Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mobil base for Ridgid jointer

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
    the herc-u-lift is not designed for the jointer. due to the dimesions of the leg stand, it is unlikely the retracting casters would fit. someone did adapt a herc-u-lift to fit the jointer and posted photos on this forum. it looked, to say the least, very unusual. i have the ridgid jointer and found this base to accomodate it very well:

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces...ext/50025.html
    The more I reseach this more I am leaning towards something just like that. Any idea how much clearance you have when its on the wheels?

Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
      A little history - I really need/want a jointer but finances and space are an issue. Because of this I picked up a delta 6 1/8" benchtop jointer. It seems that this may not have been a good decision as just about anywhere I look on the net the general feeling is not to get a small benchtop model. I figured most of what I do is on the small side and typically wouldnt be face/edge jointing boards over 3 or 4 feet. If I need more capacity it would be because I have a fair amount of cherry in the 8" -13" range in which case I could drive an hour to a woodworking club and use their larger capacity jointer (something I dont want to do for smaller boards and is a pain making that that drive whenever I need to joint some wood). A 6" will suit me fine and I would have to think there are some happy owners out there with the delta, otherwise they wouldnt make them. I havent used it yet and may return it which leads me to this...

In its place I would get the ridgid jointer but I need it to be on a mobile base. There is no more room in my small one car garage but do have a crawl space off the garage and could store in there when not in use. There is a slight lip in the doorway so the mobile base would need to keep the tool off the ground more than the herc-u-lift does for the 3650 table saw (as much as I love the herc-u-lift I wish it would raise the saw a little higher as I have an uneven garage floor and cant get the saw past this and into the driveway - would like to use the saw outside on nice days).

My question is what do you use for a mobile base on your ridgid jointer? I have a spare herc-u-lift from a 3650, could that be modified to work on the jointer? I also I have the stand alone herc-u-lift, could the modified easier than the one that comes with the saw?

Any thoughts on the mobile base would be greatly appreciated.
      Interestingly, I also purchased the small Delta jointer/planer some time ago. It is OK for rough and tumble work and for boards that are not too short; say, not more than 2-3 feet long. One thing I did was to install a second infeed table lock knob on the other side. (This required some drilling and diddling.) This better secures the table so that it does not rock around any. I also temporarily removed both tables and installed shims underneath (and did a bit of filing, too) to get them both parallel.

Later on, I purchased the Ridgid jointer/planer for more precision work. Note that I review this planer on this site's "tool review" page.

As for making the heavy Ridgid table mobile, here is what I did, with a bit more detail than I used in my review. Using 2x4 boards and a piece of 1/2-inch plywood a bit larger than the planer's stand footprint, I built a solid platform and then installed 4-inch, soft-rubber, caster wheels underneath. (The board must be large enough for the footprint of the wheels to be somewhat larger than that of the stand by itself, else the thing will be tippy.) I then attached the stand to the platform using large wood screws. I also installed a self-made wooden handle on one end of the planer's stand to allow me to get a good handhold on it.

The wheels roll easy and I can now move the unit out onto the deck in front of my small shop for working outdoors. To keep the thing from moving around during planing work, I also built some solid wooden wedges that can be pushed into place under the stand to stabilize things. All of this stuff works like a charm, and since the wood was scrap material I had on hand and I have a huge selection of wood screws and glue, all I had to do was purchase the wheels (cheap) at Harbor Freight.

One other byproduct of this project is that the planer is now 6.5-inches higher than before, which gets the tables up to a more practical work height.

Howard Ferstler
      Last edited by Howard Ferstler; 10-10-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

i'm not sure what you mean by your wheel clearance question. the mobile base i linked for you is adjustable over a range of sizes. my 0610 fits it perfectly and has never given me an ounce of trouble regarding ease of movement.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          i'm not sure what you mean by your wheel clearance question. the mobile base i linked for you is adjustable over a range of sizes. my 0610 fits it perfectly and has never given me an ounce of trouble regarding ease of movement.
          I am referring to how high the tool sits off the ground when the wheels are engaged. There is a dip in the floor where the jointer will be when not used. If it doesnt ride high enough off the ground it wont clear it. I have the issue with my 3650 because the herc-u-lift doesnt lift the saw high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
            I am referring to how high the tool sits off the ground when the wheels are engaged. There is a dip in the floor where the jointer will be when not used. If it doesnt ride high enough off the ground it wont clear it. I have the issue with my 3650 because the herc-u-lift doesnt lift the saw high enough.
            The Herc-U-Lift divice has the wheels inboard from the ends of the stand legs, meaning that if the unit has to be run up or down a ramp of some kind (and I have to to this when moving my jointer/planer out onto my outdoor work deck from my small shop) the outboard stand tips might snag on the ramp. The way to solve this problem with any mobile stand is to have the wheels outboard of the stand leg ends or attached to the leg ends themselves. I think I saw this kind of wheel arrangement on a Hitachi table saw being sold at Lowe's.

As I noted in my particular commentary about planer mobility, I built a flat-base bottom for my stand out of wood and simply bolted the stand bottom to it. (You use the same holes that would ordinarily have the adjustable pads attached to the stand-leg bottoms.) The base has four-inch, soft-rubber wheels on the bottom that make it easy to roll the planer even over an irregular deck surface. (The underside of the base is over 4 inches from the floor, giving plenty of clearance.) I use wedge-shaped "chocks" to stabilize the unit when I get it into position. One byproduct of the modification is that the thickness of the base, plus the height of the wheels, raises the planer 6.5 inches higher up than stock, which makes it easier to use. Most jointer/planers in this size category sit too low.

This mobile base cost me the price of the wheels alone, because I already had the screws in my parts bin and the wood was left-over plywood and 2x4 pieces.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Howard - I am going to make a base like the one you describe, sounds easy enough and I have most of the materials on hand. Should work out great for my needs. Did you mention you made a handle? I would be interested in how that works.

Comment

I'm now thinking of building a plywood base to lift jointer up to table saw hight and fitting the base to allow my wheel cart to slip under for the rare move.

Comment

Hopefully this weekend I will make the plywood base, seems like the best and most cost effective option. Once done I will post some pics.

If there is a downside its I wanted to keep the jointer as close to the same height as possible (hence trying to retrofit the herc-u-lift). I am on the short side so the height of the jointer is actually perfect for me.

Comment

I built one of these.
                    http://www.woodmagazine.com/ideas/wo...shop-3/?page=5
                    Worked well, then I got one of these at HD on clearance
                    http://www.portamate.com/pm1000.html
                    so I took the first base and built a clamp rack and sat it in the one I had made. I works great.

Comment

This may give you a few ideas it has the Rockler mobile base

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=mobile%20

base under it with a kick down wheel. I raised my Unisaw to 36 1/2" & set my Jointer at 32" so the fence was just below table height of the Unisaw. The Jointer is a Craftsman & very similar to the Ridgid it is very stable. To use it I just kick the wheel down on the infeed side & pull that end out & can joint 8' material with no problem.
                      Edit/Delete Message
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by VLL; 12-03-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I put mine on a Sears mobile base that I no longer see on their site - it was on closeout for $39. The wheels sit above the base which makes the base closer to the floor and, therefore, less top heavy. It works well in my little shop for getting the thing out of the way.
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...
                        X