X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised panel doors

I know how to raise panels on the table saw, but have a question about making the rails and stiles. I know you can make them with squared edges with simple mortices and tenons, but is there a way to dress the inside edge without purchasing rail and stile bits for my router? I don't see how you can run the decorative edge after the frame is assembled and get clean 90 degree inside corners. I also don't know how you can assemble the rails and stiles if you run the decorative edge before assembling. Any suggestions or tips, or should I just invest $80 in a rail and stile bit set?
    Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

Brad,
    A good technique is to cut a filler strip on your table saw that will replace the waste that you removed when you cut the grooves in your rails and stiles. You can insert the filler into the grove and then use your router with a decorative bit that has a bearing on the bottom. The bearing will ride on the filler allowing you to route your decorative edge on the rails and stiles. Another idea would be to route your decorative edge before you cut the grooves. As long as your edge isn't too wacky and the workpiece gets good support from the rip fence, you should be able to cut the grooves afterward. Safety note: a featherboard might make the cut for the groove much safer. And as always, try it on scrap first. Hope that helps. Anybody else have any ideas?
    - Tim

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I will give those a try. My number one concern though is joining the rails and stiles after you have routed the decorative edge. For example....you have two rails and two stiles and you route a roman ogee edge on the inside of each. Now, on the upright stiles (where the rails will join) you have a decorative edge to join to the flat endgrain of the rail. How to you join the two with out two flat edges to mortice and tenon. Does that make sense? It is hard to describe without diagrams.

Brad
      Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

Comment

To accomplish this task, you need to forget about the router "cope and stick" method of door framing. Works with matching bits, but not with anything else. Instead, you look to how it was done 200 years ago.

OK, so you have grooved your rails and stiles for the panel, and have routed a decorative ogee all along the inside edge of all four pieces. What you want to do is cut the decorative ogee off the stiles, where the rails will overlap. Right at the inside corner, miter the rail and stile decorative ogee to meet.

How to hold the frame together? Either run the rails long and mortise them into the stiles, or mortise rail and stile and use a loose tenon.

This will take more time than using cope and stick bits, but will give a stronger door that will last nearly forever.

Dave

Comment

Hey Brad, see if this helps you any. http://www.woodmagazine.com/default.sph/wcontent_user.class?FNC =story__Asub_category1_html___7___47___124___268

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: woodstock ]

Comment

Working...
          X