Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Rigid Table saw - portable TS2410LS

Gentlemen,

My name is Scott Watson and I live in Northern California. I have purchased my second table saw Model # TS2410LS and I like the saw a lot, but the same thing has happened to the second saw as did the first. I go to turn it on and nothing.....I check the GFI, the plug, the extension and absolutely nothing. I have also checked the extension cord to be certain that it works on other poewer equipment and it does. THis newest model does not have a reset button on it as did the first one and I am lost as to what could be happening. I imagine that the motors could be fried, but what a pain to have to take it to the service center that is 90 minutes away. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions please.

Regards,

Scott Watson

Re: 10" Rigid Table saw - portable TS2410LS

Hello Scott and welcome to the forum.

Question: Are you saying that you bought one, found it to be dead, returned it and now the second one is also dead?

Only if this was or is not a new saw ... If new take it back to Home Depot.

Please pull the plug on the power cord for safety and then give the motor the sniff test. If it is burned up it will stink big time. Does it growl at all? If not, I would suspect an open circuit such as a connection that came apart.

Please try this and see if anything happens.
    1. Be sure plug on power cord is pulled for safety reasons.
    2. Manually turn blade a few revolutions in both forward and reverse directions.
    3. Be sure power switch is in OFF position and plug in power cord. If you can do so plug it directly into a receptacle and not the same receptacle you have used.
    4. Flip power switch to on.

Does anything at all happen? Can you hear clicking of the switch as you move it from off to on and back to off?

Let's try the process of elimination. It might be the carbon motor brushes are stuck. If you're a handy type you might take off the end cover and remove the brushes and clean them with some very fine sandpaper. Also a gentle blast of compressed air in the brush holders might blow out dust and may help.
    Last edited by Woussko; 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

if it's a new saw, drag it back to HD and get another one. don't waste time getting it fixed. but before you do that, plug a lamp into the same outlet and make sure the outlet works. it is unusual for two new saws to experience the same problem.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Let me explain a little more. The first saw I used for about 4 years and then it just up and died. Same sort of thing. The second I purchased to replace the first less than 90 days ago and now after having used if for almost three months, it has died as well. There is no stink to suggest the motor has burnt out. No strange noises, nothing jambed into the motor. Its as if there were a circuit breaker that had tripped somewhere and that is the reason that it is not getting electricity. There was a reset switch on the first one I bought but that never did anything to fix the first one and there is not one on the new model. I have already tried moving the blade forward to see if there was some sort of problem and I have tried several different outlets and extension cords with no result. In that I can return the saw, I am going to as it makes this all simple enough, but I don;t know if I want the same model now that two of them have just up and died. I like the portability of this model, but I am not sure what to get.

Thanks for the help, if you have any recommendations I am all ears.

Scott

Comment

If you can, I recommend returning #2 and try to get a refund or store credit. As for a replacement do you really need a compact portable table saw or could you go for a larger cast table model with induction motor? If you need a portable I would look at the Dewalt DW744 and its little brother the DW745 and also give the Bosch 4100 series a looking over. I do know a remodeling contractor that has several of the DW744 series and likes them very much for a portable. Back in the main shop they have a big bad Powermatic 66 cabinet style table saw. There's no comparing that with any portable but then look at a mini pickup and a big 12 wheeler dump truck.

What you go with for a replacement should really be based on your needs and what you can afford.

I wonder if with #2 if a connection came apart inside. It sure seems like it where it ran fine and just quit. It could be that the carbon brushes in the motor are hanging up. If the motor did burn up or wiring burned you sure would smell it. Right before #2 quit was it lacking power or did it run fine and just come to a stop?
          Last edited by Woussko; 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Where you doing anything odd when these saws quit? I have the same saw and use it almost every day and have had no problems with it outside of the dust chute clogging up. Cut everything from plywood to presher treated 2xs with my saw.

Jim
            http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. I was doing nothing special with the saw last, just ripping some 1x6 pine down to 1x3 for cabinet making. This new one makes no sense. The first one that up and quit I was in the middle of using. I had made a small cut and then went back to turn it on again and there was nothing.

I was packing this saw out to the car yesterday and on my way past a socket, I figured I would give it one more try before loading it into the truck and it worked! I was surprised. I made two components that I needed and it worked fine the whole time. I have to get into the brushes and see what these are all about because that could be the culprit. I have until the 16th to decide to return this one, I am losing faith and don't know what to expect and customer service doesn't know a thing, they just want it taken to a service center, I thought that they might actually have someone that knew the tools.

In any case, thanks for the help, I will pull the brushes tonight and see what is going on there before making a final decision.

Scott

Comment

In the online pdf manual, page 41, figure 61 shows the brushes. The instructions tell how to remove and inspect them.

Have you made any changes in the circuit recently? By this I mean, have you added a refrigerator or any other device? This really sounds like an electrical problem. It could even be some issue from outside your house, with the incoming power. It's really REALLY tricky to diagnose these kinds of issues. The only way is to get some kind of meter on the outlet that'll log power 24/7. Those meters can be expensive. Sometimes you can get the power company to provide you with something that will help you figure it out.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Scott

This may help you out some. Please go to this site - http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Literature-Search

In the search box type in TS2410LS_213_r_sheet.pdf or copy & paste it from here. This is for a downloadable .PDF file of the parts list for your table saw.

Look at page 6 and you'll see parts #44 and 45 which is the end cover and screws. Remove them and you'll have access to the motor end where the carbon brushes are. They are parts 51 (caps) and 42 (brushes). Take them out and note exact positioning of each brush. Are they worn to 3/8" length or less? If yes they must be replaced with new ones. They are part #816768 and you'll need a pair of 2 of them. If they aren't worn down to 3/8" or less then you can put the ones you have back into the motor. Try to clean them with super fine sand paper to remove any glazing or ruff spots on the sides. Do not mess with the end of the brushes. When apart try blowing compressed air into the brush holders. Any sawdust or other dirt can prevent them from sliding freely as they must do.

Also look for any bad connections.

If you have any trouble downloading the parts list, please PM me an e-mail address and I'll send the file to you as a .PDF file. It's too big to upload to this forum.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

The fact that it now runs is very hopeful and you may well get many more cuts form your table saw. Other than for the quitting issues how do you like it otherwise? Will it do all that you need it to do for you?

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the assistance. I wasn;t able to get to it today but will get to it tomorrow afternoon. I bet that is the problem. Honestly, I didn't even know they were there. What is it that they do, keep sawdust and debris off of the motor? I ran the saw today and cut up some leftover drywall, which is always messy but that could certainly put a fine l;ayer on the brushes.

Thanks again, you guys are great, why doesnt the factory have someone that could clue me in on something like this.

To answer the other questions, nothing new in the circuity and I like the saw a lot. Sometimes it can be a little gutless, but for the most part, given enough patience (thicker stock 2x12 Douglas Fir) it works just fine. The portability helps a lot for me so I can move it all around the property to use it close to where I am doing the project.

Thanks again,

Scott Watson

Comment

Well hmmm, that could be your problem right there, unless you were joking, sarcasim is always to hard to check in a forum. Dryall and table saws don't mix. The dust created is very fine and very, very bad for the motor of your table saw and every other power tool you have after the a-bomb amount of dust settles on them.

Comment

Cutting drywall with a table saw. Score with a utility blade snap it and cut paper on other side with same blade. No dust, much quicker than table saw and no dust. Cutting drywall with a carbice blade is fast and easy but it will take the keen edge off the blade and the dust. If this is your habit then the inside of you moter must be a mess.

Comment

Working...
                        X