X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobcat shelve

So received a phone call yesterday from a store that has a customer that wants a shelve built. Ok so far so good, shelves are easy enough you say. Oh but here's the hard part said shelve needs to hold a bobcat. No not the heavy machine, the animal (sure hopes its dead already) and they want it to be woodsy (there word not mine) though I can understand that since we live in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

What I need help with is some ideas manly on how to hang this thing. Its going to be about three feet long have no idea how wide yet still waiting on the exact size but wanted to get started on getting ideas

This will be the first real big thing I've made for an actual customer so need to make it not only nice but good and strong. I have no idea how much a stuffed bobcat weighs.

Jim
    http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Re: bobcat shelve

Originally posted by jtravnick View Post
    So received a phone call yesterday from a store that has a customer that wants a shelve built. Ok so far so good, shelves are easy enough you say. Oh but here's the hard part said shelve needs to hold a bobcat. No not the heavy machine, the animal (sure hopes its dead already) and they want it to be woodsy (there word not mine) though I can understand that since we live in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

What I need help with is some ideas manly on how to hang this thing. Its going to be about three feet long have no idea how wide yet still waiting on the exact size but wanted to get started on getting ideas

This will be the first real big thing I've made for an actual customer so need to make it not only nice but good and strong. I have no idea how much a stuffed bobcat weighs.

Jim
    All mounts are different of course but I would say mine weighs maybe 20 lbs. If you need to know more exact I can pull it off of the wall tonight.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark I would really appreciate it also do you think you could take a pic of what its sitting on so I can get an idea for something. As of right now I'm thinking of going with French cleats for hanging it but am open to other ideas.

Thanks again
      Jim

Comment

French cleats will certainly be strong enough but it might be a little overkill. Plus you will need a backing behind the shelf onto which the cleat will fit. Which might not be a bad idea after all. You could mount a mirror on the back section to show the back of the cat. Unfortunately the mirror will also show the dust that no one has vaccumed from the cat's back. I have made shelves from interior hollow-core doors that will hold at least 20 pounds. I pick up damaged ones from HD for next to nothing.

Cut the shelf to size from one corner of the door. You will now have a piece of door with original plugs in two sides. Mill lumber the width of the plugs and glue in the end piece. Now all that is left is the back part of the shelf/door that is open. Cut the milled lumber to size to fit the back open part of the shelf/door. Screw that piece onto the wall. Put glue on the wall piece and slide the shelf/door on to it. Clamp it for a few hours, apply an edge treatment and set the dead kitty up there. Shelves made like this will hold a bowling ball collection.

I have tried to cut the plugs from other parts of the door and reuse them but it is a big a nusiance to clean the old glue off.

If you want the shelf to hold the real Bobcat, the heavy machine, add a few screws through the shelf down into the cleat that you screwed to the wall. If you are really really nervous you can pull out some of the honeycomb from the door section and glue in some of the lumber you milled that is the width of the door plugs.

-Tom

Comment

A friend of mine has a fox mounted on a piece of a branch. It looks very nice, but it's not what I'd call hangable. At least, so far, I've ducked out every time he starts talking about fox on wall. To make the shelf look woodsy, take a thicker piece that has some bark on the edge. Leave the bark in place (poly is good for that) and flatten the rest of it. If it's thick enough, some of the slide-over type mounts like you see on wooden curtain holder brackets would work.

Good luck with this project. I'd love to see some pics of your process.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you decide to go with VA Sandy's bark idea, which sounds good to me, I read on a woodturning forum that bark will stay on edges better if the tree is cut in the fall or early winter. True? I don't know but at least you are coming into the correct seson if it is.
            -Tom

Comment

Actually, what I've found to keep the bark on is soak some CA (superglue) into the join between the bark and the cambium(?I think it's called that...the layer right behind the bark) and then poly the bark itself. I'm not 100% sure the CA is really doing anything, but the combo has worked well for me so far. One part of a project I didn't CA, and I had some bark come off. It turned out ok (waiting on hubby to get his collection of pics to me), but I'll be more careful to get CA into every bark join from now on.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

WOW! Using that CA is an excellent idea for keeping the bark on. I have three different viscosities around here that I use when I make pens. The thin stuff would soak right in, hit it with a spray of accelerator and it would hold forever.

Good idea VASandy, thank you.

Tom

Comment

Besides the fact the cat is now jumping up on the wall trying to attack the mount everything went well.

Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mark So thats what a bobcat looks like. My eyes are going bad did that one where you weighed it say 10 pounds?

Sandy I like your idea and will keep it in mind and see just what the customer wants. One thing I was thinking of doing is getting some log siding and running that around the edges. Though now that I have seen the size of a bobcat think that might be a little big. Course still waiting to hear from the customer so will have to see just what they want.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jtravnick View Post
                      Mark So thats what a bobcat looks like. My eyes are going bad did that one where you weighed it say 10 pounds?

Sandy I like your idea and will keep it in mind and see just what the customer wants. One thing I was thinking of doing is getting some log siding and running that around the edges. Though now that I have seen the size of a bobcat think that might be a little big. Course still waiting to hear from the customer so will have to see just what they want.

Jim
                      It's around 12.25 lbs. Keep in mind other than the pelt everything is Styrofoam.

Mark

Comment

my bobcat does not look quit like that one maybe because she is still alive, follows me like a dog
                        Attached Files

Comment

did something like this years ago when i lived in the frozen wastes of ohio.
                          go out and get a LOT of dry branches and weather or stain them grey (driftwood is my choice), size the shelf and edge the piece in the branches. as for brackets, use thicker branches.i used glue and brads to hold the branches to the shelf, and lag screws to hold the brackets to the wall. come to think of it my shelf held a stuffed bob cat, too. memory is fuzzy, but, i think the shelf worked out to about 10-10-1/2"x 32", make sure the brackets are spaced to grab wall studs.
                          good luck.
                          peace.
                          m
                          Last edited by mcgtr; 11-26-2008, 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                          X