X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening Forstner Bits

If you can you want to run this video in high quality. Look for the blue letters to link you there. Remember these guys have been doing this work for a long time. They are skilled and make it look easy. This is a job for experts and isn't a DIY project. We can't afford the diamond grinding wheels and special grinding machinery.

YouTube is having technical issues again. This may or may not work. If it fails, try going to their main site and in the search box type in sharpening forstner bits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4weRZs0HM
    Last edited by Woussko; 10-11-2008, 12:42 AM.

Re: Sharpening Forstner Bits

I always just used a good ol file. I only went through one bit insulating my entire house.

Comment

I used files, but now use wet/dry paper wrapped on a flat stick for the straight cutters and around a dowel for the inside of the edge cutters. I use the same on spade bits that have the spurs on the outside edge and for brace bits and augers.

This guy must have fingers of steel to take the heat.!!

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
        I used files, but now use wet/dry paper wrapped on a flat stick for the straight cutters and around a dowel for the inside of the edge cutters. I use the same on spade bits that have the spurs on the outside edge and for brace bits and augers.

This guy must have fingers of steel to take the heat.!!

Go
        Steel hands and stupidly brave too. I've seen his other videos and it would seem he loves his eyes but hates his fingers. In one video that I should post in the Safety section of this forum, I really thought he was going to seriously skin himself.

Comment

unfortunately the video link reports as no longer available.

Went to YouTube and was able to watch it.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

For sharpening my self feed bits I use the $10.00 pneumatic angle grinder with the small sanding discs that are swapped out on the 2" hard rubber base.I use an extremely light touch to keep the angle and tooth length on the cutters uniform.It is very important to maintain the .030 or more required on the shaver bit.If the shaver is too high the bit will just hop,too low and it won't be able to shave out the excessive wood.

Comment

drtyhands: Thank you for reminding me!! I have a pneumatic die grinder and it has set in the cabinet for a few years, mainly because I forgot i had it!!.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Unfortunately the video link reports as no longer available.

Went to YouTube and was able to watch it.
                I'm having the same issue. If you go to the YouTube main site in the search box try typing in something like Sharpening Forstner Bit that should help. YouTube has been having technical problems and is trying to fix them. I hope it time they catch up but they have their hands very full of work.

Comment

Freehand sharpening is fine if you're using your bits for making rough holes, but for fine woodworking you want your tools sharpened by a professional shop on proper equipment. Frankly that shop in the video looks like a circus.

Comment

I would hate to send my bits out for sharpening and find out it was this guy free handing them!
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

All of you need to see the total Jack@$$ with ExpertVillage on how to hand sharpen a chainsaw chain using only a round file? He is filing the teeth in reverse.

Someone that does know how can touch up teeth with a round hand file and it works fine but you do need to have a good sharpening service with proper equipment sharpen chainsaw chains. There's far more to it than meets the eye.

I agree with PapaDan and Newman. NO way would I want to freehand grind a good Forstner bit.

Comment

so how are do you travel to a true sharping shop, it would be three hours for me to even go to find one, so I find free hand fairly good alternative,

and if you learn how to sharpen things one can do a very good job, the trick is in the know how. IMO

yes a good machine will out do freehand if it is a good machine, I have a good machine for sharpening chain saws, it cost me as much as the one saw did, and more than other saw, but worth it. for speed and accuracy of sharpening but you can really mess things up fast too, if it got set wrong or knocked out of whack,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I take my saw blades and carbide bits to a local saw shop and they have a ton of modern equipment, and do a nice job.
                          I did sharpen my chainsaw by hand a few times and it worked well, but it's far too time consuming to do it right.

Comment

Working...
                          X