Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Light Improvement

Originally posted by reConx View Post
    I think CFLs can make sense on power tools and I like the potential cost savings and decreased heat output. I tried a 6 pak set of CFLs a few years ago in my basement recess lighting and I did not have good results to justify their expense over regular incandescent bulbs. The package stated that they save on energy costs because they provide similar lighting at lower wattage. The package also stated they last 7 years. The fine print stated they last 7 years if only used for four hours per day. Those CFLs died a relatively quick death one-by-one until I replaced them all with regular 65W incandescent bulbs. With electricity rates on the rise I tried another 6 pak set of CFLs in the kitchen chandelier. The complaints this time were from the wife and family: The CFLs made the food on the table strange looking and unappetizing even though it tasted great. So out went the CFLs and potential savings in my household until BD came up with this great idea....
    Let me know your experiences with CFLs.....
    I used to replace incandescent bulbs fairly often in my fans and desk lamps. After installing CFL's over a year ago I have not had to replace a bulb? My drill press uses a candellarberer type socket so I have to replace it fairly often. I agree if you don't use the right CFL they can make things look off color.

Buck

Comment

Re: Work Light Improvement

Originally posted by BuckB View Post
      I used to replace incandescent bulbs fairly often in my fans and desk lamps. After installing CFL's over a year ago I have not had to replace a bulb? My drill press uses a candellarberer type socket so I have to replace it fairly often. I agree if you don't use the right CFL they can make things look off color.

Buck
      Hey Buck, our local Lowe's had 4-paks of candelabra CFLs on clearance a couple of weeks ago. 60w equiv. 4-pak for $3+. I swapped out 4 of the 8 bulbs in one of our chandeliers and am very pleased with the result. They are a bit smaller than other CFLs but might still be too big for your drill press. Worth a look if you're headed to Big Blue any time soon. I picked up a couple of Hunter room air cleaners today for half-price, as well.

Comment

Working...
      X