X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP610

I am new to this forum and have a question. I have a JP610 that is about a year old. I have recently been using it quite a bit so I am noticing these things that I didn’t notice a year ago when I put it together and used it a few times. I have never owned a jointer before so I am not sure what to expect but I kind of think something is wrong. It was well rated and I never really heard anything bad about it, but mine has some pretty good vibration. When I turn it on, if I lay something on the table it will jump around and eventually fall off the table. Often the push blocks will fall out of their little holes while I am using it. Also I get like a washboard surface after I have planed a surface. Again, not sure how much of this is expected, but is there any way to minimize or eliminate these issues? I have heard that those link belts that you can buy aftermarket cut down on vibration, should I try that or is there some adjustment that I can make. One last thing, I have a dust collector which fits on the dust shoot, but a lot of shavings come out from under it, looks like they are coming from under the table but not inside the base? Sound normal? Not sure where they are coming from, hard to tell, don't want to take my eyes off what I am doing to see them falling, but I notice the pile after I am done. Any help or similar experiences someone could share would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    SDB

Welcome to the forum SDB!

It sounds like you have something out of balance on the vibration issue. I would unplug the unit, or at least remove the key to the switch. Remove the blade guard and check the blades. Make sure they are all in line horizontaly and verticaly. Make sure all the bolts are tight that hold the blades in place.

It's common for some chips to escape the machine. I notice a build up under the infeed table. I would remove the collection housing, and do a good clean out. It could be a mass of chips have lodged in there and blocking full collection capabilities.

Also check the machine for level. Make sure all four feet are setting firmly on the floor. If one has slipped out of adjustment, or you use it in a different location than you set it up in, it can have a "light foot" and some vibration can be caused by this.

Also check your belt alignment and pully tightness. If a pully was not correctly tightened before shipping, it could have moved. This can cause major vibration and other problems if not corrected.

I would also check all the motor mount bolts and base bolts. Vibration like that can cause alot of things to loosen up. Tension on the belt should be check as well. At least once a year shop machine maintanence should happen on all machines reguardless of use. It's just a safety and machine longevity issue.

Let us know how you make out!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Not to be sarcastic but, I have never had these problems with my hand plane and shooting board.

Comment

Try a little slower feed rate to get a smoother cut and eliminate the "washboard."

Comment

The vibration could be the belt, if the unit has been sitting idle for a long time. That problem should clear itself with use - I would let it run with no load for a while to warm up the belt. Also misalignment of the pulleys can give some wild vibration, especially in combination with a belt that is stiff.

Washboard is normally indication of a feed rate that is too fast. But when I sharpened my blades (to try my new sharpening jig, not because I thought they needed sharpening), I was amazed at how much smoother the finish was. Don't understand how sharper blades made a finish with less washboard, but it sure did.

The combination you give scares me a bit... Uneven planing, chips going the wrong way, heavy vibration. With that combination, you may have something loose or missing or misaligned in the high speed area - i.e. in the knife assembly. Therefore I would check that all three knives are perfectly aligned and tight before going any farther.

Comment

Working...
          X