X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita 2.25 hp routers

I would like to know the Good and the bad about these routers? Are these routers on sale at the woodworking show?Thanks
    Andy B.

Andy

I’ve had the RF1101 kit for approximately 1.5 years and it has performed flawlessly. I have not attempted to use any 3+ inch raised panel bits but it has more than ample power to plow a 1 inch straight bit through any wood I have thrown in its way. I’ve wanted to purchase the new Milwaukee 2.25 hp variable speed body grip router but I just can’t justify it since the Makita works so admirably in the table and as a plunge. I must admit though, if I were purchasing a kit today I would consider the new 890 series PC’s, I have not had an opportunity to scrutinize them, but they have some features that the Makita is lacking, i.e. above the table adjustment and auto spindle lock-single wrench bit changes.

Woodslayer

Comment

I've recently purchased the Dewalt 2.25hp VS router kit to replace my PC 693pk kit.

The Dewalt has many features that I'm finding very handy, such as:
      Removable cord set - A feature I now find to be invaluable, especially because I have the d-handle base, and could not imagine having a 10' cord zip-tied, hanging there whilke routing.

Also, shaft-lock - I can just about change bits with the router mounted to my table because I no longer need two-wrenches. The vacuum-thru-the post feature is amazing. It works very good, and routing dust free (plunge) is still suprising me. The motor removal is also a pleasure, no more screwing out the motor to remove from the router table - it just pops out.

Having the 693 1 1/2 hp PC kit, I regretted buying the Dewalt after I saw that the new PC Kits had been introduced, but after seeing the new PC kit at the latest WW show, I'm still glad I went with the Dewalt - It seems a lot simpler, and no so top heavy, and the remov. cord is a must fro me now. Although I admit having above the table adjustment would be great, the dust collection for handheld beats it.

Also, it doesn't hurt that I paid $234 for a three base kit...

Regards,

Julian Tracy

Comment

Julian nice purchase.

I'm stuck in that DeWalt / Porter cable circle right now I'm ready to buy one but waiting to see a good price that makes me pounce.

Don't really want to spend 300 bucks on a combo set. You should sleep good at night though. The plunge on the DeWalt is much smoother than the porter cable.

Jake

Comment

my rf-1101 kit is great. money well spent. i would not trade it for anything!
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Hi Folks, I've been a reader for a while but was inspired to register by Jake's comment about looking for a good price on the new PC 890 series or the Dewalt router. Amazon is having $25.00 off sale on any tool purchase over 199.00. And they throw in free standard shipping. I just bought the PC895PK (Plunge base, fixed base, thru-table adjuster) for 214.99. I'll give an update on how I like it when it arrives and I log some time with it. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

Working...
            X