X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter-cable 557

I'm look at plate joiners.If you do have the porter-cable 557 what do you think of it? Are there any other brand I should look at? thanks
    Andy B.

Here are the three brands I looked at before I bought mine;
    1. Freud JS102
    2. Delta DW682K
    3. Porter-Cable 557

In my opinion, the PC is by far the best of the bunch and offers the most features. It's the one I ended up buying and I've been very happy with it and don't regret paying the extra money it cost. So far though it has been more machine than my usage to date has called for. I've yet to use the FF biscuit capabilities and the fence has only seen a 90° angle setting. This is not to say that someday I won't use and be glad that I have these features.

All three models will do a good job of cutting biscuit slots. If at all possible, pick-up as many different models as you can and test how they feel in you hands. I like the way the PC plunge mechanism works, you may not.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This question gets raised alot. I've got a DeWalt that I'm pretty happy with, but the PC gets the most votes repeatedly. It has more features and a higher price to go with it. Alot depends on your needs.

Comment

I've had my PC 557 over a year now and I really like it. Its one of those tools that you use far more often than you thought you would. It works great on angles. I used it to build a 12' tall cone-shaped, octagonal, skylight chase from 3/4" melamine.

Comment

For what it is worth Craftsman has a plate jointer which is a Dewalt clone and is sometime on sale.

Comment

Andy

I have the PC and have no complaints with it; the need arose lately to use the 135° angle and that made it worth the extra bucks right there. Amazon currently is offering a $25 rebate and 1000 free biscuits, you can’t go wrong. I emailed you a Plate Joiner comparison test you may not have read.

Woodslayer

Comment

thanks Woodslayer
              I would of never look at the makita plate joiner.
              Andy B.

Comment

I have one and it has functioned perfectly for several years. Its fence design is superior to those of the competitors.

Comment

The PC is great. The fence is great.It is reliable. It does what it should everytime I use it. What could be better?

Comment

I have a PC. It beats the DeWalt hands down. the best feature IMO is the grity surface of the face which does not allow the joiner to slip on teh workpiece. the chip ejection works great and the fence is very adjustable.

Comment

I went ahead and got the pc 557.
                      Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                      X