X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection Question....

I'm at the final stages of building my shop and have ordered a Grizzly 2hp Dust Collection Unit, have the materials to run a 220 line to it and have finalized the location of it and my tools. That said, I'm planning on using PVC to plumb the DC unit. A few questions associated with that....

A.) Can I use 4" Drainage PVC? I believe this is Schedule 200 as opposed to the thicker Schedule 40 stuff. It's about 1/2 the price and much lighter.

B.) I've heard Ground PVC internally by running a bare wire in the pipe, I've heard ground externally by wrapping a bare wire around the pipe, and I've heard don't even waste your time with grounding it. Any thoughts or view points on this?

Thanks in advance! Once I get the shop finalized I'll have to post some pictures. Heck, Building the shop for me is just as much fun as the stuff that will be built from it :-)

Cheers,
    Ryan Cassidy

Re: Dust Collection Question....

I'm certainly not the definitive answer man when it comes to dust collection but here are my views;

1. Yes you can use PVC S&D pipe, ASTM 2729, for you collection pipe. As a matter of fact, you can use any kind of PVC pipe that you like. Your best bet when it comes to finding fittings to use with your pipe would be to choose either the S&D pipe or SDR-35 PVC pipe. Both of them have the same outside diameter and will fit the sewer fittings that are available at the home centers.

2. A home dust collection system in my opinion will not generate enough static electricity to be considered dangerous. I don't run a ground wire inside the collection pipe for my DC and it's never been an issue.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the information. I like the thin walled since it's A.) lighter since it will be hanging from the ceiling and B.) Cheaper. As well, the HD by me has some pretty good fittings with smooth curves and sharp bends. Same diameter as normal PVC but a 90 degree bend in 1/2 the space which is good with 4" pipe.

Ryan

Comment

Yea, the sched 40 is way too heavy for this application - wish I had found out that little bit of info but, OTOH, I have a a short run. I have noted a static charge on the pipe when I had a nozzle laying on the bench top while using a router and while it shocked me a little it wasn't much. And, although not the same but similar, Myth Busters did one where they were sandblasting a piece of pipe to see if there was enough charge to cause a detonating spark. There wasn't. Again, OTOH, they said that an arrow could not be split from its nock end by another arrow shot into it. Just too difficult to accomplish without deflection of the targeted arrow. But last night there was a show on the History channel (?) where the archer did just that (split the arrow). The MB guys and gal do their best but they aren't always right!
        Last edited by ironhat; 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM. Reason: clarity
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

LOL Good point.. I remember both of those episodes. I knew they might come in handy at some point. :-) Thanks for the feedback on the SCHD40.

Cheers,
          Ryan

Comment

"...good fittings with smooth curves and sharp bends..."

I would think you would want to stay away from sharp bends as they will become choke points if you get a long sliver of wood in there that can't negotiate the bend. Stay away from 90s, 1/4 bends, etc and use Wyes+1/8 bends for branches or a pair of 1/8 bends for turns to make the radius as long as space allows. This reduces the restriction to flow (which will help to keep your CFM high) and lessens the chance of something hanging up inside the pipe. It's also helpful to engineer in a couple clean-outs, ie, sections of pipe in strategic locations that will allow you to retrieve or remove stuck articles from inside the pipe.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X