X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw ExactLine?

I see that the new miter saws have some type of laser line - "ExactLine" - I purchased my MS1200 saw several years ago. Does anyone know if this laser can be bought as an accessory and retro-fitted? I can't find any accessories on this "new" site - the old one was much easier to navigate & purchases parts/accessories...

Brian

I believe this was touched on in another part of the forum awhile back and that your MS1200 can't be retrofitted with the new laser. Hope I'm mistaken.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Is there really that little of support for Ridgid Tools?

I too bought a Miter Saw, (12") a few years back and checked in Home Depot to see if I could buy a third Party Laser to upgrade my saw. It specifically says that It will not work on a RIDGID. Yet now this post is saying that RIGID does not sell an upgrade as an alternative? I believe a much higher expectation was projected by Home Depot and Ridgid that these tools were not flash in the pan and would be supported in the future.

So, they come out with a new version of the saw and don't also offer an upgrade to the same laser (washer form factor fixed to the outside of the blade) for the existing saws? Lame is not strong enough. Please tell me that my products will have support for years to come, including simple upgrades.

Grog

Comment

Should work

This is a laser that can be adapted to just about any tool. It is held on with sticky tape so you should check the accuracy everytime you begin.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/laserkerf.htm
        Sometimes it is better to appear like an idiot, then to open your mouth and prove someone right.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
        (When all else fails, play dead)

Comment

Thanks for the input but.............

Thanks, I have seen several third party lasers that require somewhat unstable mountings and have to be adjusted often. I am just very disappointed that RIDGID does not have an upgrade that fits perfectly. I have been telling my colleagues about a much higher level of benefit from customer loyalty than it turns out is true. We know that some of the guys at Home Depot are scary, but two veterans have now told me that the only answer (other than third party items that you noted) is to buy one of the new saws. I was scared when I realized that RIDGID tools were only sold at Home Depot long ago, but I decided it would be okay. Now that I am looking to keep my saw up to date and am told to buy a new one, I wonder if they are that much better than Ryobi.........

Grog

Comment

Well, Ridgid is to Ryobi what Oldsmobile is to Chevrolet. Oh, wait....Oldsmobile is no longer with us, my bad

In reality, the Ridgid line of woodworking tools and Ryobi tools share the same parent company, OWT which is owned by TTI (I think I got the order right on that).

Here's a snipit from the partership announcement which can be found on Emerson's website:
            http://www.gotoemerson.com/jsp/news/...ReleaseID=2053

"...
            Emerson Professional Tools & One World Technologies to Partner on RIDGID® Power Tool Line

Agreement to Build On 80 Years of RIDGID Brand Heritage

ST. LOUIS, MO, July 1, 2003 - Emerson Professional Tools, a business of Emerson (NYSE: EMR), today announced efforts to enhance the manufacturing and marketing of Emerson's RIDGID® brand bench top and stationary woodworking power tool products. Under the agreement, One World Technologies (OWT), a wholly owned subsidiary of TechTronic Industries Company Limited (TTI) (HKEx stock code 669; ADR symbol TTNDY), will supply these RIDGID® brand tools, leveraging the strengths from each organization in engineering and quality manufacturing.

The tools will be built to meet the high standards established by Emerson that customers have come to expect from the RIDGID brand name - hallmarks such as reliability, durability, best-in-class manufacturing, industry-leading design and professional quality.

"This new partnership and business model will further enhance an innovative line of power tools that already has the respect of end users everywhere," said Pat Sly, Emerson executive vice president and Emerson Professional Tools business leader. "RIDGID tools have long been recognized as superior products within the industry, and this agreement will strengthen that position."

The Home Depot is and will remain the exclusive hardware home center retailer of RIDGID bench and stationary woodworking power tools, as well as wet/dry vacs, hand tools, pumps and plumbing/pipefitting tools.
            ..."
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

When upgrading and improving their product lines, very few if any companies offer a retrofit for existing products that enable those products to be equal to the newer designs. With changes in technology happening almost on a daily basis it would be impractical if not impossible to incorporate new designs and features into existing products.

When Bosch intoduced the new 1590 jigsaw they didn't offer a retrofit kit for the 1587 to make it equal to the 1590. Nor, did DeWalt offer OEM kits to upgrade their existing miter saws when they recently introduced their new saws. Not sure why you're upset with Ridgid for doing exactly what everyone else does?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave's right,

Unfortunately early adopters sometimes get left behind. I've had my DW-708 SCMS for about 7 years, the new 718 I think it is that replaced it has the laser as an option, but it is not backwards compatible with the older 708. for some reason the 708 can not use the aftermarket add-on lasers that mount on the arbor, at least that what I seem to remember after looking at a few, but the LaserKerf which mounts differently will work. That solution as someone else mentioned requires repeated checks for accuracy as it is only mounted using some double stick tape, sound like it could be easily knocked out of alignment.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input............

I will start with this,

just because others do it doesn't make it okay...............

Thanks for the input, maybe I am in a snob for expecting a reasonable level of after purchase service...........I still am frustrated, a simple device added to the arbor should be upgradeable. Bygones..........

At the very least Home Depot should have made it easier to find out that the product that they carry (a small washer style that goes on the arbor) does not work on Ridgid and that they DO NOT HAVE A SOLUTION for the line of tools that they exclusively carry. A simple matter of level of service which I expect when I buy tools at a premium vs. the cheapest available.

Btw, this will not be shocking, but I have been to now 3 different Home Depot stores and each time had to convince their senior guy that the ots offering was not RIDGID compatible. Showed them the simple writing on the front of the package. That tells me that they sold that product to many other RIDGID tool owners prior to me asking...........

Grog

Comment

I got a washer mount laser included in a 12" 80T Irwin blade pack at the Depot a while back. I have not had the chance to mount it yet, but assume it should work pretty well. I anguished over this for a while and figured that the laser was just another gizmo, until I thought that if for no other reason a red line across your fingers was a really good advance warning feature.
                    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

BigGreyS.....You have a PM.
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

De Walt

I just bought the De Walt 715 MS. And I bought the laser kit for it.
                        I really like Ridigd tools. I read all the reviews that I can to determine which tool is best and go with that one(baised on price too.)

P.S. I finnal bought the Ridgid TS. Can't wait to set it up and start working.
                        Sometimes it is better to appear like an idiot, then to open your mouth and prove someone right.

Comment

Has anyone any experience with one of these laser devices?

Jerry

P.S., I realize it will not cast the line exactly where the blade will hit. Thats not a problem for my application.
                          It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Looks just about what Ridgid uses on the CMS.

Comment

I just put my MS1065LZ together last night. You have the option of not having the laser and if you can get the laser you replace the outside washer with it and use a different screw. It came in a bag with all the parts for both choices. I'm looking forward to helping my brother and law and my father with their homes on Saturdays.

it also had the R250SFA, which is my first finish nailer and for the total cost of 211.93 with tax. I saved 167 dollars instead of 189 for the nailer and 197 for the saw.
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                              X