cordless drill driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless drill driver

As most of you may have figured out from some of my other posts (and the fact i am on the ridgid site), i dont skimp on my tools, i buy quality and dont mind spending a few extra dollars on a quality tool. I like to spend money once on a quality tool, not two or three times throughout the years to buy a more economical tool that cant hold up. I have a cordless drill driver (12V craftsman) which is about 5 yrs old. it has been well taken care of but has seen heavy use. it is now at the point that a fully charged battery will only allow me to drive 3 or 4 screws before bogging down. I have a 1/2 inch milwaukee hammer drill but as i am sure you can understand it is not the proper tool to use as a "driver".

Anyone have any experience with the Hilti 12V cordless driver? Seems like a well made powerful tool and i am seriously considering it. I am not a big fan of the makita cordless tools, i used to own a makita 9.6V driver that was nice but i ran it into the ground and bought my current driver. Since the makita is out of the question for me, i am currently flipping back and forth between the hilti and the milwaukee. looking for opinions on both tools

thanks

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I had a Bosch 13.2V drill. It was an excellent drill for about a year until the low and high speed switch failed. Returned to Home Depot and they replaced it with a DeWalt 14.4 Xrp 3 speed cordless. I have to tell you that this is the best cordless drill I have ever owned or used. It has Ubelievable torque and the battery seems to run forever. I have used it for everything from roughing eletrical in new home building to various woodworking projects. It is worth every penny.

Comment

Just remember---cordless tools have come a long way, in a short time, as to power and quality. I've had a Makita 14v. cordless drill/driver for over 7 years and it's never failed me----and is probably my most frequently used tool.
      Dave

Comment

You don't mention how you use your drill/driver. If you will be using it on a daily basis on the job I would suggest looking around and see what the other guys are using. If you are a hobbyist, find one that fits your hand and feels balanced. I have a DeWalt 9.6v that I use 99% of the time and have yet to have it fail me. Its got plenty of torque and I very seldom have to drill/drive more than a batteries worth of holes/screws. In my opinion, most hobbyists buy drill/drivers that have more power than they need because its the Tim Taylor thing to do.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

My local tool dealer just sold me a Makita DK1035DL combo set for $299. This a 14.4 hammer driver/drill, circular saw, recipro saw, flashlight and blower/vacuum with 2.6 amp/hr batteries and 28 minute charge all in a really nice sliding drawer case.
          That is almost the price of the hammer driver/drill itself and $500 under the internet price. It pays to support your local tools store. Places that know your name. Makita gave him a "special deal" and he passed it on to me. Plus if I have any problems in next year or so he will make it right.
          It was such a good deal even the wife smiled!!!!
          This is a reason I wish Ridgid marketed their wood working tool line through local dealers instead of the 'Big Boxes'

[ 10-14-2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: RevEd ]
          Rev Ed

Comment

Two thoughts. I have a 12V Makita, which is used virtually every day. I wouldn't trade it for an umbrella in a monsoon.

Second, the only problem with your existing drill may be that the batteries are dead, or dying. With Makita, you can buy replacement batteries for any product, and I suspect that is true for other manufacturers as well. Why trash the drill if only the battery is bad.

And an observation: Ni-Cad batteries wear out after a while. The phenomenon is much like sulphation in the case of a flooded lead-acid battery, though the chemistry is different. The main problem is the charger that is sold with the battery.

Like flooded wet cells, Ni-Cads that fail to hold a charge can often be brought back to like via a "conditioning" charge. The basic notion is to drain the battery REALLY down, at a very controlled rate, then to re-charge using intermittent polarity-reversed pulses, then repeat the cycle two or three more times. Conditioners are routinely sold by Motorola (and some third-party sources) for the Ni-Cad batteries used in portable two-way radios, and they pay for themselves rather quickly.

Finally, don't let someone tell you that the foregoing doesn't also apply to Ni-MH batteries, or that Ni-MHs will last forever because they don't have the "memory effect." The "memory effect" is, today, largely a myth; the phenomenon I've described has nothing to do with "memory;" and it applies equally to Ni-MHs as to Ni-Cads, though Ni-MHs may take a few more cycles for the problem to become obvious.

It is too bad that the manufacturers of cordless tools don't make truly professional chargers an option for those willing to pay for them.

Comment

I saw the post about the Makita set and checked out my local Electric and Plumbing Supply that carries Milwaukee and Makita and they had this set in stock. I have been called a DeWalt addict but this set looked pretty good. I picked up two of them, one for myself and one for my son who has a small tree and irrigation business. My wife and I do small remodeling and repair jobs and this set is great for that. I have two DeWalt 12V drills, the 14.4V saw and drill kit; 24V hammer drill, 6.5 circular saw, recip saw; and 14.4V Craftsman saw and drill kit. I like them all and have had no problems except one of the Craftsman batteries is starting to die but it is five years old and has served well.

The 24V stuff is a stable of work horses but heavy. The 14.4V is lighter and has super torque for most jobs. The 12V drills are great for most light drilling and screw installation. DeWalt makes several versions of the 12V drills, the ones with the black padding on the back of the handle are very strong, almost as much torque as the 14.4V. I have not tried any of the new three speed models as I am happy to have two speeds.

When I first saw the small trim saws I thought they would not be worth much but I have been very impressed with the capabilities of all of mine.

The little blower/vac with the Makita set is really neat for small job sites. I was surprised how well it blew off my front porch and deck.

This Makita set is supposedly one that they are not going to offer anymore as they sell the 18V set now (Tool Crib @$829 with jigsaw).

[ 10-25-2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Bob S ]

Comment

I was told the Makita deal was because a big box (Home Depot, Lowes and etc) canceled a promotional deal. Makita was left with a warehouse of the kits and they were letting them go through their local dealer networks. Kind of a customer loyality thing and it is working from what I hear. The dealers are selling them as fast as they can and everything it turning from yellow to blue on the jobs.
                The Kits are stilling selling online for $800 plus.

Also the circular saw blade 6 1/2 inch is large than the average cordless.
                My son in law and myself each bought a kit and ever since the Dewalt 18 volts have collected dust.
                EdB

[ 10-25-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: RevEd ]
                Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                X