X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 motor mounting

I just purchased a new TS3660 and completed the assembly. The one thing that left me wondering was the actual mounting of the motor. Page 26 of the owner's manual states the following:

--Loosen the two hex head screws that lock the pins in the mounting brace.
    --Insert the two pins on the motor assembly into the holes in the mounting brace. Push in as far as it will go.
    --DO NOT tighten screws at this time.

Then it explains how to Install the Belt Guard

Next are instructions on how to Install the Belt which mentions the following:
    -- Place your hand around the belt halfway between the two pulleys and squeeze the belt until the two sides of the belt touch. The motor should move freely as you squeeze the belt. If the motor does not move freely, the motor must be repositioned

At no point after that can I find instructions on how to properly tension the belt and secure two hex head screws that lock the pins in the mounting brace. In my opinion the weight of the motor is not enough to keep the belt tensioned. I pulled the motor out until the springs on the mount were pre-tensioned half of their travel, and went looking for more detailed instructions.

I checked the website for an updated owner's manual but it showed no more detail than the included document.

Did I overlook something in the owner's manual? I searched this forum but found no mention of this issue.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

B3030

Re: TS3660 motor mounting

I don't know if I did it right but I pulled the motor and pins out of the mount so that when the blade is all the way down there still is about 1/4" of travel still available in the slot on the motor mount. also at full height there is about 1/4" of travel left.

Comment

All you have to do is pull the motor out as far as it will go once you install the belt. The motor has a self tension spring to give you the proper amount of tension to the belt.

Comment

Check pg 25 in the online manual for the 3650 and see if it has a better description of the process.

The sequence is a little different than you describe. The act of squeezing the belt pulls the motor in and establishes the tension. If you have the belt too tight IIRC you'll get motor 'jump' on start-up.

The belt comes back off to install the guard AFTER the motor has been set for proper tension. It should be possible to slip the belt off the motor pulley w/o disturbing the HH screws that lock the motor mount pins in place.

The whole section (in both manuals apparently) needs clarification of the steps to perform. Adding some item numbers to the drawing and text that help tie the two together would be good. So instead of just saying "hex head screws" which is pretty vague it could be "Hex Head Screws (Item #3)" or something along those lines. And of course the drawing would have callouts with item numbers for components being manipulated. That way there is no doubt which screw to turn.

They will most likely never fix the TS-3650 manual since it is no longer made, but there could be hope for the TS-3660 manual.

Click your heels and rub your tummy & head in opposite directions at the same time and maybe it will come true.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bert304 View Post
          All you have to do is pull the motor out as far as it will go once you install the belt. The motor has a self tension spring to give you the proper amount of tension to the belt.
          That crucial piece of info is what is missing.

This is as close as they get:

To reposition the motor, loosen the hex nuts on the
          mounting brace and either push the motor in or pull it
          out as needed. Check at maximum elevation also.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I was stumped reading the manual too. I determined that with the blade in the lowest position, I pulled the motor out until the tension of the belt cause the motor mount to just come off of the positive stop on the motor travel slot (arc). I then locked it there. When you raise the blade, it causes the motor to travel up and down that arc under the correct tension.

When I fire my saw up, there are no squeals, rattles, or vibrations, so I presume I have it adjusted properly.

Did that make any sense?

Comment

Sounds like you have it right. The belt tension is a combination of the motor's weight and the spring tension. As long as the pin in the curved slot does not bottom out at either full up or full down, you should be fine.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by bert304 View Post
                So, once the motor is slid out all the way on the two pins, do you tighten the hex bolts with the tensioning springs compressed? That would seem the only way to get pre-tension on the motor (besides the actual weight of the motor).

B3030

Comment

With the blade set all the way up, pull out the motor until the spring is almost fully compressed with only about 1/4" travel left before the motor pivot assembly bottoms out at the top. Tighten the hex head bolts on the rods, and then squeeze the belt to ensure you still have enough movement to allow the motor to pivot. Then drop the blade to its lowest position and make sure the pin does not top out in the curved slot. The pin in the curved slot has to have a little travel remaining at both extremes.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                  X