X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you building now?

I'm just starting out a build of a high chair. I've got three red oak boards that will form the high chair, but right now I am mostly messing around with 2x4s from HD to get some of the techniques right. Last weekend I managed to laminate 6 2"x20"1/16" strips together into a relatively pleasing curve. If I get time this weekend, I want to get my form sanded a little bit better so that the curve is more symmetrical, and also have the curve overbent a bit to account for some of the spring back. Also, I didn't use any cork for the first try, and that resulted in a few places where there were gaps. Hopefully, there will be one or two more construction lumber try before I am confident enough to go at it with the real thing.

How about you? Whats your work in progress?

Re: What are you building now?

Oh man.. the list.... Always in the middle of multiple simultaneous projects...

I'm about 60% done with making, from scratch, all new door trim, window casings and aprons, stops, and four sets of jambs for our first floor living room, dining room, and entry way. I'm re-creating the existing Craftsman / Eduardian style (yeah, weird) that is a three piece buildup. Grand total of 55 pieces to install (actually.. that's 3 x 46 molding pieces... and 9 jamb sections) It's all made, from oak, and stained a dark walnut, but the grain is still visible and looks good. 3 coats of poly on each piece and then it goes up. I've got about 75% still left to poly, but otherwise it's all made & stained.
    I wish I could've found QS oak for all of it, but the quantity made it cost prohibitive. As it is, I'm reserving the best grain for the most-visible sections of the living room.

Also underway is making Craftsman style crown molding for the dining and living rooms. It's about 90 LF and will be a three piece buildup, but the cap and base pieces are identical, and the third piece is just a 1/2" square to cover any gaps. This I'm still in the process of making, so the router table has been very busy, and my basement is getting VERY crowded. That'll get the same treatment: dark stain, 3 coats of poly..

Finally, I'm in the final planning / drawings stage of an outdoor garden shed, which I'm hoping to build in the next couple of weeks, unless my wife vetoes it ...

I recently finished all the hardboard templates from the Lee Valley collapsible Adirondack chair plan... but haven't had time to make any chairs yet... and the season is passing by fast. :-( The plan is to make 6-8 before spring of next year.
    Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I'm in the design stage of a new entertainment center, right now Ive got lots of pictures I'm sorting, picking through for a design. All I'm sure of is it will be oak, may use some oak ply panels due temperature swings. Kind of like the one pictured in newest Fine Woodworking.

Richard

Comment

Thankfully I'm in between projects right now. Next on the list is building a new garage workbench (after garage gets finished). Then a set of nightstands and shelves (both floating?), tv stand & audio rack & speaker stands (plans drawn up), bar (working on plans), and a doghouse (he needs a place of his own!).

Comment

Trying to turn this black walnut into a trestle table:

I am here right now:

as you can see I have a long way to go.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

jump saw

Comment

Currently making some end-grain cutting boards (getting an early start on xmas presents) and frame for a bed. Also want to squeeze in a router table for the table saw.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                I'm just starting out a build of a high chair. I've got three red oak boards that will form the high chair, but right now I am mostly messing around with 2x4s from HD to get some of the techniques right. Last weekend I managed to laminate 6 2"x20"1/16" strips together into a relatively pleasing curve. If I get time this weekend, I want to get my form sanded a little bit better so that the curve is more symmetrical, and also have the curve overbent a bit to account for some of the spring back. Also, I didn't use any cork for the first try, and that resulted in a few places where there were gaps. Hopefully, there will be one or two more construction lumber try before I am confident enough to go at it with the real thing.

How about you? Whats your work in progress?

At the moment I'm building a ceiling to floor bookcase for my study. This is the largest project I'm undertaking as I'm fairly new to woodworking (being doing it less than a year. The bookcase will be around 3 meters in height and about 5 meters in width. I know I'm going to stuff it up but hey... what would the world be without any challenges???
                "I love vintage projects and have created a space to share them!"
                Free Woodworking Projects

Comment

Well lets see right now I'm finishing up a cookbook holder for my daughter. Than I have to get started on a hockey puck display, a towel holder and shelve for the bathroom both of witch have to be done before thanksgiving. Just got informed that I need a second cookbook holder for the mother in laws xmass present. Than on top of all that waiting to hear back from a customer about a couple of shelves.

Jim
                  http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

my current big project is to build a wind turbine, and to set up the tower,
                    been working on the towers foundation the last few weeks, and of course I have small projects going on all the time,

The few I just finished up with, was ,

a bale trailer,
                    welded up a form for the turbine tower base and made tower anchors,
                    make parts of a transmission case, for a fork lift, (had to mill out some new parts that were cast and broke when a U joint broke),
                    and finished up the back hoe I built last winter,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

At the moment I'm doing a couple of home improvement projects. Here in Painted Post I've recently finished the kitchen trim after we had a new laminate floor put in. I'm now trimming the passage way from the kitchen to the den (which used to be an attached garage). That requires new stairs to the basement, leveling out the landing and re-plastering the walls and reframing the doorway.

At the house in Binghamton (future home) I'm now building bookcases and window seats in my wife's "cookbook room". The measurements and assembly dimensions are riduculous considering that nothing is square or level; so almost every board requires it's own measurement to ensure that everything comes out level and true. Built in 1887, this big old house has its charm, but building anything is a nightmare. Hopefully I'll get it finished this month.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X