X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy w/3660

I had to replace a stolen table saw and went a look'n in the 500 price range. Found this forum and decided to check out the 3660; it's now up and running. Nice piece of equipment and I hope to have it around for many years.

The forum looks good so I'm sure to stick around.

Someone should go through the assembly tips thread and put up a concise summary. there's some good stuff in there but there's too much discussion to wade through (just a suggestion if someone wants to take it on)

Have fun
    Paul

Re: New guy w/3660

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Jack. I hope you get lots of years of good use out of your new 3660.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Welcome Paul and that's a great idea you have about the assembly thread. I'm sure that new owners would find it much more helpful if some of the non-assembly related posts in that thread were removed.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Welcome Jack!

Comment

Hope you like the new saw and welcome. Fellow new owner here too. I took pictures of each step when I built mine. I'll contribute them to the assembly thread!

Comment

all I can say is whoever decided to write the in manual that the brackets for the lifting base should be installed after the saw is uprighted should slapped...hard.

oh yea and I (being alone) waited to put on the extension tables and used pipe clamps to hold them in place while I put in the screws. (not much of a contribution but there it is).

Comment

Welcome Paul! Now go buy a good blade for that saw and enjoy!

Comment

Bought a 3660 yesterday and I must say I'm completely delighted with the saw! Found this Forum while searching for a zero clearance insert.

The new saw replaced a very marginal portable Craftsman, which I could easily grab across the table and lift the saw (stand and all) to move. Happily, those days are gone.

I too work alone. I mounted the table extensions using an old roll-a-round A/V cart. A couple of 3/4" stock and rolled the extensions right up to the main table. C-clamps front and back and they mounted up just beautifully.

One thing I'd like to see in the instructions are torque specs for the bolts. I've broken plenty of bolts cinching just that 1/8 turn. With a bolt and nut breaking one isn't much of a problem but mounting the extension tables with the threaded holes in the main table was a bit worrying. To rest my fears of bolts backing themselves out, I used Locktite on all the assembly bolts.

The ONLY problem I've run across was adjusting the height of the blade insert provided. The insert leveled out ok but when I cinched down the keyhole phillips screw the insert pivots on the front two leveling screws raising the back end of the insert off the rear leveling screws.

I'm sure there's some quick fix but was too beat after assembling the saw to think about it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                  M

Comment

Welcome, Alphawray. I had the same problem with the stock insert. You don't have to really tighten the screw down to keep the insert in place. Back off the screw till the insert sits flush and flat. If you really want, you can try another procedure. Screw all the levelers in all the way, install the insert and screw in the screw. Then use the levelers.

I found that it is much easier to just not screw the hold-down screw all the way in. It holds enough (actually, you don't have to have the screw in at all) to keep the insert in place without being tight.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

For those with bolt tightening torque questions, the following are some references you could use or print out:

http://www.thelenchannel.com/1torque.php

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technica...que-chart.html

http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/A_Fas...rqueCharts.pdf

http://www.morbark.com/service/belttorque.pdf

Many may find that they are over-torquing them. For those that don't know it, an inch-pound is 1/12th of a foot-pound, so 60 inch-pounds = 5 foot-pounds, etc. If you over-torque a bolt and break it off it is your fault. If it breaks or strips out below the standard torque values for that grade/size bolt, and the manual does not give specific torque, you have a valid reason for complaining to the manufacturer.

As for the insert screw, you may have noticed a blue dye on the end, It is a type of lock-tite, that will keep the screw from backing out, so it does not have to be tight. I have changed inserts/blades many times in the past 2 1/2 years on mine, and still do not have a problem with the stock screw backing out during use. If you are worried about it, get the low strength lock-tite from any auto-parts store and re-apply as often as you feel you need to.

Hope this helps.

Go
                      Last edited by Gofor; 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                      X