X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 Trunion Adjustment

My 3650 is out of adjustment by what most would see as acceptable, but not to me. I have run out of "adjustment" in the direction I need to go, which is minimal, but still is not where it should be. Any ideas on how to get it? I am patient, and will try anything that will work.

Thanks
    Joe
    Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Re: 3650 Trunion Adjustment

i found using the alignment method described in the owner's manual works very well. get a good trisquare and a set of feeler gauges. then just take your time when aligning the blade to the miter gauge slots and aligning the fence to the miter gauge slots. also, either the current issue or the one just before it of Shopnotes had a good, short step by step procedure for tuning up a table saw. if you don't like the idea of tapping the trunion to move it, you might try these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20591
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I had to completely loosen all 6 bolts, and tilt it off 90 degrees to get mine to move far enough to the right. A couple people have also posted that the tilt screw caused them problems also, (would not let the front of the trunnion move far enough to the right) and one gave a good fix. IIRC, with the blade set vertical, he removed the tilt crank handle, (the one on the right side of the saw) removed the two screws under it that hold the screw bushing to the side of the saw, and rotated the tilt screw a turn or two clockwise. This gave him room enough to move the trunnion to the right without the screw bushing assembly pushing against the case. After he got the trunnion aligned, he then backed out the screw until he could mount the bushing back on the case.

Bottom line, if you can't get the front to the right far enough (which you may perceive as the back not far enough to the left), you may want to try this. Also, if the blade will not stay in alignment when beveling to 45 (or starts binding), you may want to try this, as it seems the culprit is the tilt bevel screw pressing against the case putting a lot of warping pressure on the trunnion assembly. I believe one person actually had the side of the case buckle when he applied more pressure to get the bevel to 45 degrees, and a couple have had the saw assembly gouge out the curved tracks. If it starts binding when setting the bevel, stop before using too much pressure, and try removing the bushing screws and determine if side pressure (in or out) on the bevel crank is causing the problem.

Hope this made sense to you. Good luck.

Go

PS, on mine, I centered the micro-adjust lever when I had the trunnion bolts loose to give me some play later on to get it on the nose.
      Last edited by Gofor; 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by hossyman View Post
        My 3650 is out of adjustment by what most would see as acceptable, but not to me. I have run out of "adjustment" in the direction I need to go, which is minimal, but still is not where it should be. Any ideas on how to get it? I am patient, and will try anything that will work.

Thanks
        Joe
        I had the same problem Joe, and I cured that by using a piece of plastic shim, works well and now I am off by only .002 thousands

Comment

Working...
        X