New Ridgid Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid Table Saw

Bought mine in January and they go and update it. Dagnabit!
    Attached Files

Re: New Ridgid Table Saw

I just saw this article online. Granite top, too! And for $600, not too bad. Wonder what the size of the motor is, etc., if they changed any of that. Also, it does say that the rip capacity is much smaller, on both sides of the blade.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/dgroups/...StampAscending

Comment

I can't wait to hear the moaning and groaning about that cheesy looking fence and rail system.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I wonder about the switch to granite. I would thing the flatness & weight between granite & cast iron are about the same (I have no proof of either, just my first guess!). On one hand, you don't have to worry about the granite tabletop rusting! But I've gotta think that you have to be super careful moving the saw (I'm thinking between HD and your house) that you don't drop the package containing the granite tabletop, and shatter it.

Also, what if... you drop something heavy or hard (say a hammer) on the granite top, would that chip it? I have no experience with granite other than some friends' countertops, and they wouldn't let me drop a hammer on them to see how durable they are...

Comment

Awww the love of a true cabinet type table saw with a nice Biesemeyer commercial (not the cheapo home use one) fence on it.

Something more for my Dear Santa list.

Sorry everyone for posting this. I do realize that my dreamy table saw cost several times what this one does. I think of it as a nice long term investment and freedom from the machine being another PITA.

Comment

The saw looks like a little trade off between the good in the existing models and the iffy in the new one.

I like the enclosed motor mount on the side. This must make it easier to build a nice outfeed. But like CCusson, I have my doubts about the granite top and also about the split fence. Oh, and the left and right rip capacity is thriftier too.

When I saw the photo of the new model I nervously checked if I can still return my 3650 within the 90 days satisfaction. After reading the description of the new model I'm sticking to my 3650.
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius, I think you are doing the right thing keeping a tried and proven model with a pretty good track record. Let someone else be the first to buy the new model and see what happens. Personally I'll go for a good reinforced and aged cast iron top. If it gets messed up, some light grinding-sanding, cleaning and waxing and it's good again. Resurfacing a large piece of granite may well cost as much or more than the whole of the Ridgid table saw. Surface plates are big $$$ getting them resurfaced but then they are going for super quality flatness.

Comment

After reading the referenced article, it makes me wonder why Ridgid would want to replace the 3650 with this new saw. From what I can see, the new cabinet/hybrid would certainly make a great addition to the Ridgid product line, with the proven performance and following of the 3650, I can't quite comprehend why it would be dropped/replaced with a saw costing significantly more.

From my marketing experience I'd be more inclined to keep all three saws in the lineup at least until such time that the decline of sales proved to be the failing of a particular model.

I'll be looking to upgrade my Ryobi BT3100-1 sometime next fall, and certainly the Ridgid 3650 would be my first choice, based on what I've read here on the forum and seen first hand. Certainly the new saw sounds intriguing, but I'd need to see it first hand. Especially important will be the reviews and the opinions of the many experience woodworkers who will give this new model a comparitive look. It would be nice to know that the 3650 (or is it 3660 now?) would still be available if this granit-topped model doesn't come up to par.

CWS

Comment

in my brief and financially limited experience buying woodworking tools, i have seen each time i bought a tool almost immediately an improved version comes out. i bought a dewalt 12 inch slider and then out came an improved model with the sliding bars turned horizontically rather than vertical. i read reviews about howm much better it was. i just bought the ts 3660 and out comes this saw. but i have come to realize that there are people who would love to own the tools i have, which is a limited variety. i know the 3660 is so much of an improvement over the ryobi bt3000 that i had, and i dont mean any disrespect to ryobi owners. i guess what im trying to say is im a lucky guy to have a wife that lets me indulge in the tools i do have. im truelly a blessed man.

Comment

This is what they should have come out with a year ago in stead of the 3660, but they should have kept the 3650 and offered the hybrid at the next price point WITH a decent fence system and more power and a magnetic start switch, riving knife, etc.

Look at the new Delta I posted about that debuted at the IWF last month. from the photos and online descriptions I'd take the Delta over this new RIDGID I think, but I have not seen either one first hand yet.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Please excuse my stupidity, but what is a split rail fence? What are the pros and cons of this vs what the 3650 has?

I hope Wood Mag gets their sample for testing soon. I'd be interested to hear how the trunion and fence system work on this new saw. My 3650 is still running great, but this might be just the ticket for my Dad. Having a hybrid on a mobile base would be perfect for him.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but looking at the photo, it appears that the rails are a two-piece assembly. If so, than the nomenclature, "split rail fence" would probably be more appropriately tagged as a "split fence rail".

But, perhaps I may be making a wrong interpretation.

CWS

Comment

While I have no scientific facts to back this up I think cast iron and granite have about the same facture resistance. Depending on the grade of the cast iron it could even be lower. Cast iron will shatter I have broken up more than a few cast iron bath tubs.
                          Plus granite can be repaired by pouring in some epoxy and grinding it smooth. This can be done with cast iron but the adhesion is a problem.

The split rail fence while they will probably be looked look down upon by the "purist" they should function and be every bit as good as a solid rail fence system provided suitable anchor points are made in the saw.

Since the top is granite I will assume the trunnions are cabinet mounted which nearly everyone claims to be superior. However what is really important is the support that goes between the trunion that holds and supports the arbor. In many hybred saws this is a multi piece affair that is frankly an inferior design. If Ridgid kept the same design for this piece as they had in 3650 this saw should be superior to most hybred saws on the market.

Negatives. One you can't use magnetic attachments to the table top.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

Has anyone heard if there will be a riving knife on the new one? For my money the things that are given up do not make up for let alone exceed what is already on the 3660 saw. It will be a 'no deal' for me!
                            Later,
                            Chiz
                            https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                              in my brief and financially limited experience buying woodworking tools, i have seen each time i bought a tool almost immediately an improved version comes out. i bought a dewalt 12 inch slider and then out came an improved model with the sliding bars turned horizontically rather than vertical. i read reviews about howm much better it was. i just bought the ts 3660 and out comes this saw. but i have come to realize that there are people who would love to own the tools i have, which is a limited variety. i know the 3660 is so much of an improvement over the ryobi bt3000 that i had, and i dont mean any disrespect to ryobi owners. i guess what im trying to say is im a lucky guy to have a wife that lets me indulge in the tools i do have. im truelly a blessed man.

This is the axiom of all marketing: "Upgrade now before it's too late!"
                              Letting yourself get caught on the upgrade merry-go-round is what they live for, don't bite. Buy the best that you can afford that will do what you need it to do and be happy with what you got. If you look back it's all over. Cameras, computers, everything...they only introduce enough changes to entice you to buy AGAIN. Then just when you are ready to settle down with your new toy the 'new and improved" version shows up. KRUPP, the big German arms manufacturer was master of this from the 1600s on up to WWII. Want to read a good book on history of Europe and the wars over the past 400 years? Pick up "The Arms of KRUPP" by William Manchester at you library. You will be amazed at everything this company was into before the end of WWII. They were bigger than most companies today even without adjusting to todays dollars.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                              X