X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill press table

its 6 am here and im trying to decide whether to get in the shop and finish my outfeed table or go throw a topwater plug for an hour or so. my question is do any of you have a link on building a drill press table. if you have built one, id like to know your thoughts on it. thanks

levon

Re: drill press table

Don't have clue about drill press tables. The drill press will always be there but the bass might not. I hope you went to throw the plug.

In a couple weeks a guy is going to show me how to fish for carp. It sounds like fun.

-Tom

Comment

There are tons of plans and ideas available. I don't want to sound redundant but a Google search or even a search on this board should yield you more than a few ideas. A drill press table is one accessory that is so easy to build and can usually be built with scraps that buying one never made sense to me.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Save some time, check out Harbor Freight item 96395-2vga
        It's a drill press extension table for $32.99.

23 7/8 W, 11 3/8 long, "T" tracks and fence hold down, and stop block.

It's made from 1" particle board.

Now sure you can build one ...but for $33.00 this is a bargain

Cactus Man

Comment

BD

maybe i should have something different. most drill presses , i think have holes completely through the stock table. my grizzley doesnt. i dont want to drill holes in my stock table. i think building a table will be no problem. i was thinking, is there a way to build a wood table that clamps onto the stock table? any help would be appreciated.

Comment

leven, you could do something like this.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

thanks BD

that helps a lot. by the way, check out the project pic thread. i posted a few pics of my outfeed table i finished this morning, its no work of art, but im so glad to complete this.

Comment

I purchased the Rockler Drill Press Table earlier this year. I didn't particularly care for the mounting methond that they employed. So, what I did was place this new table upside-down on the assembly bench and then pulled the plate out of my Ridgid 1550 drill press, where I then placed it upside-down on the bottom of the Rockler table, so I could mark it and ensure the positioning was centered precisely.

I then took two scraps and rabbited their edges so that it fit perfectly over the edges of the cast iron table. I then screwed and glued them to the bottom of the Rockler table in a manner that would allow me to slide the new table in place over the existing cast iron table.

Project took about an hour and now I have a "woodworking" table that can easily be slide on and off the cast iron table. I employed a couple of T-nuts and bolts in my "slides" to lock the woodworking table in place.

I'm off to the project house on Monday and while I'm there I'll try to remember to get a couple of picture to post when I return in a week or so.

As far as building vs purchasing, the Rockler table or anything similar would probably be easy enough to make, but considering time and money, the Rockler table is a fairly inexpensive way to go, IMO.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

thank you for your help CWSMITH. i used my drill press a lot on my last project and the small table can be aggravating. also i had to use rollers to support even fairly short pieces. im not wild about hf, but they have one so inexpensive that i may even try it.

Comment

I can appreciate that someone would want to make their own table. I was at Woodcraft trying to get the tracks and clamps to make my own table but they didn't have the parts I needed.

I have been eyeing this Woodpecker Drill press table. I really like the track they use with measurements.
                    http://www.woodpeck.com/wpdrillpresstable.html
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                      I can appreciate that someone would want to make their own table. I was at Woodcraft trying to get the tracks and clamps to make my own table but they didn't have the parts I needed.

I have been eyeing this Woodpecker Drill press table. I really like the track they use with measurements.
                      http://www.woodpeck.com/wpdrillpresstable.html
                      I have a Delta DP350, which is definitely not a "woodworking" drill press. To mount the table I got, I used long bolts and drill through the cast iron table. It didn't make me happy to drill it, but it certainly has not affected the functionality of the stock table.

Tyman, that Woodpecker's DP table is sweeeet. That's what I wound up getting, even after I built my own (darn plywood has some crown that I just couldn't get flat). The top is dead flat, very smooth/slick and the hold-down track, cross-T track, and flip stops are awesome.

Look out for a Woodpecker's 10% off email coupon, or free shipping and save a little big. The former they do at least once a quarter. The latter only once, maybe twice a year.

Comment

Working...
                      X