X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulding question

I am remodeling my bathroom and am putting up new base and door casing. My door for the bathroom is shifted over to one side of the room. I currently have 2 1/4" casing around the door, and this just gives enough room for the base moulding to slip between the wall and the casing. I would like to replace the existing casing with 3" casing. If I do this, the casing will then go all the way to the one wall, and there will be no room for the base molding. I don't think it would look right for the base molding to intersect the casing, in addition to the problem of how to have them meet without a gap. I am sure this must be a common problem, I just can't seem to figure it out. See the attachment for a sketch. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Moulding question

I think the wider casing will look fine. It will also mean you won't have that skinny 1" of wall there to try to paint between the corner and the casing. Personally, I think it'll look better with the wider casing, but it's hard to judge without a real picture. In our master bath we have a door moulding that goes all the way to the wall corner and the base butts up against it. It actually is fine, since it's down low and you really don't notice it. Your situation might be different. My opinion (such as it's worth as much as you paid for it ) is just go with the wider casing.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I think in your second drawing is correct. I would either butt the base moulding or cut the casing to fit around the basemoulding. I do not think you will even notice it after a while

Comment

Will this be behind the door? If so, how often will you actually be looking in this corner? I'd go with the second drawing too.

Comment

Working...
        X