RT and a fence, but it would still be quite a bit slower because you would probably need multiple passes at different heights.

Not to mention the expense, one dado set is going to get you all the widths you need. For the RT, you'll need a variety of bits (straight cutting and rabetting). Also, I've read plenty of posts where people have used the same dado set for many yeras w/o needed to get it sharpened. I've personally burned out a router bit (a roundover) already; and they are not cheap.

Comment

That is good news! American made, hell ya.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

In the video they say its 90% Made in USA and say that is because some piece parts and raw materials come from outside the USA.

You'll find a ~10 minute video with the Delta Product Manager talking about the features of the new Unisaw here:

http://popularwoodworking.com/unisaw

Up front hand wheels for both blade height and tilt
                Up front adjustment of riving knife height
                Arbor nut with captured washer + a second nut (included) for use with dado sets
                Made in USA motor !!
                Trunnion is a single piece casting (cast in USA)
                Improved dust collection
                Tool-less guard removal/install
                Storage drawer for accessories, blade guard, saw blades etc.
                and more..!!

Availability is early 2009
                Price: not set yet
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Delta has added some info to their site about the new Unisaw.
                  Still can't even pre-order until February 1st.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

I hope to see the real thing either at a local woodworking show or maybe at a dealer sometime. It's far more machine than I need but a good investment in quality machinery is worthwhile. I still love to see a few old timer Unisaw that have to be 50+ still working and working well. Their owner's did take good care of them but they are sure no toy. They were made to do loads of serious work and that they sure did and well. Needless to say time brought refinements but not too many things changed.

Call me an OLD FART but I have no problems with a two rail rip fence in good condition. Set it, check it twice and lock it down. It stays put. And, if I'm too lazy to check a rip fence properly then I have no business ripping anything on a table saw.

Here is a link to a YouTube video I found on the NEW Unisaw. I hope they are helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HM-k0MSc

Comment

Popular Woodworking put this article up on their website recently about the new Unisaw and Delta's "Made in USA" claim.

Unisaw: Made in the U.S.A.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Well it's been a while but I recently got my first eyeball on the new Unisaw and man is that thing sweet.

You can't really compare a contractor style saw to the Unisaw or any cabinet saw, the list of features is different for each group. Some things that are pluses for a contractor style saw have no value as a fixed position shop saw and vice-versa. And there is a huge difference in price, part of that no doubt (for the new Unisaw anyway) owing to the fact that much of the tool is made here and final assembly is done here in the USA.

But the fit and finish of the tool is exceptional. Like the PM2000 it is part tool/part work of art. The only thing that would be nice to see would have been an included caster system like the PM200 has, just pull on the blade height wheel to engage the caster system, and crank the wheel to raise or lower the casters. No extra tools or fuss, super simple.

The cabinet feels like a '57 Chevy fender, strong and heavy gauge sheet metal that you couldn't dent with a baseball bat. I couldn't find a flaw in the paint either

The table top and wings matched up perfectly on the floor model, almost looked like one huge piece of CI, and not a pit mark or swirl in sight, very nice hunk of iron.

A choice of 3 or 5HP 230V motor on the Unisaw leaves every contractor saw in the dust. But this is to be expected as a contractor saw is designed to be some what portable and easier to move so weight reduction and motor HP are a trade off. Also, 230V power is not always available where you would like to set up a contractor style saw so 120V and 20A breakers become the limiting factor in motor HP.

The Biesemeyer fence is a thing of beauty. It's even better then the ones from the recent past. The lock engages without any fuss and only requires slight pressure to fully lock, but to disengage it the action is purposeful and intended, it is not likely to be bumped off the lock position, and the magnetic catch that holds the handle open worked just fine.

An up front riving knife release that requires no tools, similar to what I had suggested years ago could be added to the TS-3650, makes it so easy to install and remove the riving knife and blade guard.

And speaking of the blade guard, Delta did their homework and listened to users when they designed their version of a tool less blade guard that the new standard requires every new table saw to have. Just flip the lever on top of the guard and grab the guard and lift it up and back and it is off the saw using only one hand in about 5 seconds. Replacing it is just as easy. I tried it time and again and I think the salesman at Woodcraft must have thought I was nuts but I was amazed at how smooth and easy it functioned. It's like why did manufacturers avoid implementing these improvements for all these years, I can't understand that part of it all.

The dust collection looks like a nice design and the shape of the internal channeling of dust should eliminate any chip or dust build-up inside. A front access door makes inspection easy and again tool less.

The included storage drawer gives space for a half dozen blades to be safely stored such that they will not bang up against one another, plus room for the extra arbor nut, arbor nut wrench, user manual, and more. The drawer sides and back are made from MDF, and the front from popular, I would have liked to have seen all popular, it can't cost that much more. Full extension roller bearing slides make for easy access to everything stowed in the drawer.

I was thinking I would only be able to fit the 36-L336 in my shop but some measuring and re-positioning of a couple tools tells me to go for the 36-L352 which is the 3HP version with the 52" fence.

I'll have to bring 230V power to the center of the shop. I am thinking of channeling the floor and laying a conduit in to a floor box with both 230v and 120V circuits in it. Right now I power my TS from a pendant from overhead, but I would like to do away with that I think.

That is if I get a new Unisaw. But I am thinking that I have myself 3/4 convinced that I need one already.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Hmmmmmm...........only 125 days till Christmas. Have you been good, I mean really good? I say go for it!
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

About time somebody came up with the extra space in front of the blade.

Comment

I used to work on a early 40's Unisaw (Delta/Milwaukee) at one of the shops I worked at. It had a gigantic 5hp motor (old motors were very large to start with), and an large iron extension table. It was a nice saw, but the Powermatic 66's (also old, but newer than the Unisaw) were the ones used in day-to-day work. They were absolutely vibration free.

It's good to see that Delta is getting with the program again, and the American made part is definitely a step in the right direction. The quality of their machinery in the 80's and 90's (coinciding with their purchase by Pentair) was horrible, but the slide really started in the 70's with the formation of Rockwell International---and the cost cutting that followed.

Its worth taking a fresh look. I've been designing yachts for the last four years and have been somewhat out of the loop on woodworking machinery advances. Nice to see delta back in the swing of things as I had completely written them off as a viable alternative. It is also nice to see that the iron and motor are made in my home state of Wisconsin, where the Unisaw originated.

Mark
                              Open Design Project

Comment

Working...
                              X