X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase wood online

I know I've seen this somewhere in here. What are some of the sites that you all use to buy your wood? Seems like HD and Lowes are kind of expensive. I was kind of looking for a discount lumber company or something. Thanks again for the help!

Re: Purchase wood online

One thing you need to keep in mind is that ordering wood online can get expensive due to shipping. Something else, the limilted selection of hardwoods from HD/Lowes is surfaced on all sides, you pay extra for that when going to a hardwood dealer. The only reason I would call the HD/Lowes expensive is that its not quality stuff. Your best bet is to try and find a local hardwood dealer, even if you have drive a ways you may be better off than trying to buy it online. Or at the very least try and find a hardwood dealer as close to possible to you to help cut down on shipping.

I was in the same boat and couldnt justify paying more for shipping than the cost of the wood I was getting. So I searched for a hardwood dealer and found one only a few miles from where I live. The amount I am saving on shipping alone means I get more bang for the buck plus support a local business.

Here are some sites I use:

www.internetlumber.com (high shipping cost, need to order a lot to make it worthwhile)

www.woodworkerssource.com (avergae prices)

www.curiouswoods.com (about 2.5 hours from where I live and as a result the best price I have seen on shipping, plus they are great to work with)

www.woodfinder.net (this is suppose to be a great resource to help find local dealers and internet sites. personally I have not had good luck with that site even though many others seem to)

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Comment

try www.walllumber.com , they carry many species of hard and soft woods and their 20bf UPS packs are reasonable and good quality.
      I've bought from them twice with no hassles.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! I'm looking at making some bedroom furniture for my kids but when I went to price the wood it looks like I could buy some furniture for what I'm going to pay just materials. I guess the point is that it's something personal and that'll mean more to me then just something I buy. Anyway, I'd just like the best deal possible so my wife doesn't have a fit.

Comment

well, an alternative is to get friendly with a local arborist and tell him what species of wood you are looking for. Get him to dump some 7 or 8 foot logs on you then call someone with a portable sawmill and have them come cut it up. Sticker and stack and a year later you'll have some nice lumber, or pay someone to dry it in a kiln for you. Then you can then spend a few hours milling from rough into usable stock. You'll get the wood for less but you will have invested so much it will hardly be worth it.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Thanks for the help guys... After looking around online as well as calling and talking to local wood distributors I'm very discouraged with my idea to make furniture out of oak. This is going to be my first real furniture project and I'd like it to be nice, but for the wood it will require, I'm pricing about $700. Seems really expensive for a bunk bed.

While I was about and looking around I was thinking maybe I should use popular or cedar since they are quite a bit lower in price. Is there any reason that I shouldn't consider these wood types for indoor furniture? Pro or cons to going with those types? Sorry, I've mostly only worked with pine.

Thank for the idea Bob on getting raw wood and working it up. That might be a good idea for the future, but for now I'm trying to gather wood for this project to work on over the Thanksgiving break, so time is a little short on this project. Anyway, great idea!

Comment

By all means, do so. Make your children’s furniture from S4S pine, or poplar, even if it is from a BORG if that is what you have in front of you. Most furniture you can purchase from a dealer is garbage, even when it looks like quality pieces, it is most often not. Use this opportunity to hone your skills and go for it!!
              Steve.
              Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I forgot, don’t know about the rest of the country, but my local HD has some nice S4S ¾ 8" by 12 foot #1 pine for $10 a board. Very clear. You could build allot of children’s furniture for your quoted $700 worth of that pine.
                Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by mijohnst View Post
                  Thanks for the help guys... After looking around online as well as calling and talking to local wood distributors I'm very discouraged with my idea to make furniture out of oak. This is going to be my first real furniture project and I'd like it to be nice, but for the wood it will require, I'm pricing about $700. Seems really expensive for a bunk bed.
                  I know excatly what you mean. I am fairly new to woodworking and was shocked to find out how much wood costs, even just domestic hardwoods. I figured I could save a lot money buy making my own bedroom set but the wood (and time involved) pretty much makes it a wash. However, like Stevan said the quality of furniture from a dealer most likely isnt that great.

There will be times it would be better just to buy something instead of making it, the trick is figuring out when. Pine may not be the most desirable option to use when you plan on oak but a good finish on it will make it look fantastic.

Comment

While I was about and looking around I was thinking maybe I should use popular or cedar since they are quite a bit lower in price. Is there any reason that I shouldn't consider these wood types for indoor furniture? Pro or cons to going with those types? Sorry, I've mostly only worked with pine.

Thank for the idea Bob on getting raw wood and working it up. That might be a good idea for the future, but for now I'm trying to gather wood for this project to work on over the Thanksgiving break, so time is a little short on this project. Anyway, great idea!

I made that suggestion both as an idea for an alternate source of wood if you had the time and also to point out that it takes more work than you might at first think so the 'deal' you got on that log might not be so great.

You might be able to use popular in ares where it will not be seen. Without seeing your plans had to visualize but you can veneer some plywood with oak veneer for headboard panels and the like. Bed rails built up out of two layers of 3/4 ply could also be veneered and have a nice look.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Mijohnst if you list what area you live in someone might be able to suggest a supplier close to you.

Comment

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way about the price of wood. I called every lumber yard in my area and only one could give me what I was looking for. I think I'll take the encouragement that Steve just gave me and just build it out of pine and just save the money. Thanks for your input!

Also, that's a great idea Bob about using veneer. It is a great thought, but I think I'll just go with solid wood for this project.

Oh and I live in Huntsville, Alabama. I guess I could look at some places in Nashville (120 miles) or Birmingham (90 miles) and I'd probably have better luck. If I could find 15 oak planks of 1x10 in 8 foot lengths for around $450, it would be worth driving to pick it up. Wishful thinking I guess...

Comment

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way about the price of wood. I called every lumber yard in my area and only one could give me what I was looking for. I think I'll take the encouragement that Steve just gave me and just build it out of pine and just save the money. Thanks for your input!

Also, that's a great idea Bob about using veneer. It is a great thought, but I think I'll just go with solid wood for this project.

Oh and I live in Huntsville, Alabama. I guess I could look at some places in Nashville (120 miles) or Birmingham (90 miles) and I'd probably have better luck. If I could find 15 oak planks of 1x10 in 8 foot lengths for around $450, it would be worth driving to pick it up. Wishful thinking I guess...
                          The 12x1/2" RO board (it was all surfaced and a true 1/2" thick) that I used for a high chair seat was $5 something a linear foot. I'm guessing what you're looking for would be something like $1200 around here. Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                          X