X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router table extension

I just wanted to post my almost completed router table extension for my TS3650. It's nothing fancy, but I am happy with how it turned out so far. I am planning to make a workstation in the near future (over winter) but I for now I made a temporary leg support to take the pressure off of the fence.

To mount the extension, I bolted a piece of steel angle to the table saw wing. Then I routed a few pockets to accept a 1/4" button head screw and allen wrench. I then used square nuts in the fence rails (on front and one rear) since the table occupies the spot of the factory spreader bar.

Then I added the leg with a support from the table saw brace to the leg to keep it from wanting to spread out.
    The leg is a temporary solution but it is pretty sturdy.

I appreciate any comments, good and bad. I am new to this woodworking thing so there is (obviously) much for me to learn.

Thanks for looking.

t

Re: router table extension

Pretty cool, it looks like that setup will serve you well for a long time.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Looks nice, is that the rockler plate and miter or t-track? What are you mounting in there?

Comment

Looks good Pneufab. Fancy doesn't matter in the shop (unless you're David Marks!). That extension looks like it'll work very well for a long time. Well done! Do you have any plans for a fence or modification to the Ridgid fence for the router?
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the next project is to make a dedicated fence for the table.

It is the Rockler plate and miter track. I plan on just using the miter slot for feather boards and to guide any sleds or miter gauge I will use in the future. Plus I like how the blue breaks up the black laminate. The router plate is for a Porter Cable 890.

Ultimately, this is what I want to end up with.

t

Comment

looks like a good goal to shoot for, good luck P
            Jack McManus
            Schumacher Homes

Comment

pneufab,
              that's pretty cool!!!
              what cad program are you using?
              I like to do the same on my table saw, as your drawing shows, but lower the overall height to about 33 or 34.

Comment

Looks good. Thanks for the pics it helps to see what your describing and in borrowing others ideas. Pat

Comment

Originally posted by ajsons View Post
                  pneufab,
                  that's pretty cool!!!
                  what cad program are you using?
                  I like to do the same on my table saw, as your drawing shows, but lower the overall height to about 33 or 34.

It is just the free google sketch-up
                  http://sketchup.google.com/

It took me a while to get the hang of it (I still have trouble making certain shapes) but it was free and is great for blueprints. I was a big fan of graph paper before I learned how to use it.

Thanks

t

Comment

Pneufab, can you clarify for me how you attached the extension? I'm assuming that the angle iron that you attached was bolted to the cast iron table top, is this correct? If so, then I'm assuming that the button head bolts are attached to the fence rails, is this correct? If it is, do you happen to have the dimensions of where you drilled for the button head screws to go through the side of your table?

Comment

Originally posted by beardking View Post
                      Pneufab, can you clarify for me how you attached the extension? I'm assuming that the angle iron that you attached was bolted to the cast iron table top, is this correct? If so, then I'm assuming that the button head bolts are attached to the fence rails, is this correct? If it is, do you happen to have the dimensions of where you drilled for the button head screws to go through the side of your table?
                      Correct and correct. The button heads are for the fence mount. I just used regular hex head cap screws for mounting the angle iron to the cast table.
                      I can measure tomorrow. I just drilled two holes between the ribs of the table ,so that I could get a nut and wrench in there.I slotted the angle a bit so that I could adjust it up and down to level it. The angle actually gets bolted to the table and then the MDF gets screwed to the angle. I just cut a few relief holes for the nut to slide over so the table is flush with the extension.

I will take some pics later today.

t

Comment

Working...
                      X