X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST COLLETORS AND NOISE

I have just about completed my new shop in fact today finished with insulatiion. About ready to buy the dust collector and I'm leaning toward the Grizzly 2hp G1029Z. Now my orginal idea was to house the DC and the air compressor in a corner in a space roughly 6'x6' to cut down the noise. Although my original plans were to close in the space allowing for air circulation and the duct work, I am now looking for alternates that would elimnate the construction of the two walls. Was thinking about hanging heavy drapes like a shower curtain around the space but wonder if that is practical.

Any ideas about noise baffling this equipment?

For starters, the DC noise isn't too bad...won't be anywhere near as loud as most shop vacs, routers, or other universal motors, but I still think it'd be good to isolate it. I also think the G1029Z is a great value on a good performing machine. You could place it in an enclosure outside the shop and duct through the wall. Your original thought of building petitions around it is pretty good IMO if you've got the space to spare. I doubt very much that shower curtains will cut much noise, but there are heavy industrial materials designed to reduce noise....chances are good they're pretty expensive.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

[ 05-31-2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Jerrbit, the exterior of my new shop should be finished in the next 2 weeks. Then I take over with the insulation and electrical. I am considering a dc system too. After talking with some folks more experienced than I, I wouldn't put my air compressor and the d.c. in the same room. I'd put the d.c. in a room all by itself. It seems they all leak a little and the dust could very easily plug the intake filter on the air compressor. At least that's the advice I received from some folks.

Comment

"Any ideas about noise baffling this equipment? "

I am contemplating a DC system also, and am concerned about the noise too. Though the dB level may be less than most power tools in the shop it is near the level where hearing protection is required (85 dB or greater). How do those who have a dust collector use it I wonder? Do you turn it on/off as needed or fire it up and left it run so you can move from one tools to the next w/o having to start/stop the DC all the time?

Noise from various machines will add together to create a higher noise level in the shop, one machine is not drown out by another louder piece of equipment and its lower noise level to then be ignored.

I was thinking of putting the DC in another part of the garage where it would not take up space in the shop area and the noise would be greatly reduced, but then I thought in the winter when I am trying to keep the shop warm the DC will be sucking the heat out faster (figuring a DC with 2000 CFM and a 6500 cf shop) or as fast as I am making it, the whole shop are would have a negative pressure with respect to the un-heated potion of the garage and the outside so in-leakage would bring in cold air. do those who have thier DC mounted outside the shop area find this to be true?

What about building some hinged panels suspended from the walls or ceiling that you cover with a sound absorbing material?

Comment

I have the G1029Z and it is a great machine. It is not near as loud as my Craftsman Shop-Vac. I turn it off if I won't be using it for a few minutes. Grizzly has a remote control for turning the DC off and on. Obviously you can use it as you move between machines and turn it on and off without having to walk over to the DC. I think I just talked myself into ordering one. Why not see how loud you think it is and then "isolate" it if you think it's necessary? As far as refugee dust, the Z model comes with a .3 micron bag. I have virtually no dust escaping from my DC.
          I'm sure you're aware that the G1029Z is 220v. only! Right?
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Bob D.---just FYI---adding noise of two machines running goes by what is called "the rule of 10". For example, if two machines each put out 85 dbA---the sum is approximately 95---or ten added to the measure of each separately.

Think the advice is headed in the right direction----if you can, get the DC outside---maybe housed in a bumpout closet-like thing. The trouble with curtins or other types of sound-deadening material, is that with minor leaks from the DC, you'll never get the sawdust off the fiborus material.
            Dave

Comment

I am contemplating a DC system also, and am concerned about the noise too. Though the dB level may be less than most power tools in the shop it is near the level where hearing protection is required (85 dB or greater). How do those who have a dust collector use it I wonder? Do you turn it on/off as needed or fire it up and left it run so you can move from one tools to the next w/o having to start/stop the DC all the time?
              According to the literature (dated 10/98) that came with my Jet, the noise specs for some of their models are:
              JSL-610DC 55-60 dB
              DC-650 60-70 dB
              JSL-1100DC 65-75 dB
              DC-1200-1/3 65-80 dB
              DC-1900-1/3 75-90 dB

I bought the little "Shopline" 610, mostly because was the quietest at the time, big enough for my needs, and low enough current to run on the same 20A circuit with the tool. It wouldn't bother me to leave it on (I've heard hoover floor vacuums that are much louder), but I power it from the $20 Sears automatic switch. Obvously this is a one tool at a time solution as the switch won't handle 2 tools (plus DC) running at once. I do cheat and plug all the tools I want to use into a power strip. This saves cord shuffling. Sears recommends you plug the tool directly into the unit.

As far as debris collection goes, it does an adequate job for my jointer, portable thickness planer, and router table. I use it for my TS3650 table saw, but I would have to say a shop vac seems to work better - perhaps its the section of 2" hose between the saw and gate. When I'm doing a big project (generally some custom trim work) I would like to have one of those chip separators since the little bag fills pretty fast. I don't think they still make this model, but the $150 Delta AP400 looks about the same. The primary drawback of these entry-level collectors would probably be lack of availabilty of 5 micron bags. If you are trying to control fine dust that's a whole new level.

FYI, noise is additive but its a logarithmic scale. 3dB is a doubling of power so running 2 75dB tools together is only about 78dB. 1dB is considered the smallest noticeble difference in sound level. So overall, if the collector is significanlty quieter than your tool, the total noise will not be much worse. So IMO, buy the smallest, quietest collector to that will suit your needs.

Comment

I agree with all that has been said about dB levels, and I know how the scale works. The noise figures for the smaller dust collectors units are less than I had thought, I have been looking into bigger units with the thought of piping up the whole shop.

Anyone have any thoughts about my concern with a large DC unit mounted outside the shop area and heating? It would seem counterproductive to heat the shop and even if running the DC only as needed it will certainly also suck out most of the warm air from the room too won't it?

Comment

Bob, I dont have mine in a separate room yet...
                  But I have read up on it and the suggestion is to have large enough filtered return air ports between your work room and collector storage room to support the CFM draw of the collector. This would allow the warm air that is sucked out of the workroom to be returned via the filtered ports. You are right about the heat as a modest 1200 CFM collector will change the air in my garage every 3 minutes. Also unless your garage is open at the rafters or you keep the garage door open there is no way you will be able to supply your 2000 CFM collector with enough air flow and you will starve it providing about as much suction as a tiny collector.

Comment

I too am looking for a good DC. I have found a
                    Craftsman 1-hp, 650cfm, 30-micron that is portable and claims to be good for wood chips also. My shop is only 16x24. Has anyone seen this machine in action?

Comment

The 1HP, 650CFM units are primarily point of use DC's that are only hooked up to one machine at a time. They're nice an portable and can be moved around the shop easily. However, having to move it and reconnect it everytime you want to use it on another machine could get old real fast. If you've ever considered piping your shop for dust collection, this is not the DC you want. If all you're interested in is a DC to capture the sawdust from your TS, then this unit will certainly do that.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot. Trash the 30 micron bag and replace it with something in the 1.0 micron or lower rating. Your shop will stay much cleaner and your lungs will thank you.

[ 06-16-2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What he said. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave - you beat me to that one. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Lorax
                        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I bought the Shop Fox w1666 2hp and just love it.the noise level is very low I open my door and just leave it run and can still here the radio playing so my vote is the Shop Fox at
                          $287.00 Good Luck

Comment

where can I find info on the Shop Fox. That sounds like a pretty good DC. Does Jet make one comparable to that. Does it run on 115 or does it have to have 220. Thanks!

Comment

Try this link at Amazon . There is a review there also.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X