X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stair treads

can i construction adhesive to fasten new oak stair treads over the existing plywood treads?
    the treads are 9 3/4" wide by 40"lg by 3/4"thk.
    i was also concerned that the treads may crack from seasonal movement.

Re: stair treads

I didn’t want to be the first to reply to this one, but you have got my curiosity peaked.
    Why are you proposing applying oak treads to existing ply with liquid nails? A lot more data, please.
    Steve.

Comment

what i want to do is re-cap, re-surface my basement stairs.they were covered with carpeting and have plywood treads under the carpet.i have removed the carpet and want to apply solid oak treads. i want to glue them down to the existing plywood treads and am concerned about the oak cracking from seasonal changes in humidity and temperature. they are only about 10" wide across the grain and i do not think that this is a concern but i want to make sure. hope this is clearer and thank you

Comment

I would be concerned about cracking. If you use liquid nails only on the back (one solid line of goop) and a dob midway on each side, you should be ok. I'm sure there'll be someone else with an even better idea, but that should work. As long as you don't try to glue the front down, it will have room to move in that direction. It won't move much over that width anyway.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I would not advise it. Not concerned with the cracking etc., but you will be changing the rise on the top and bottom step. The top will be shorter and the bottom higher. You may get used to it, but someone who is not could take a serious fall. The human mind programs our feet to just barely clear whatever surface we are walking on, and any slight difference will be noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by iwoodtoo View Post
            can i construction adhesive to fasten new oak stair treads over the existing plywood treads?
            the treads are 9 3/4" wide by 40"lg by 3/4"thk.
            i was also concerned that the treads may crack from seasonal movement.
            I am also concerned with changing the rise with 3/4" oak. I repaired some stair treads in the garage with left-over laminate flooring. The laminate boards were only 1/4" thick and will have minimal seasonal movement. Some laminate floor designs may be too slippery for your project. Engineered oak flooring is thinner if you want oak .

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
              I am also concerned with changing the rise with 3/4" oak. I repaired some stair treads in the garage with left-over laminate flooring. The laminate boards were only 1/4" thick and will have minimal seasonal movement. Some laminate floor designs may be too slippery for your project. Engineered oak flooring is thinner if you want oak .
              He could also consider a relativley thick veneer (maybe 1/8"?), which from what I've read would reduce the seasonal movement considerations. An 1/8"-1/4" of an inch is probably less than the carpet was in the first place so that would reduce the concerns about falls.

Comment

Working...
              X