which mallet with which chisel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which mallet with which chisel

I have a nephew who is getting interested in woodwoking, mostly furniture making and some carpentry. I wanted to surprise him with a set of chisels and a mallet. plus a hammer to go with them, for his birthday. I was told by a guy in store thayt you can't use wood hanlde chisels with metel hammer or mallet, and can't use another type in combination---steel with plastic, or something like that. Salesman seemed to be trying to remember as he talked, I got feeling he was not certain. Any recomendations or advice?

Re: which mallet with which chisel

On my wood chisels, I use a dead blow hammer.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have always used a turned wood mallet for my chisels, right wrong or other wise.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It's always good to have a dead blow hammer in the shop. The type with a plastic or rubber head is very handy. I also always have a rubber hammer in my kit and at the work table. I use the rubber hammer mostly with any chisels. Mine are Irwin/Marples plastic-handled chisels, and the rubber hammer works fine. I got a cheapie 2-headed hammer (one is hard rubber the other is softer, white, non-marring) from True Value and it gets used all the time! I don't use the dead blow near as often now. I do have 2 metal hammers that I use mainly on job sites when having to set deck nails and such.

That's a great gift for your nephew! The gift of a skill is a tremendous thing. To reinforce that skill with good tools is really good of you. We may be seeing the next David Marks in the making!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Never strike a wood or plastic handle chisel with a steel or other metal hammer/mallet. Like BHD, I use a wood (oak) mallet and have had very good results. The learning comes with knowing how much of a blow to use and getting your good aim skills up. He will learn, I'm sure. This should make him a very nice gift. As for using a rubber shot filled dead blow hammer, I wouldn't go with one for now. It's very easy to land far too hard of a blow using one of them. If you can get chisels with metal handle caps, you might look at a good hefty rawhide mallet. They seem to take a beating better than wood mallets do. Where I like the wood mallet is that it doesn't damage wood or plastic handles near as much as do others. A solid rubber mallet can be used but you get loads of rebound with them. I personally think that will just frustrate him. By the way if the $$$ is OK get him a pretty small and also a good larger wood mallet. In use you'll understand the need for more than just one size.

My 1/2 cent worth.

This company is USA based and makes all manor of mallets. There's some good info on their web site and also you might contact them for recommendations.
          http://www.garlandmfg.com/index.html
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Woussko; 09-07-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. The part about wood and plastic being struck with metel was part I was confused about. All answers were helpful though.

I'm not going to spoil him (plus I'm a bit broke) so I'm going to get a set of Stanley's for him to start out, just a basic set. My nephew was just 17, and besides Heavy Metel music, especially from 1980's (I thank God he's not into rap) his girlfriend, and horror movies, I'm glad he's getting a hobby. Any other info would be very welcome, and thanks again guys.

Comment

The firs thing you need after you get some new chisels is a way to sharpen them, because they don't come sharpened, only roughly ground to the proper angle.

You don't have to break the bank here either. The "Scary Sharp" system is probably as good as any other system and the cheapest to get started and maintain.

Do some searching in the woodworking sections and you fond some excellent threads on chisels, sharpening, and restoring old chisels, along with links ot other sites with additional info.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
              X