X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid TS2424 / 3612

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello all - attempting to buy a TS. There are 3 used ones in ads over weekend.
    One is for the 3612 at $475, other 2 for 2424's at $325 range.
    Only Rigid I am familiar with is the new 3650. New design, nice but cannot see $600 for it myself being it new model.
    So I pose the question(s) - what are differences between the 3612 and 2424? If it is just rails are they interchangeable? Fence(s)different?
    Both mobile, right?
    Assuming they all "near" mint as stated - what one would you recommend and why?
    Thank you for informing the "uninformed"
    Or - is the warranty transfered?
    So for being so long winded - really need help!
    Cranky

--------------------
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of 'em
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

The 3612 had a bit better fence/rail design and if it were me, that's what I'd buy. But, if you got a 2424 cheap enough, you could try the fence and if you didn't like it, you could still afford to buy an aftermarket fence, within your budget.

Be aware, that the 3612 was just selling out at HD for prices reported here----$300 to $450----so your ad for $475 seems a little high----depends on how badly you want it and if it is indeed in mint condition.
    Dave

Comment

Dave-thanks for tidbit. I never saw one 3612 in a HD, still see one 2424 here, or did last week. Was the 3612 a flash in night? So the only difference was the fence? If that is true then maybe I should try to get 2424 at $325 and just get better fence-is that logical?
      Input-input -----help!
      Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

From what I understand, a decent fence costs $200+, so be sure to factor that into the decision.

Comment

Cranky----first, the 3612 came out last year, but due to the usual brillance of HD, it was very slow to ever make it onto the floor----two HDs by me---it never appeared.

I believe there were two models under the 2424 model----check the Ridgid parts site and there are two downloadable manuals. I believe that newer addition was when they added the micro-adjust trunnion (which is a nice feature). There may have been other additions.

FYI----some people found no problems with the 2424 fence, yet two reviews I saw gave it below average marks. There's no question, a good fence would really make the saw tops. I added a Biesemeyer Home Shop to my old Craftsman (same top casting as the 2424,3612) and it's been great----the 52" costs about $260 or you can sometimes find them used or parts listed on the Biesemeyer site. But, for $325 + $260----at $585---you will have a top notch saw.

Hope this helps.
          Dave

Comment

Just got a 3650 set of rails and fence fitted onto my 2424. These are actually the same rails that were on the 3612 and were the only primary change of the 2424 to make the 3612. I won't throw out the 2424 fence and rails but I do like the new ones much better.!!

Comment

ChefHDAN

Sent you an email. Where did you get the 3650 rails and fence?

Comment

ChefHDAN

Comment

ChefHDAN

Comment

Most nice fence systems chalk up at around 300 dollars not 200 dollars. Just wanted to share my 2 cents. If doing any kindof furniture building, fence is most important part of saw.

Good luck
                    Jake

Comment

I own a 2424, which I bought about 2 years ago. Paid full price, and am completely satisfied. The saw is so good that I use it to joint the edges of boards to be edge-glued into panels. I've had no problems with the fence; I took my time adjusting it for parallelism to the blade (there are hundreds of methods, but I used a dial indicator to parallel the blade to the miter slot and then to parallel the fence to the miter slot). It hasn't moved since.

Comment

$475 may not be a bad price for the 3612 if extras are included. For example, if I sold my 3612, the folding outfeed table would go with it along with any fence jigs I may have made. Those alone would make up for some of the cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X