Thickness planers and blades.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness planers and blades.

I have a question to those who have used thickness planers. I am looking to get one for myself within the next few weeks. For now I have dug through a mountain of reviews and such. One thing that strikes me is, sometimes significant, difference in the cost of replacement blades.

I looked at Delta, Ridgid, Craftsman and DeWalt.

Given that wood varies in its hardness (and so do the blades) I have no idea what sort of life I should expect from an average set of blades? I'm trying to decide whether paying around twice as much for one set of blades over the other (different planers) may be justified in the long run.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Re: Thickness planers and blades.

While the cost of replacement blades is important, the performance of the planer IMO trumps that. A planer with inexpensive replacement blades but that constantly also has a snipe problem will cost you more in the long run when wasted wood is factored into the formula. Concentrate on making the best choice quality wise that your budget will allow when choosing your planer and you'll be much happier with your choice down the road.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Don't let blade cost make your decision. Normally the higher cost blades are the type that can be resharpened. Ridgid blades are 2 sided for twice the life and real easy to install because they do not get resharpened. Blades that can be sharpened can be a pain to install and align after each sharpening. I have had my Ridgid planer for almost 8 years now and have never had a problem with it. Proper setup prevents snipe, and proper usage prevents blade wear and damage. I only use it for hardwoods,including exotics which can be like rock sometimes. Lumber cost savings more than pay for the blades and machine upkeep. LOL
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I can only echo the wisdom of Dave and Dan. The price of the blade is not the cost of the blade. When you average the price of a set of blades over their life expectancy the cost per board foot of the blades is minimal.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

stiil, even just out curiosity, how much wood will an average set of blades go through? 100BF? 1000BF?

I am looking at Delta 22-580, Ridgid R433 and DeWalt DW735. Blades for the DeWalt are pricey but it tops the lists in most reviews. Ridgid has good reviews but I am concerned about the single speed.

Any recommendations? Gotchas?
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I can't say how many bd ft I get out of blades. The first set lasted about 3 years until they got dull. I turned them over and ran them about a year and hit a small embbeded rock that nicked them. I am now using side one of the extra set that came with my planer. I have heard the single/dual speed debates for years now, all I can say is my single speed Ridgid leaves a usable finish on the wood.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Knife life varies depending on many things...the wood hardness, how clean the wood is (dirt dulls), how many passes you make, knots, etc. I find that I tend to nick the knives before they actually dull, which in turn leaves a small ridge on the board...sanding or a 2nd pass in a slightly different location relative to the knives removes the ridge. Once I get a too many nicks in the blades I tend to replace them. I'm an average weekend warrior who builds 5 or 6 projects a year. I'd guess I change "edges" once or twice a season, so a set lasts me about a season.

I've got the 22-580 and have been mostly pleased with it. It's dust collection is adequate but not steller. The end performance of any planer is greatly effected by the knife sharpness and planer adjustments. I could happily live with the Ridgid, DeWalt, or Makita planers as well. Find a deal you're comfortable with and buy the one you like best.
              Last edited by hewood; 08-28-2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                Thank you for the responses.

stiil, even just out curiosity, how much wood will an average set of blades go through? 100BF? 1000BF?
                Unfortunately there are just too many variables that come into play to give a precise answer. However, the general rule of thumb answer is,.......not as long as you would like them too.
                ================================================== ====
                All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

When my blades knick I usually swap them around within the planner. Generally that cures the knick line although sometimes there are small nubbins left that require attention.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X