Warning to Ridgid Jointer users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning to Ridgid Jointer users

Yesterday I was adjusting the leveling legs on my Ridgid 610 jointer. I was down on the floor trying to get under the stand to turn the leveling nut. I took my right hand and push slightly on the front of the machine to raise it up. What a shock when the jointer flipped over backwards. Fortunately it was close to the wall which caught it before it dropped to the floor, The stand is stable from end to end but not front to back.
    FYI

Yeoowwww!!

God is GOOD!

Be careful!
    <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx</a>

Comment

Mark, there's a better way!

I ran the tables level with each other, laid a level across the tables, and wrenched nuts to get the thing level. Used a 6" level for the width. The weight of that thing will keep the feet from spinning.

Other concerns have been posted to it's tippyness with mobile bases. I had casters on mine and removed them as I didn't feel it was stable enough for them. Plans are in the making for a mobile base with stops so it can't get past 10 degrees. It continues going over at 20 degrees. It's a narrow top heavy monster!
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody
        I think this is a serious and dangerous design flaw. Frankly I think the machine should be recalled. I'm going to inform Ridgid about that today,just to see what they think..

Comment

I put casters on mine and it was falling over. I ended up putting a couple of 2x4s across the base perpindicular to the table that extend about 6" out the back. Works great. Plus I'm tall so the added height is welcome.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

Mark,

Drop me an email so we can discuss this further.

Jake

Just a note: If you take a look at other models of jointers, I believe you will find their bases to be of approximately the same depth, though ours is much wider than most.

Comment

Jake, if you come up with some kind of solution, I would be interested in knowing about it. I also have this jointer, and while it hasn't tipped over on me yet, I have been aware since I assembled it that it could be a problem.

Comment

Stu
                Glad you chimed in on this forum as well. Jake in a private email said I was the first person to mention this problem. He thinks a mobile base could actually increase the stability. That ws not my experience

Comment

Don't know if it applies here, but no tool will be stable if you leave the mobile base in the rolling position. I know my bandsaw is somewhat unstable when rolling it---I always make sure to lower it, even if just a temporary location.

A universal mobile base---Delta or clone---will add to the footprint, but add minimal height to the tool. Shop Fox may be even more stable (though a pain to bend over to set it), since it's casters project out from the frame---bigger footprint---but real ankle biters!
                  Dave

Comment

The Delta universal mobile base I used on mine may slightly increase stability, but I didn't really use the jointer much without it and tend to doubt it added much, if any.

OTOH, it does make it easier to tip over when you raise the base to move the tool - this is more a problem with the mobile base design than with the tool design, IMO. If the base worked like the Herc-u-lift and kept things level, it wouldn't be so bad. I usually move the fence towards the front of the jointer to keep the weight closer to the centerline, which minimizes the chances of tipping.

The easiest way they could improve the stability of the base would be to keep the same design while extending the depth to the rear about 3-6" or so in order to allow for the weight of the fence that hangs off the back. This would allow a normal stance at the front while using the jointer, while at the same time improving rearward stability.

I've never had a problem while actually using the jointer. The only time I've had a potential problem is when moving it. (I say potential because moving the fence towards the front and being careful keeps it from being a real problem)

[ 03-11-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

Like Henry, mine is also on a home made mobile base. The first version with the casters under the original feet lasted minutes - was obviously unstable when the casters swiveled under the unit. But, like Henry, I added a 2x4 perpendicular to the table, and a couple inches makes all the difference in the world - no stability problems at all.

Comment

Though I have no welding equipment, a friend I work with has a home metel shop. He has agreed to assist me in my mobile base for my jointer. I'll try to describe my ideas. We work construction, and 3" angle scraps are discarded everywhere.

Make a frame just big enough for the jointer to sit in, with the angle going up the outside the perimeter, and under the machine. Drill wholes where the feet are in the corners, and bolt it to the frame.

Next take 3" long pieces of the angle and weld them on the corner with the L outwards, on the long side (front and back), but raise them so casters are about 1/2" lower than the framework. Drill and mount the casters.

Next take some solid round stock (out riggers) and weld it at a 10 degree angle reinforcing the caster angle mounts and weld on a 2" square, 1/4" thick pad at a 10 degree angle so it sits just under 1/2" above the caster.

If the machine tips, the pads will stop it at 10 degrees, and return to the casters. This design will not raise the heigth of the machine unless you want to. It can be painted the same color as the machine (previous posted a paint code to match Ridgid Gray) so it will look 1/2 way decent. And the 3"x1/4" thick angle will add some weight to the bottom end for better balance.

I've considered making the out riggers from hollow tubing, and welding a nut at top and bottom and using threaded rod with a star handle at the top to turn down the pads for stationary use. Haven't figured out how to make the pads pivot since the out riggers are at a 10 degree angle. Maybe use cheep HF C Clamps and cut away clamping part of the frame on the clamp and weld the pad on the swivel end of the threaded rod.

The casters and out riggers will be somewhat cumbersome to work around and take some getting use to so your not tripping over them on longer boards. But if mobility is a neccessity, I can't think of anything else that would be better short of mounting it to a frame and moving it around with a dolly. And that would surely play havoc with the table alignments. Have to keep that base solidly mounted or the top end will receive twisting torque.
                        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                        X