X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigs and my first table saw project

I have been offline for a while due to a new job and recovering from the Hurricane but I finally finished my first table saw project.

I had to finish building my crosscut sled and a taper jig before I could start. Also built a couple of simple push blocks out of scraps which are not original but work great.

My project was an Anirondack chair that I have been wanting to build for a while. I got frustrated trying to find some good cedar boards and ended up buying some absolute junk from the big box stores so I consider this a prototype until I can get further up north for some real cedar.

I happened to find some 5/4 deck boards for the legs, side, top and bottom rails. I used some really light weight aromatic cedar for the seat and back slats which is OK but splits easily but looks really nice.

Thanks for all the help and advice here.

Pictures below.
    Attached Files

Re: Jigs and my first table saw project

And here is the taper jig.
    Attached Files

Comment

Roy
      Nice looking chair. I really like those kind of chairs but the boss say no way does she want anything like it in the yard. Something about bad memory's and splinters. Also like the cross cut sled.

Jim
      http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

That's a fine looking chair. Your shop jigs put mine to shame. I especially like your over-the-fence push stick and tapering jig.

Comment

Nice jigs and table saw accessories!
          Super nice job on the chair!

What are you going to use for a finish / coating on the chair?

Comment

Hi Roy

A few comments with your permission

The sled look super and the push/pull handle (dowel) is a great way to push the sled at the center and to keep your hand high above the danger.

As for the push stick/shoe, they are very nice...from my experience, the anti-skid mat becomes "slippery" with time (and dust) and I prefer to glue #100~120 sanding paper but, maybe your mat is higher quality than the one that I have so, you'll not have any problems.

The tapering jig is simple but looks very effective - very nice.

And now, lets go to the "main menu"....the Adirondack chairs....they are on my "dream list" but somehow, I did not make any...maybe next year...

Beautiful job on the chairs and please post some pics after you apply the finish...

Oh, about the pictures...hey Roy, I had to roll up/down, left/right to see all the pic...I'm still with 13" laptop...no consideration ? (just joking).

Regards
            niki

Comment

Your jigs are very nice. I do like that tapering jig a lot. Good job! I love the chairs too. Very well done!! Tell me that's not your first project!!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

hey Roy!

the chairs look great and the jigs are great. most important of all , im glad to see you back. did the hurricane cause you a lot of problems?

Comment

I think you did a great job on the chair also. i also like the jigs, looks like a pretty easy way to make a taper jig. think i will have to make myself one

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    That's a fine looking chair. Your shop jigs put mine to shame. I especially like your over-the-fence push stick and tapering jig.
                    Thanks. The over the fence seemed to be the most safe and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                      Nice jigs and table saw accessories!
                      Super nice job on the chair!

What are you going to use for a finish / coating on the chair?
                      Since this is not the best lumber I was not going to do anything but changed my mind to some Spar Urethane. Last coat going on tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by niki View Post
                        Hi Roy

A few comments with your permission

The sled look super and the push/pull handle (dowel) is a great way to push the sled at the center and to keep your hand high above the danger.

As for the push stick/shoe, they are very nice...from my experience, the anti-skid mat becomes "slippery" with time (and dust) and I prefer to glue #100~120 sanding paper but, maybe your mat is higher quality than the one that I have so, you'll not have any problems.

The tapering jig is simple but looks very effective - very nice.

And now, lets go to the "main menu"....the Adirondack chairs....they are on my "dream list" but somehow, I did not make any...maybe next year...

Beautiful job on the chairs and please post some pics after you apply the finish...

Oh, about the pictures...hey Roy, I had to roll up/down, left/right to see all the pic...I'm still with 13" laptop...no consideration ? (just joking).

Regards
                        niki
                        Niki,
                        Thanks for the comments and I am a big fan of yours.

Most items are built with what I had laying around. The dowel is an old closet rod and seems to work good.

Thanks for the tip in the sand paper. I have a large roll of the drawer liner and actually put it together in 5 minutes so not much thought. I just pulled some scraps out that were already cut that way.

I took the photos on my phone so I thought they would be the right size and lower quality. I will resize them next time.

Photos with finish should be here in a day or so.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                          Your jigs are very nice. I do like that tapering jig a lot. Good job! I love the chairs too. Very well done!! Tell me that's not your first project!!
                          Thanks. I actually thought about the chairs for a couple of months before finally building one. I have been working with caveman tools for 20 years and it is amazing what you can do with a router and good table saw.

Could not have done it without all the tips here.

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                            hey Roy!

the chairs look great and the jigs are great. most important of all , im glad to see you back. did the hurricane cause you a lot of problems?
                            Not too bad on the storm. Only 2 days without power and some light roof damage. Getting around the city has been difficult.

Many friends still do not have power so we are lucky.

Comment

For those that are interested here is the photo with the finish applied. 3 coats of satin finish spar urethane on the back, seat and arms. Less on the rest of the chair.

I am not worried about rot with cedar but wanted to keep stains down and a consistent color over time.

Night time shot so hope the color comes out. Spar Urethane produces a nice golden glow if you have not used it before. It is also not a hard arcylic so it gives a little with wood over time subjected to the elements.

Reduced size to be web friendly.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X