Scrap wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap wood

How much scrap wood do you keep? I can't seem to throw ANY out as I'm sure I'll need it to set up a dado or router bit, its become a problem in my shop. I need an intervention guys! How much is too much?

Richard

Re: Scrap wood

Originally posted by capehorn3 View Post
    How much scrap wood do you keep? I can't seem to throw ANY out as I'm sure I'll need it to set up a dado or router bit, its become a problem in my shop. I need an intervention guys! How much is too much?

Richard
    I throw out odd shaped plywood and MDF. I have a bucket (overflowing) with odd shaped real wood scraps that will be burnt come the fall/winter. I keep all of my square/rectangle off cuts.

Comment

I keep all my scrap. It's a problem. I need professional help.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I used to keep everything as well but since moving to the country, scraps find the fire pit

Comment

If it ain't sawdust, then I'll keep it.....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Scrap wood? That's the stuff in the shop vac, right? I throw it in the woods.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
              Scrap wood? That's the stuff in the shop vac, right? I throw it in the woods.

Go
              I think they make those pellets for wood stoves from saw dust, you might be throwing away something of value?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I think they make those pellets for wood stoves from saw dust, you might be throwing away something of value?
                I like sheet goods, so I wouldn't want to burn my sawdust (b/c of the glue mixed in).

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  I like sheet goods, so I wouldn't want to burn my sawdust (b/c of the glue mixed in).
                  I tried to research the composition of wood pellets used in pellet stoves and discovered some interesting facts along the way. There are premium brands made from hardwoods, no adhesives are used in the process, and some brands are made from scrap wood and sawdust. There are processes which remove contiminates such as glass and rocks from the wood, but there was no mention of adhesives in the scrap woods? I gather the sawdust used is only from milled lumber and not processed woods such as plywood.

Comment

Throw away scraps? I thought that's what the pool table was for. Stacking every bit of scrap on top. I only throw some out when the stack is in danger of overflowing and colapsing

Comment

Good, I see I'm not alone. I do have a 5 gal bucket for 1-2" cut offs and small curved cut pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                        I keep all my scrap. It's a problem. I need professional help.
                        Sounds like a Dr Phil show to me

Comment

Originally posted by capehorn3 View Post
                          Good, I see I'm not alone. I do have a 5 gal bucket for 1-2" cut offs and small curved cut pieces.
                          I confess that I finally broke down and hauled three 32 gal garbage cans full of pine/cheap plywood scrap to the dump. Still holding on to all the hardwood, tho!!

Go
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I throw the very small scraps out right away. The kids like to burn those in the fire pit. The larger stuff I keep (and keep tripping over). I'm waiting for an idea of what to build with those smaller pieces. Sometimes after repeatly tripping over them I throw them out for the kids to burn. Needless to say, but I still have quite a large pile of scraps some small some larger. Actually i'm thinking of building onto my garage so I can store all of the smaller pieces that I will need later on.

I have some neighbors who use my sawdust for compost or bedding for their gerbils etc.

Hope this helps. Haha!

Bob R

Comment

No such thing as scrap hardwood or exotics. All I use is hardwoods and exotics! I keep em all. Never know when ya need a small inlay or accent piece. I built a cabinet just to hold my small pieces of cutoffs.
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X