Your views on a good scroll saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your views on a good scroll saw

For those scroll sawers out there, its time to replace my 20 yr old scrollsaw and woundering on your views on the better benchtop models (I already have the stand) on the market now. I sure will miss my old one because changing the blades were easy and it has a 21" arm. But I don't belive it's made any more (Enlon, or somthing like that) The sticker fell off years ago. Any comments good or bad is worth the learning.

Re: Your views on a good scroll saw

Hello ernuse,

I have owned a Hegner scroll saw for 10 years now. Never had a problem with it. You can balance a nickel edge on the table and run it wide open and the nickle wont move. They are pricey and I think they are made in Germany. Here is a link to a review.
    http://www.finescrollsaw.com/hegnerreview.htm

Comment

Hegner are very good and they don't come cheap. Another that I've heard good about is the RBI Hawk line. Personally I have an older Delta that serves my limited needs. Would I buy another like it? No ... It shakes too much. Hang in there a day or two and I bet more will reply.

http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/

Comment

When I asked this same question a few years ago when my wife was looking to buy one, the overall favorite in the moderate price range was the DeWalt. We decided that for the limited usage she would give it that the Delta SS350 was a better choice for her needs. So far, she has been very happy the Delta. The few times that I have use it, I also found it acceptable for my limited needs.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have a Delta Q saw and like it but I don't think they are made anymore.I used an RBI and really liked it,tried a hegner once and it was a breeze to use ...spendy tho.
          Sam

Comment

I doubt they still sell them but some time back I remember SEARS had several books on the basics of scroll saws among other tools/machinery. If I remember correctly there was a good one by Patrick Spellman (spelling or name may be off a little) that discussed which scroll saws had what features, which were well engineered and constructed and which were found to be junk. In addition there was a good chapter on picking the right blade for a given job. Please look over the Olson Saw Blade web site. They make loads of scroll saw blades. There's some good reading there.

http://www.olsonsaw.com/scroll.html

If any of you have a manual coping or fret saw, do yourself a favor and contact Olson. They make blades for them too.

http://www.olsonsaw.com/saw_frames.html

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Been looking at diff. machines but not yet decided. Because of your info I have some good ideas at what to look at and some price ranges (yicks, $1000 +). I read in some past posts about the Ridgid SS but also understand it's no longer available. I know I don't like getting something like this without touching/playing with the knobs because being able to change blades easy without my fat hands getting banged up is important. And some machines make it difficult to quickly change blades. But, I will shop around. Thanks again.

Comment

ernurse

If you can, try looking up woodworking machinery dealers in your area and go visit them. In my regional area there are a few that do have working displays. Also, their sales staff should be able to help with selection. You just might get lucky and find a real special deal on a true gem.

Watch out on the $$$ as you'll need a good stool/chair, stand, blades and other accessories. That can add up to some good $$$ fast.

You might check your local library to see if they have any books on scroll saws and their use.

Comment

Do a search for scrollsaw forums there used to be 1 I read sometimes, lots of info online on these saws.I had an 50s delta for many years I bought used without motor for like 15 bucks and put a garage sale motor on had maybe 30 bucks in the whole thing an sold it 15 years or so later for 50.
                  Look around for a used hegner or rbi.Really not much ever goes wrong with those and parts can be ordered if needed,used I'd guess the cost usually at half or less of new as they generally have a limited market.A friend had a biz and ran her hegner about 6 hours a day 5 days a week with very little problem,she went thru a few cheapies before the hegner.
                  I bought a bunch of blades years ago off an on line scrollsaw site very cheap in large quantity.Olsen blades are the best I think and thats what I bought.
                  Sam

Comment

Working...
                  X