X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobil base for Ridgid jointer

A little history - I really need/want a jointer but finances and space are an issue. Because of this I picked up a delta 6 1/8" benchtop jointer. It seems that this may not have been a good decision as just about anywhere I look on the net the general feeling is not to get a small benchtop model. I figured most of what I do is on the small side and typically wouldnt be face/edge jointing boards over 3 or 4 feet. If I need more capacity it would be because I have a fair amount of cherry in the 8" -13" range in which case I could drive an hour to a woodworking club and use their larger capacity jointer (something I dont want to do for smaller boards and is a pain making that that drive whenever I need to joint some wood). A 6" will suit me fine and I would have to think there are some happy owners out there with the delta, otherwise they wouldnt make them. I havent used it yet and may return it which leads me to this...

In its place I would get the ridgid jointer but I need it to be on a mobile base. There is no more room in my small one car garage but do have a crawl space off the garage and could store in there when not in use. There is a slight lip in the doorway so the mobile base would need to keep the tool off the ground more than the herc-u-lift does for the 3650 table saw (as much as I love the herc-u-lift I wish it would raise the saw a little higher as I have an uneven garage floor and cant get the saw past this and into the driveway - would like to use the saw outside on nice days).

My question is what do you use for a mobile base on your ridgid jointer? I have a spare herc-u-lift from a 3650, could that be modified to work on the jointer? I also I have the stand alone herc-u-lift, could the modified easier than the one that comes with the saw?

Any thoughts on the mobile base would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mobil base for Ridgid jointer

I bought my Ridgid jointer a few years ago. At the time Ridgid did not recommend the use of a mobile base on their jointer because it would make it top heavy. I found a space for mine against a wall. When I need to use it I pull it out a little. It is pretty heavy but I don't need to move it far, just a couple inches.

If you decide to go with the Ridgid jointer, which has worked well for me, pay attention to the assembly instructions. The thing is assembled up side down. The instructions suggest having a helper when turning it right side up. I did it by myself and hurt my back.

-Tom

Comment

Yea, I did mine alone also and its VERY heavy! I would like to raise mine to table saw hight and add mobile base. Will enlarge foot print on base when I get around to designing mine. Will watch this thread for info.

Comment

I had mine on a mobile base, it was very tippy.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
          I had mine on a mobile base, it was very tippy.
          Because of it being tippy did you take it off the mobile base?

I am wondering if a different model, like the typical 6" jointers with the cabinet like base would be better suited for a mobile base?

As for the ridgid, could something be made thats like the herc-u-lift with a drop down set of casters? If would need to be easy to construct since I am not very handy/creative with coming up and making something like that (but I am trying to learn though).

Comment

I just got the new Rockler catalog yesterday and saw that they have a new mobile base, utilizing 5" polyurethane tires. Based capacity was 18" x 18" up to 28" x 28" and there are extension rails available.

This might be a good option for folks who have seriously uneven floors or need to cross thresholds between rooms/areas.

If I remember right the price was $189, which is pretty pricey. But, heck, the wheels/casters alone are about $50 of that cost. It's not on their website yet, but if you're looking for a super-sized base, this might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
              Because of it being tippy did you take it off the mobile base?

I am wondering if a different model, like the typical 6" jointers with the cabinet like base would be better suited for a mobile base?

As for the ridgid, could something be made thats like the herc-u-lift with a drop down set of casters? If would need to be easy to construct since I am not very handy/creative with coming up and making something like that (but I am trying to learn though).
              The ridgid jointer, like most jointers, is extremely top heavy for it's footprint. I've seen people put other jointers on mobile bases, but those were the pricier jointers, ones that run about $700 and up.

I dont know what your shop looks like, but I put my jointer by the left end of my TS. It's a space that would otherwise be wasted and it is perfect for a jointer. jointers are low and can squeeze in to some spaces you wouldn't normally consider. Play around and you might have a permanent home for it.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                The ridgid jointer, like most jointers, is extremely top heavy for it's footprint. I've seen people put other jointers on mobile bases, but those were the pricier jointers, ones that run about $700 and up.

I dont know what your shop looks like, but I put my jointer by the left end of my TS. It's a space that would otherwise be wasted and it is perfect for a jointer. jointers are low and can squeeze in to some spaces you wouldn't normally consider. Play around and you might have a permanent home for it.

My shop is a small one car garage and there isnt any room for another stationay tool. But my crawl space off the garage would easily house a jointer. The setup is something like this, going from left to right:

Walk into the garage and the left wall has a shop vac and above that is the circuit breaker panel, workbench, and woodstove (actually sits in corner). Wall opposite the garage door has the wood staove and a base and overhead cabinent, then a door to a room and then a stairway up to the house. The wall on the right as you walk in has the door to crawl space, drill press, 14" band saw, table saw, and planer. Pretty much all floor space along the walls is used up. Whenever I use the table saw I have to wheel it out into the middle of the garage. Its set up this way so a car can go in there when needed (not very often but still need the capability). If I left the table saw out in the middle it would free up some space but then things get very tight in there. The back half of the garage was converted to a room at some point before I bought the house cutting the garage down to about 2/3's its original size. This is another reason I need every stationay tool to be mobile.

Something else I have to consider is that I tend to get water in the garage during heavy rains and seriously limits where I can put the stationay tools, dont want them in the parts where water gets in. There are other issues as well and the bottom line is the jointer has to be mobile, no way around it. EVen with the restrictions its a great place for someone like me who is a novice. I dont plan to be in this house forever but have to make due with what I have available. I will say the crawl space is awesome for wood storage as its about 4 feet tall and VERY dry, no moisture in there at all.

I can post pics if desired (probably not till tomorrow though).

Comment

The jointer can be against a wall and work fine. You only need the infeed and outfeed to have space, lengthwise, to use it. You can store things there that are mobile.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I'm using Portamate from HD. I bought it around Xmas last year for about $25. No tipping, very stable, cheeeap. And I'm able to move jointer with one hand.

--Fogl

Comment

I put my JET jointer on a Powermatic mobile base and it is solid as a rock. The key to that base, IMO, is that the rear wheels have a bolt that you tighten against the wheels to immobilize them. With the single front caster locked, and the two bolts hand-tightened I can feed 6" wide material in the jointer and it doesn't budge.

I picked up the base at Woodcraft.. it was a display model so I can't give you much more info other than it is made by PowerMatic and ran a bit over $100 and it's a three-wheel base.

I found the Rockler catalog and their new mobile base that I mentioned above is called the "All terrain mobile base". Still isn't on their website, but it looks pretty spiffy. All four poly wheels have securing locks so it should provide a solid foundation.

One of the tactics for countering the "tippiness" of a machine on a mobile base is to make the base oversized, then put a 3/4" plywood (NOT MDF) sheet within the mobile base footprint. Then put your machine centered on the plywood footprint and bolt it down. Having about 3" on each side extending beyond the tool base increases the stability of the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                        I put my JET jointer on a Powermatic mobile base and it is solid as a rock. The key to that base, IMO, is that the rear wheels have a bolt that you tighten against the wheels to immobilize them. With the single front caster locked, and the two bolts hand-tightened I can feed 6" wide material in the jointer and it doesn't budge.

I picked up the base at Woodcraft.. it was a display model so I can't give you much more info other than it is made by PowerMatic and ran a bit over $100 and it's a three-wheel base.

I found the Rockler catalog and their new mobile base that I mentioned above is called the "All terrain mobile base". Still isn't on their website, but it looks pretty spiffy. All four poly wheels have securing locks so it should provide a solid foundation.

One of the tactics for countering the "tippiness" of a machine on a mobile base is to make the base oversized, then put a 3/4" plywood (NOT MDF) sheet within the mobile base footprint. Then put your machine centered on the plywood footprint and bolt it down. Having about 3" on each side extending beyond the tool base increases the stability of the setup.
                        Thanks for the info - hopefully I will be getting the rockler catalog any day now. I had aslo considered what you mention, using an oversized plywood base. Still going to see if I can somehow mod a herc-u-lift from a 3650 table saw as that would be ideal.

Comment

Anybody know if these would fit the legs on the Ridgid jointer:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3703

This could be excatly what I needed. I just wonder how much clearance they have.

Comment

I am thinking of making a mobil base for the jointer I just picked up from HD. My idea is to get some 3/16 angle iron from work and make a square and weld the corners. Then I would put heavy wheels under it, just trying to think of a way to make the wheels lift up and out of the way. Or I might use 2 wheels and put legs under the other corners and just have to lift the one side in order to move it.

Comment

the herc-u-lift is not designed for the jointer. due to the dimesions of the leg stand, it is unlikely the retracting casters would fit. someone did adapt a herc-u-lift to fit the jointer and posted photos on this forum. it looked, to say the least, very unusual. i have the ridgid jointer and found this base to accomodate it very well:

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/acces...ext/50025.html
                              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X