X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Walnut

One more question and I will try to leave everyone alone for awhile. Has anyone ever worked with black walnut and if so, how does it work? I saw some black walnut today that is just beautiful. It was steamed and the color resembles ebony it is so black. Would like to try it. Thanks for any input. Murray
    Goldenwing

Murrey,

I've refinished some black walnut tables. You are right, the grain is absolutely spectacular. I do know that it sands very nicely and takes a finish beautifully. While I would have preferred lacquer, I couldn't find it locally and ended up using polyurethane and I was pleased with the end result. With regard to actually working or shaping the wood, I haven't had the pleasure. But reading whatever I can, I understand it to be easily worked. It is said to be softer than oak or birch and it is labeled as "works well".

I do know that several years ago (back in the late 60's and early 70's) it was a very popular wood, the dark walnet being more rare and subsequently more expensive than the more reddish walnuts. Today, I think it is priced on the upper end of the scale. Certainly it still remains one of the most beautiful woods in my opinion.

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS...yes, from what I see at the kiln, it is on the upper end of the spectrum price wise, up there with cherry. I was just amazed at the blackness of the wood. I have looked around on Ebay and seen black walnut advertised, but never this black. Maybe it was just the photos. I am going to have to buy some soon and work with it. Should make a great doll cradle with the right finish on it. But since it will be for a child I think I best be very careful what I put on it. Love the look of ash too. It is so nice to finally find somewhere that has flat straight lumber and more than just oak and poplar like at the Big Orange Box. I have always been and will continue to be, a supporter of them, but its great to find a kiln that offers great lumber at almost half the price of Home Depot. Murray
      Goldenwing

Comment

Thanks CWS...yes, from what I see at the kiln, it is on the upper end of the spectrum price wise, up there with cherry. I was just amazed at the blackness of the wood. I have looked around on Ebay and seen black walnut advertised, but never this black. Maybe it was just the photos. I am going to have to buy some soon and work with it. Should make a great doll cradle with the right finish on it. But since it will be for a child I think I best be very careful what I put on it. Love the look of ash too. It is so nice to finally find somewhere that has flat straight lumber and more than just oak and poplar like at the Big Orange Box. I have always been and will continue to be, a supporter of them, but its great to find a kiln that offers great lumber at almost half the price of Home Depot. Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

Working...
        X