Oscillating Spindle Sander will not oscillate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillating Spindle Sander will not oscillate

Help! I just bought a new RIDGID oscillating spindle sander, but when I install a sanding drum and turn it on, it spins only, it does not oscillate up and down. Is there something else I need to adjust?

Thanks,
    Chris Holder

Re: Oscillating Spindle Sander will not oscillate

Hi Chris!

Things to check in this condition are:

1) Insure fan is installed between belt assembly and bottom of mount. The fan has to be installed in all configurations of the tool. This is illustrated in figure 11 on page 14 of the manual.

2) Check to make sure nothing is interfering with the movement. Make sure there's no sawdust or foreign material in the recess where the spindle is. Remove the fan from the spindle and blow out any material with compressed air.

If it's neither of those 2, take the unit to an authorized service center. If you purchased the sander new and have had it for less than 30 days, take it back to Home Depot to get a replacement unit.

You can find a copy of the manual here. Click the book-looking button above the picture of the sander.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I'll be watching this thread as this will be my next tool purchase. Tiered of trying to use top of belt sander for inside curves!

Comment

Capehorn, I've had mine for a couple years now and it's been used on every project I've made since I bought it. I'm a hobbyist, and don't make furniture for a living, but I've had very good results with it. I've gone through quite a few belts with it (standard size, which is a huge help), and even had to replace some of the spindle tubes. The tubes are available at my local HD now. The belts I order from one of the online sources. I should probably get the tubes from an online place, but it's just easier to get the kit from Home Depot, since I know they're all the right size. I could get better grit assortments ordering the tubes ala carte, but I don't use the sander for final sanding.

I generally use it with my wet/dry vac attached, but sometimes I skip that since the vac is so noisy and if the project doesn't require that much work, I just don't see the need. The sander kicks up LOTS of dust, so it's probably best to just leave the vac near there and use it. It really does a pretty good job of keeping the dust from building up on the sander.

I like to use it to finalize the miter cuts on frame pieces. Since the table will tilt to 45deg., I can cut the miter with my CMS and sand the cut to exactly 45. My CMS is not very accurate at all, so this is a major benefit for me. It's also come in real handy for sanding those pesky inside curves. I will cut them on the band saw, then use the sander to finalize and smooth the curve.

Comment

Mine just died today.
          Major vibration had me looking inside, and it never would turn on after the last run. I guess I just wore it out. I used it a lot. Not sure what to buy next.
          Check out my Wood Art

WWW.Woodensail.com

Comment

If anyone is going to really work it, here are some you might look at. They aren't cheap but they are made for work.

Workhorse - http://grizzly.com/products/G1071

Not quite as heavy duty but sure no toy - http://grizzly.com/products/Oscillat...e-Sander/G9922

Nice JET http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...4&cookietest=1

Beast model by JET - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17155

DIY model if you're mad at the Ridgid - http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11468

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38160
            Last edited by Woussko; 11-14-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I'm considering the JET - JBOS-5, Benchtop Oscillating

and Delta Industrial Model SA350K Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander with a 1/4HP
              Check out my Wood Art

WWW.Woodensail.com

Comment

I bought the Delta about 10 years ago at a show, good price too!! I think i've used it 3 times since then! LOL But it does make a nice place to stack all my stain cans and spray guns! I do better sanding on my 6X48 stationary sander or clamping the piece to my table and grab my belt sander. The "up and down", in my opinion, may keep the drum cooler and spread the wear around some, but i've NEVER gotten a smooth curve from it. Maybe it's just me but I don't like them at all!!!
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Well, I find the oscillating sander to work well on curves like electric guitar bodies. Still have to hand sand out to final.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I will probably be buying another Ridgid. It's uniqueness makes it the only option for me as I can get so much use out of the combo sander. I just wish I could be assured of having better luck with this one.
                    Check out my Wood Art

WWW.Woodensail.com

Comment

Rick, with my limited experience so far with Ridgid tools, has been good thus far (R4330).

How long did your sander last?

Comment

I like what the sander does.
                        I thought about my ailing EB4424 sitting outside next to the dumpster the other night in my sleep, and decided that I should get er back working again, even though it still has the vibrating bearing issue.
                        When troubleshooting the bearings, the holding relay and switch gave up the ghost, and that was my excuse to junk the machine.

Well, in this horrible economy, I decided that there is nothing that can't be rejuvinated with a little time, so I started wringing out the wiring.

Long story short, I found that the start circuit holding relay was gone, and I rebuilt the electrical system with some alternate parts I had in my shop.

So here is how it looks now. (I have to switch on, and just bump the start circuit button, and she starts up just fine)

Nothing I can do about the vibrating bearing, but I may get a few more projects out of this cool sander.

Check out my Wood Art

WWW.Woodensail.com

Comment

I'm glad you were able to resurrect the machine. It sure is a handy thing! Is it possible to replace the bad bearing?

Comment

Well, I took it apart to the point where I could see the sealed bearing that is on the top(I had the drive unit out and case split), and it looks like it would be customer replaceable, but I think It might be hard to find one. The bottom end might be more difficult as I opened the grease pot on the bottom and found the complicated reciprocating system that would have to be dissassembled to get that lower bearing.
                            The worst thing about the vibration in this machine, is that when I sand delicate parts, sometimes the vibration can damage the work if not careful.
                            I have to say that despite the plastic construction, this sander is made pretty well. The case is much thicker than I thought as I found when drilling for the start button.

I think if/when this sander is finally retired, I will buy another one.
                            Check out my Wood Art

WWW.Woodensail.com

Comment

I had to take mine apart as mine would not oscillate either. It seems when I pulled the 2" spindle off to use the 1/2" spindle I pulled a part out of it place. I took it apart and saw what it was and put it back together and it is working fine now. I have a question , does Rigid make a portable oscillating spindle sander ? I have a Porter Cable one at work that I use all the time but I thought I would see if Rigid makes one. Thank Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X