X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Planer Problem

I have a Ridgid TP1300 that is about three years old and not heavily used. A few months ago I noticed that the height adjustment wheel would back up even when locked down. At first, it did not seem to effect the planing thickness. Now, however, as it backs up, the cutting height is also slightly increased, leaving the tail end of the board thicker than the end put first thru the planer. I can get a consistent cut by holding the handle to keep it from backing up, but that is a hassle while trying to manage the lumber feed. Are there any adjustments that I can make to tighten it down? Help.

Re: Ridgid Planer Problem

IS the cutter head lock working? Are the knives sharp? Are you trying to take more that 1/16" off per pass?

Comment

"IS the cutter head lock working? Are the knives sharp? Are you trying to take more that 1/16" off per pass?"

Thanks for the help. First, I have been trying to take between 1/64 and 1/32 off per pass at the max. The knives appear to be sharp since I am still getting a relatively smoot cut. On the cutter head, I am not sure how to tell if it is working. After dialing in the cut, I move the lever to the right to lock it. It doesn't seem to be locking, no matter how light the cut since it backs off with any cutting pressure. How else do you lock it besides moving the lever over.

Comment

I don't own the 1300 to look at the lock mechanism to see how to adjust it and it does not appear to be covered in the manual. Lots of guys on here own this machine so hopefully they will answer with a suggestion. If the lock is not working (sounds like the problem) you could take it in for service under the lifetime service agreement

Comment

I sent an e-mail to Ridgid technical support and haven't gotten a response yet. I may try to take the side apart to see if I can figure out why it is slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by dwwilson44 View Post
            I sent an e-mail to Ridgid technical support and haven't gotten a response yet. I may try to take the side apart to see if I can figure out why it is slipping.
            Be careful! If you open it up, you may void your LLSA.

Get authorization from Ridgid to take it in for service and they should cover it.

Comment

I don't have this planer, so I can't really say, but is it possible for a wood chip to have gotten lodged into the lock mechanism? That might cause the lock to seem to engage, but then slip off as pressure is applied from the rollers.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Common occurrence when the knives are dull....regardless of how the cut appears.

---Mike

Comment

I will clean it out (to make sure that no chips are stuck in the wrong place and replace the blades to see if that helps and report back.

Comment

I decided to do it all. I made sure that the rollers wee clean (they were), replaced the blades, and found the instructions to tighten the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism had been too loose since I bought the planer. It works much better now than it did coming from the factory. My only difficulty was using the cheap little 8mm wrench Ridgid included to loosen the nuts holding the blades in. It has to be thin to fit, but the ones with the planer have a very soft and short throat and on the end nuts they would not grab well enough to loosen them. I had to go search for a better open end wrench. Once I found one, it was fairly easy.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Thanks for posting, dwwilson44.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X