Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying edging perpendicular to the grain...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying edging perpendicular to the grain...

Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to what the best technique is when applying hardwood edging to a hardwood panel (countertop) perpendicular to the grain is? In other words, in the direction of seasonal expansion and contraction.

It would seem if I just glued it, then the expansion would eventually break the glue joint.

Typically, for a shelf, or something similar, I would dado the edging and press it into place over the shelf, but that leaves a ridge at the top. A nice accent for a shelf, but in this case, I want the edging to be flush with the top of the counter surface.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Applying edging perpendicular to the grain...

I would do a breadboard end.
    You cut the end to form a tongue and the breadboard needs a corresponding slot. Think of a huge mortise and tenon joint.
    The ends of the tongue are cut out about 1" from both edges to allow the breadboard end to encase the tongue and allow the main counter to expand within the slot. Depending on the width of the counter you would use 3 to 5 (or more if necessary) pins to hold on the breadboard end. The centre pin is drilled tight, the other pins are drilled then the end is remove and the holes are ovaled in the tongue in the direction of grain movement only. This allows the end to remain pinned tight to the counter but the counter can expand and contract freely. The pins can be drilled through or kept blind to the top. Glue the centre pin. Care is required when gluing the other pins, no glue can get on the tongue area

Comment

Working...
    X