X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue & Finish – Do They Mix

I've got 2 projects in the works and both have raised questions on how glue (say Titebond II) mixes with finishes. This isn't about squeeze out.

I'm assembling a couple of drawers and would like to stain (cherry color) the drawer fronts before gluing them together. The wood is poplar and I'm using drawer lock joints. The fronts (front and edge surfaces, probably not the back/inside surface) will be finished, stained and then a poly varnish. The sides and backs will not be finished. I would like to keep a neat dividing line between the stains and unstained parts. Will glue hold on the stained piece? I've thought about masking the glue line, but I'm not sure I can get the masking tape tight into the draw lock contours.

2nd project – This is an oak base to display a first people's doll. The base will be roughly 12" x 10" x 3 1/2". There will be a plastic display case set on top of the base. The person commissioning this (friend of a friend) wants the base to have pieces of drift wood fastened to the base. The oak base needs to be finished (stain & poly varnish). Once the base is finished can the drift wood be successfully glued to the finished surface? If so, what type of glue (yellow glue, poly, silicone, CA...). Or should I plan on nailing the drift wood onto the base. Or?

Thanks for any suggestions/advise.
    Dick

Re: Glue & Finish – Do They Mix

It's been my experience that glue does not stick to stained and finished surfaces. A suggestion for the driftwood is to tack down a couple small flat pieces on top of the stained surface, then glue the driftwood onto those pieces. Since they're small, you won't really notice them.

I don't have any suggestions for the drawer as I can't really get my head around what you're trying to do. Sorry for that...I have an older brain type with a slow processor!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

you need to put up some pics of this when you finish... it sounds very creative and very challenging.... Good Luck!

Comment

I think I over complicated the first question. More simply, can you get good glue bonding to a stained, but otherwise not finished piece of wood.

The situation is similar to a drawer front with half-blind dove tails (I'm not ready to tackle those yet) where you might want to stain the front piece, but leave the sides unstained. Of course with a draw lock joint the glue is quite important for strength.
        Dick

Comment

I think you should be ok w/the drawer lock joints as long as you don't actually apply stain in the joint. Since you won't be staining the sides, just be careful when staining the fronts not to run stain into the joint. You could apply some painters tape around the edge, just to keep any "goofs" from causing trouble in the joint. You don't actually have to run the tape into the lock cut itself, just enough around the very edge to make it easier to apply the stain. Otherwise, you'd be too careful around the edges and it might make the stain come out blotchy.

The stain on the drawer front shouldn't interfere with the lock joint as long as you don't apply stain right in the joint. When staining the top edge of the drawer, you could either just be careful or you could try to get some tape inside the lock cut. Stain takes to edges differently because of the way the grain lays there. There shouldn't be too much that seeps into the lock joint from the edges, so the lock joint will still have enough good glue surface.

I take it you're not going with a false front on the drawers. I think that's what was causing me to get confused.

I hope that makes some sense!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the help. You are correct, no false fronts on the drawers. I was thinking more about it last night and I am going to try and get tape as well into the joint area as I can.
            Dick

Comment

Dick, the stain, when dry will not create any problems for glue like tightbond. Apply poly or varnish after assembly. If you apply some CA onto the contact points of the driftwood and allow it to dry then you can use CA to glue the DW pieces onto the finished base. CA will hold for decorative pieces like the DW but will not hold up to useage like the drawers.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Papadan - Thanks for the advise. Those are the answers I was hoping to get, makes the work easier. I had thought that stain (only) wouldn't be a problem for the glue joints as it doesn't seal the grain. The CA suggestions for the driftwood sound very good.
                Dick

Comment

Working...
                X