What Tenoning jig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tenoning jig?

I would like to know if anyone knows of the most accurate tenoning jig for the TS3650 table saw?
    I have purchased one from Rockler (General) green in color I payed around $80.00 for it....it does not sit in the rails snugly enough even after adjusting slides (it wobbles)
    Is there a better fitting jig? Thank you!

Re: What Tenoning jig?

I bought the one from Woodcraft a number of years ago for my 3650. It fit snugly within the rails but I had problems with indexing - making the distances register accurately with the scale on the jig. I finally made one from MDF and some scrap that works far better than the purchased one. No plans, just saw where I wanted the blade to cut and made the jig.

-Tom

Comment

I made my own. However, can you take a center punch and peen some points close to the edge of the Rockler slide bar to widen it? If so, that should tighten the wobble out of it and allow you to set the jig true. If after peening it is too tight, just gradually clean off the edge with some wet/dry abrasive paper until it fits perfect. If it is a big wobble, lay a strip of HVAC aluminum tape on the side to help tighten the gap (Plastic packing tape also works but does not last as long. I used this on my my stock miter gauge until I bought an Osborne EB3). Wax it as the aluminum may try to gall against the cast iron.

Just a thought

Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 08-23-2008, 07:37 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I got the Woodcraft one a few years ago and used it twice or so. IMO there are quicker and better methods of milling tenons.
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Thank you for your replys! I will try the ideas.

Comment

Issue #101 of ShopNotes has one you can build.
            You can see it here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/101/
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

I tried the punch and peen method and it worked really well. Thank you! Marty

Comment

In regards to Bob D.'s post on the Tenon fixture picture, some of you may find this helpful.
                When you see a picture in an article that doesn't allow any manipulation or opening up for a better look, "right" click on it and a menu will pop up allowing you to save it to your desktop.
                You can then open it with M.S. picture manager or any other viewer and enlarge it to see the details.
                This works on web pages or any other sites.
                It's pretty useful. Enjoy

Comment

I built one similar to the one in the Shop Notes issue Bob D. mentioned. It is very easy to make and real accurate! I use it all the time!!
                  Michael

Comment

picked this up at lowes for $39 on clearance. according to instructions, it can, i believe, also be used for splined miters:

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...enoningjig.htm

with the warm weather approaching, i'm looking forward to some shop time and putting this baby through its paces.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                    X