X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warranty

i guess all the tool makers are going to have to fallow milw. they just came out with a 2 year warranty on all there tools. yes ridge has a lifetime but thats only on there products to be free of defects in the prodution process.

I have owned ridgid,skil, black and decker, ryobi,milwaukee,makita, and some no name stuff. The only brand that didn't last was black and decker. I had a black and decker drill and sander that didn't even make it to 1 year before dying, and with infrequent use to boot. Even low end junk should last 2 years. Milwaukee and all quality makers should grow some wal(nuts) and implement longer warrantys, then people would be less hesitant to spend $200 for a drill.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I only got 22 years out of my B&D half-sheet sander, and only 18 out of my router before I dropped it and broke the case. Burned up some Craftsman stuff, Porter Cable, and some Makita, too, in about 3-4 years. I’m gonna have to stop using this stuff commercially.
      If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Jon,

Where did you see this new 2 year warranty policy of Milwaukee? Their site still lists the original limited one, without time limitation. Their latest press releases don't make any mention of a new warranty.

David

Comment

Deblieux,
          You had good luck with B and D. I consider 2 bad items from the same maker to be a problem. 1 bad item is chance.
          If you're using the stuff comercially and hard on a daily basis I could see failure being common. The only thing I abuse is my Milwaukee corded drill, it is indestructible.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Jon said:

-------------------------------------------------
            i guess all the tool makers are going to have to fallow milw. they just came out with a 2 year warranty on all there tools. yes ridge has a lifetime but thats only on there products to be free of defects in the prodution process.
            -------------------------------------------------

Jon, I don't know of any manufacturer that gives a warranty for other than defects. No one I know (unless you count Craftsman handtools, and then only broken ones) gives a "satisfaction" warranty on their tools. If you know different, please let me know so I can consider that brand in future purchases. Gee, use it a year and then when a better one with more features comes out, return it because I'm disatisfied. Great warranty.

gator

Comment

gator, i fix tools for a living what i mean is if you bring your tool to me and its burnt,and sa7y its 3 years old and looks good i will put a new motor in it or what ever it needs . and it would not cost you a dime. warranty does not mean tool swapping . milw sends me info before the public just as ridge does , b&d, makita, portercable, ect.

Comment

dave if you have a fax machine i wll fax it or make a copy of it and mail it. just to let you all know i am not a wood worker you guys and gals all know your stuff and the wood working tools you like to use. i just fix tools . dont use them much so please do not take me the wrong way. i like reading this forum and i learn a lot from all of you and i thank you all for that.

Comment

Jon,

Thanks for the offer. I've e-mailed you my fax details.

David

Comment

Jon,

Thanks for faxing me the new Milwaukee policy that comes into effect on all products manufactured after October 1, 2003.

It's a 2 year Limited Warranty, and as all others covers defects in material and workmanship only.

It's less beneficial than the present one, which is a Lifetime Warranty covering defects in material and workmanship. It matches Delta's 2 year policy, but is far less attractive to the purchaser than Ridgids present Lifetime or the soon to be announced 3 year Limited Warranties.

Milwaukee must have been taking a beating on replacement parts or it's Swedish owner, Atlas-Copco doesn't believe they need to be so generous to their purchasers.

So instead of being a good move for us, it's the exact opposite, it's more restrictive!

David

[ 08-11-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

hi dave , i got 3 more pages of that warranty that i have to read over. dont get me wrong i am a big ridge fan. i just have not worked on much of there wood working tools were only a warranty center for the threading and plumbing eq. now as taking a beating on parts well i think dewalt is the king . when a milwaukee comes there not in that bad of shape. but lets put it in perspective. all the tool mackers have those 3 or4 tools that are just awsome. the milw. sawzall is the best out ther hands down. the milw grinder you might as well throw it away when its down. so all these warrantys are basically the same. im telling you take a saw back to ridge after 4 years with a crack in the housihg and there going to tell you its abuse and not a defect,but with some arguing you might get it fixed for free or not. being a repair man some times i get make that call and it is always for the cutomer. we just opened a branch in the la. cal. area, well i think ? somewhere in cal. thanks dave.

Comment

Yup, Jon, I'm a user and am appalled by the awfull abuse some people give tools. Worked one place where somone abused a nice drill press so bad it bent the shaft. Can't remember what he did other than it was stupid. We manufacture radio transmnitters and see the abuse broadcasters put them through and then try to collect warranty repair!

Comment

Just like John Deere Warranty - Customers say all the time "I've had this tractor for 15 years and it has been this way since I got it!" Duuhh If they put up with the problem for that long why the urge to fix it now??? I'm just nasty at heart I guess. Rick

Comment

We're going to see most all tools go to these warranties since they've moved or are moving the factories out of the US. Milwaukee is going to Mexico with theirs.
                            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Working...
                            X