Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with auger bits :(

Hi guys,

I'm building a small project where I need to drill about eight 1" holes into four separate, 6ft-long 4x4s. Each hole has to go all the way through the 4x4s.

Long ago I bought a corded drill from Target (durabuilt, 4 amp) very cheapo. And a while ago I got a set of drills (Black & Decker) that includes several spade bits. It is painful to drill the holes with this drill, even making a tiny hole through a 2" thick piece of pine takes a lot of effort.

So, I decided to get some auger bits from HD, thinking that they would speed up the process, but the damn thing chokes on me. As soon as the blades hit the wood, the whole thing comes to a stop. I don't know if I can drill all those holes with the spade bits, and I know for certain that I can't with the augers.

Could it be possible that I'm doing something wrong? Or is it the 4 amp drill I have. This is the first time in 20 years that I need to do something like this (before that I was used to work with hand-operated drills (don't know how they get called in English) or with power drill stations, never had any experience with these electrical, hand-operated tools.

If it's the hand drill, what would the be a good drill, something affordable, but yet, powerful enough to use my augers, or at least make my spade bits not to take more than 15 minutes just to penetrate. I'm almost certain that if I had a hand drill I would have made those holes already (even if that gave me major cramps on my hands.)

If someone could please advice, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by elnyka; 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM.

Re: Problem with auger bits

Drilling a 1" hole through a 4x4 should not be that difficult. I have used my Ridgid 18volt with a spade bit to easily go through a 2/4. I suggest using a different drill since this is where you are having a problem in my opinion. If you want make the drilling easier stop every inch or so and clean out the shavings. If you don't want to buy another power drill, pickup a brace and bit, seems to work for the Amish.

Comment

Like Frank says, you need a different (more powerful) drill to get that 1" spade bit thru. You cannot use auger bits in the 1" range with most homeowner type drills. Powering an auger bit thru wood requires low rpms, high torque, and enough amps all brought about by the gearing in the drill. My Milwaukee 0-600 rpms eats 11/2" 4x4s for breakfast, but it is geared differently. If you don't want to spend the $$ on an electric, go with Frank's suggestion and get a brace and bit.
      Good luck,
      Jim Don

Comment

You also might want to sharpen the spade bit. Even he best drills won't perform very well with dull bits.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I might get a hand brace just out of frustration... if I can find where to buy one. I went to HD again to ask for one, and the sales reps just gave me a blank stare. I can't remember having so much problems with one single manual thing like this, it's like straight out of Seinfield.

I guess I got what I paid for when I bought that hand drill at target (well, at least it has worked when putting screws on cabinets). Anyways, since using the 1" augers is almost out of the question with most hand drills, and unless I buy a brace from amazon, what amperage/brand would you recommend for hand, corded drills for around $100 or less?

And just out of curiosity, what would be the minimum equipment required to make my augers work (they are the #341460 5-piece set by RIDGID)?

Thanks (if these questions have been answered before, could you please point me up in the right direction... just in case I'm asking a question that has been covered ad-nauseam before.)

Comment

Try slowing down. If I use an auger bit at high speed in my drills it just binds up. Going a bit slower, they cut great.

Comment

Some Home Depot's rent tools, they may have a minimum charge that could be a fraction of purchasing a new drill. A right angle drill might be best so you'll have less of a chance injuring your wrist.

Comment

You might also want to try a higher quality brand of spad bit. I picked up a set of Skil spad bits a few years ago thinking they would handle my big hole (up to 1") needs. I quickly found out they are not up to the job. I've now got some Bosch spad bits, with spurs on the outside tips. They do a much better job of drilling in tough situations than the cheaper bits.

Also as mentioned above, keep the drill turning slow (variable speed drill?) and clean the hole out frequently. If the wood is wet, that just makes the job tougher.
                Dick

Comment

I have drilled 1" spade bit holes through 4 x 4s with my 12v DeWalt battery drills, as well as an old (1970) metal cased B & D 3/8 corded (low RPM). I don't hink a 4amp will cut it, but most corded drills with a 3/8" chuck should drive a spade bit. The Irwin spade bits are also good (and have the spurs like the Skil). The spurs help in wet wood like treated lumber as they tend to cut the wet fibers, instead of them wrapping around the bit and causing a lot of friction.

That said, the 12v battery drill does bog down with the Irwin Speedbore auger bits. (even 5/8 and 3/4). They pull in and bite too much wood for a low power drill.

I would first suggest a better spade bit, and pull it back out to clear the chips. If that doesn't cut it, any good brand name corded drill with a 3/8 chuck should work. Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc. I have never tried the Firestorm, Ryobi, etc, so cannot comment on their power.

Sharpening a spade bit is easy. Just takes a flat mill file.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I really think you need more drill. A 1/2" model that has a good side handle and is geared down so it provides far more torque. If you'll be doing lots of projects then you might buy one but for now you may want to think about rental.

The problem with many low cost drills is that they are geared up fast for drilling small (under 1/2" max) in wood and larger bits and projects tend to stall them.

Anyone serious about tools has more than one drill. A small high speed model for small holes and a larger more powerful and geared slow high torque drill for larger holes and for drilling in steel.

As for finding a Bit Brace and just cranking away, that's one way to get the job done, but you won't find them in places like Home Depot, Lowes and Sears anymore. You would need to go to a more serious tool dealer. I think Stanley may still make them but anymore people are spoiled and use powered tools.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Woussko; 10-06-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'd like to say that I got some Irwin spade bits and so far they seem to be drilling well into the 4x4s, so I guess it was the original spade bits I used. I'm still going to get a more powerful drill and a brace in the future, as I'm seeing I'm going to be doing more wood working than what I originally planned.

Thanks!

Comment

Maybe you would like this?
                        http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5095

Do watch that most bit braces have 2 and not 3 jaw chucks. They will not hold round shanks and are made for special cone shape 4 sided shank special bits. I have been able to use one with hex shank auger bits successfully. It's kind of fun grunting and groaning away making big holes.

If you're lucky enough to have an old timer hardware store ask them. They may have some NOS (new old stock) of good ones in the back room. Millers-Falls and Stanley among other companies used to make very good quality bit braces. Irwin used to make special auger bits for them. I'm sure other companies did as well.

Please see the pictures below to see the correct shank needed for most bit brace chucks. I'm also posting links where you can read up on what IRWIN has that you can use.
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100162
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100163
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100164
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100165
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100166
                        http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100167

I'm spoiled with electric powered and cordless drills so these aren't for me. I'm really surprised that IRWIN has this many types with the special shank end on them. Now I'm wondering if they really do sell anymore.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Woussko; 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X